• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dfwcowboy

Reaction score
^
I meant sentimentally devalue.
wink.gif

Also, I'm pretty sure that service dials run north of five hundred bux these days; Rolex just hiked parts prices in Norway and now they're close to a grand for a basic dial.

Regardless of cost, if it's meant to be an heirloom, then I'd even more strongly favour leaving the original dial alone.

That's about what I figured the dials would cost. It wasn't all that much cheaper the last time I checked many years ago. The problem is the dial is completely unreadable at night without an external light source, which considerably devalues the utility of the watch, which is actually my primary concern. There really isn't that much sentimental value attached to them. They are just old watches that we wore for many years, and I wouldn't mind using again.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome pic, trip D.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that I would be on the low-end of the spectrum, but looking for a good quality watch that is versatile. My budget is 1.5 -2.3K. Could someone point me in the right direction, especially want someone reputable to purchase from.

Thank you.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino, thank you. Yeah, I walked into the AD wanting a new Sub, but saw this and had to have it, despite the TT. Funny how seeing a watch in person can make you feel a bit crazy.
There is definitely no substitute for walking into a place and trying a watch on to see what it looks like in person, and how it fits & feels on the wrist. Sometimes a watch unexpectedly puts a smile on your face and you just know its the right one. I think the combination of rose gold with a chocolate dial is really handsome. Enjoy it and wishing you happy holidays my friend!
cheers.gif

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At the top end of your range it would be hard to beat a second hand speedy

Agreed; the Speedmaster is a fantastic choice.

Aside from that, Nomos is a top contender for those who like the look; they're the real deal when it comes to watchmaking, which is an uncommon thing at any price bracket.

Last edited:

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arrival in time for Xmas

Two tone 14790, unpolished, nearly mint, box and papers. Surprised that I'm loving it this much so far.

I posted about this a few months back and was debating between the RO and Nautilus. After trying on both several times, decided that I liked the lines of the RO better. Tried on both 15202 and 5402's, and while they weren't too overly large, the 14790 just fit my wrist a lot better.

On another note, after wearing more watches in the 36mm range, my 39mm Lange seems huge now.

Merry xmas TWAT'ers!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arrival in time for Xmas

Two tone 14790, unpolished, nearly mint, box and papers. Surprised that I'm loving it this much so far.

I posted about this a few months back and was debating between the RO and Nautilus. After trying on both several times, decided that I liked the lines of the RO better. Tried on both 15202 and 5402's, and while they weren't too overly large, the 14790 just fit my wrist a lot better.

On another note, after wearing more watches in the 36mm range, my 39mm Lange seems huge now.

Merry xmas TWAT'ers!
Looks like it fits you perfectly. Congrats on your new addition!
cheers.gif
While I generally prefer watches in a single metal, I like the RO in steel and gold.
Actually, the first RO in our family was a 36mm steel and gold model with subdials for day and date that my Dad bought in 1987. It had a list price of $7,000 and the store he bought it from was no longer going to carry AP, so it was part of a liquidation sale, and he bought it for $3,500. To put things in perspective, the MSRP of a steel and gold Sub back then was under $3,000 and you could get any Rolex at a 25% discount back then. Anyway, Happy Holidays and enjoy your RO !!!

esoxm

Reaction score
To source a second hand speedy, I would check the watch sale section of omegaforums. I can pm you a few users that I can recommend.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boston-based internet seller Luxuwrist (www.luxuwrist.com) usually has a good selection of Omegas.

kimmo

Reaction score

Agreed; the Speedmaster is a fantastic choice.

Aside from that, Nomos is a top contender for those who like the look; they're the real deal when it comes to watchmaking, which is an uncommon thing at any price bracket.

Tudor also starts around 2K. I think Rolex Oyster Perpetual is a bit over but you can always ask for an offer.

General advice again: buy what you like but do your homework. Depreciation in some popular models is 50% the minute you walk out the door, if you buy new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads