• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Domenic
Thanks for the beatdown guys; it was educational. Sounds like it's Goodwill for that acid-wash shirt, at least. Um, I feel a bit unwelcome here; would there be a better place for me to get "newbie friendly" daily critique? It seems like this thread is more of a "bros club" of guys showing off to each other, to be honest.

Worth mentioning that I'm in college, and at a tech school at that, so the standards aren't that high around here... but still, I'd like to improve. I feel like maybe the jeans are more acceptable in college, though? Or do they just suck?

Anyway, I'll attach what I'm wearing today, which hopefully is better... it's more or less my "default" outfit... but I'm still preparing to get slammed, I guess, given how harsh the wording was last time :-/. Or is it just rude of me to ask for advice without reading more newbie threads etc.? That was kind of the "unwelcome" vibe I was getting.

this is actualyl a LOT better than that **** you posted before. you actually like you're dressed about as well as the average guy, if not a bit better, while that shirt-acid wash polo combo was really bad.

Vaitek

Reaction score
Anyway, I'll attach what I'm wearing today, which hopefully is better... it's more or less my "default" outfit... but I'm still preparing to get slammed, I guess, given how harsh the wording was last time :-/. Or is it just rude of me to ask for advice without reading more newbie threads etc.? That was kind of the "unwelcome" vibe I was getting.

I'm going to say the jacket is too short on you.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why do all of your clothes have marsupialed t-rex length arms?

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
omg. i had thought he rolled up the sleeves or pushed them up in which case it wouldve been fine. if the sleeves are actually that length that ones for the dumpster too

Vaitek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lmaozedong
omg. i had thought he rolled up the sleeves or pushed them up in which case it wouldve been fine. if the sleeves are actually that length that ones for the dumpster too

Definitely not pushed or rolled up.
frown.gif

I think the chest/waist area might be fine, but would have to see a pic with the jacket zipped up. The arms and length are too short I'm sure.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Domenic- probably the first thing you should focus on is fit. Ideally, your clothes are proportionate to your body. If you are tall and thin, as you seem to be, then slimmer clothes that are long enough will likely look best on you.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Domenic, don't feel too unwelcome. WAYWT requires thick skin, that outfit was really bad. Dressing well is all about developing an eye for what looks nice and what looks bad. You don't naturally have that skill, but don't worry, my eye wasn't that great 2 years ago when I first started to be interested in clothing either. It takes time to develop this skill, and if you're genuinely interested in clothing, it will come naturally with time as you research what you're interested in. I'll give a few pointers though... 1. Fit is PROBABLY the most important aspect of clothing. I don't know why this advice isn't given on SF more, but just go ahead an measure yourself. Find out your chest size and your waist size. 34-36" chest is an XS, 36-38" chest is a S, 38-40" chest is a M, 40-42" chest is a L. Waist sizes on jeans are self-explanitory. Your fit issue is ARMS. Sleeves on a long sleeved item of clothing should come down to your WRISTS, half way up your forearms is not acceptable. 2. Although this advice is sometimes decried on SF, it's a good exercise for putting together ONE outfit. Get a pair of dark jeans, Levi's 514 (slim/straight) or Levi's 511 (very slim) with no distressing whatsoever. Get a white tee or v-neck by Hanes or American Apparel or BDG or something, whatever fits you best. Use the chest size you measured to help you size it properly. And if you don't already have some, buy some Vans Authentic, or Converse Chuck Taylors in black or white. This is boring to wear everyday, but it should show you how simple and fitted can look good. 3. Get out there and shop. Try things on, don't necessarily buy stuff, just try things on. Go to as many stores as you can, and just try on something. Make a theme for the day, lets say it is t-shirts. So you go to the mall (not the best place to shop, but okay) and you are looking for a plain v-neck tee. You go to American Apparel, it is nice, but you think the v is too deep. You go to Banana Republic, it is the right sized neck, but the body doesn't fit quite right. You go to Zara, it is the right sized neck, but it is a little bit too short. You go to J. Crew, it is the right sized neck, but it is a little bit too long. You go to H&M, is it the right sized neck, the right sized body, and it is the right length! Don't try on one thing and say "good enough." Keep looking, you will eventually find something that works. Don't let the fact you're in a technical school keep you from dressing well, I am a chemistry student. Almost all of my peers dress terribly, sure I may turn a few heads, but I'm not worried about it. I'd rather be myself than worry about how other people see me. @JD: I know people don't know what fits and don't, I didn't used to either. But after trying on dozens of random items of clothing over months, I got a better idea of things. I can't imagine wearing 514's in your measured waist size being THAT horrible.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you really tall?

that jacket is miles too short in the arms.

You're gonna need 3 basic things to start off with:

1. white tees. V-neck is preferable. Make sure shoulder fit and length are good.

2. Jeans. For your body type, i think levis 511s would be a good fit. Take a look around. What's your waist size and inseam (measured from crotch of jeans to hem)?

3. Sneakers. Converse chucks are good, or purcells. Try and get a solid colour, white or navy is good.

Then you'll probably want a casual jacket, harrington jackets are good and i think lots of stores (e.g. jcrew) do one. Khaki is probably the best colour as it goes nicely with denim.

Domenic

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the feedback and advice guys; much appreciated
smile.gif

Originally Posted by hendrix
Are you really tall?

that jacket is miles too short in the arms.

You're gonna need 3 basic things to start off with:

1. white tees. V-neck is preferable. Make sure shoulder fit and length are good.

2. Jeans. For your body type, i think levis 511s would be a good fit. Take a look around. What's your waist size and inseam (measured from crotch of jeans to hem)?

3. Sneakers. Converse chucks are good, or purcells. Try and get a solid colour, white or navy is good.

Then you'll probably want a casual jacket, harrington jackets are good and i think lots of stores (e.g. jcrew) do one. Khaki is probably the best colour as it goes nicely with denim.

6'2", 165 lbs, 8% body fat. T-shirt size is medium, but I generally have trouble finding long-sleeved stuff that fits, due to rather broad shoulders. I got some help from a store guy once and we settled on XL slim-fit for a few button-down shirts. Pretty sure those look good on me; I'll post them sometime soon.

I have lots of American Apparel Ts, none white, none V-neck... lol. Those jeans were Levi 501. I do need to get good shoes; thanks for the specifics on those (Listi too). And yeah, I guess I need to replace that jacket, so thanks for the pointers there.

Thanks also to Listi for his detailed post; I need to do some measurements on myself, apparently. I'll also go read that jeans thread I saw somewhere around here, as I definitely don't understand jeans---fit, distressed ( = bad?), ripped (= ?), color, tightness, ...

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

6'2", 165 lbs, 8% body fat. T-shirt size is medium, but I generally have trouble finding long-sleeved stuff that fits, due to rather broad shoulders. I got some help from a store guy once and we settled on XL slim-fit for a few button-down shirts. Pretty sure those look good on me; I'll post them sometime soon.

There's no way you're anywhere close to a XL in any mall brand. I'm 2 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier and I'm at most a large in those.

Domenic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
There's no way you're anywhere close to a XL in any mall brand. I'm 2 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier and I'm at most a large in those.

It was... in a Canadian outlet mall? Maybe things are different in Canada??

Picture coming after my shower :p.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
smile.gif
. 6'2", 165 lbs, 8% body fat. T-shirt size is medium, but I generally have trouble finding long-sleeved stuff that fits, due to rather broad shoulders. I got some help from a store guy once and we settled on XL slim-fit for a few button-down shirts. Pretty sure those look good on me; I'll post them sometime soon. I have lots of American Apparel Ts, none white, none V-neck... lol. Those jeans were Levi 501. I do need to get good shoes; thanks for the specifics on those (Listi too). And yeah, I guess I need to replace that jacket, so thanks for the pointers there. Thanks also to Listi for his detailed post; I need to do some measurements on myself, apparently. I'll also go read that jeans thread I saw somewhere around here, as I definitely don't understand jeans---fit, distressed ( = bad?), ripped (= ?), color, tightness, ...

To be honest i think the 501 cut is not good for you. They're semi high waisted, which is either gonna make your legs appear real long if you wear them at your waist, of make your legs look even skinnier if you wear them around the hips (i.e. the crotch will be dropped and it'll be baggy around your thighs). I'd suggest 511s or 514s, with a lower rise and a slimmer cut through the thigh.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil

seems like everyone always buys stuff too big when they're just starting out trying to buy new things.

I bought mostly smalls and mediums when i first started buying shirts, which were all about a size big in reality. once i got a few things that fit well, i realized how big the other stuff was. I guess the good thing is my little brother is built bigger than me, so all those shirts i bought fit him just right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads