• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pmeis

Reaction score
A question that divides opinion:
A luxury watch with a top notch quartz movement ? Thoughts…

View attachment 1970709

I've had a few different GS quartz models. While I definitely enjoyed them and they were just as nicely made as mechanical watches 2x the price, they are for me more like a fourth or fifth watch in smaller collection, not the first or second watch if that makes sense.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They apparently didn’t have the sense to have the date window correspond accordingly to anything else on the dial. It just eats up a whole numeral and a lume plot with little to show for it, a legitimate hole in the dial.
But yet the 5167 still looks miles better than the original.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am getting nervous looking at that.
9A628E68-F7C2-48D9-BD1B-3510F42FB42F.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New IWC boutique opening in DC area and Metro peppered with ads.

IMG_6539.jpeg IMG_6541.jpeg

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New IWC boutique opening in DC area and Metro peppered with ads.

View attachment 1970897 View attachment 1970899

It is so weird to me these brands run ads like this.

There is no way they produce incremental revenue. If I was running a brand @ scale like IWC, I would be buying up newsletter placements + going way more HAM with media partnerships where spenders are.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IWC doesn't sponsor Lewis. IWC sponsors AMG who happens to employ Lewis who's obligated to show up in IWC advertisements. There's a reason why AMG cars have IWC clocks on their cars.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Original looks like there was no effort. 5167 designers at least had the good sense to not have a not mash a date and a numeral in the same spot.
Exactly. But at the end it doesn't really matter because the only aquanaut worth to be mentioned is 5164.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1970709

GS doesn't do anything for me at all. However, in general, there are are only a handful of nice quartz watches that I'd consider owning. Those watches are a Rolex Oysterquartz ref 17000 or an all gold 19018 or 19019, or the original Piaget Polo bracelet watch from the late 1970s early 80's. The movement in the OQ wasn't just a basic quartz movement with a battery. The movement had 11 jewels, and the R&D that went into it was impressive, as this was their top of the line watch back in the late 70's. It was Rolex's first steel watch to have a sapphire synthetic crystal and bracelet with solid links, was more antimagnetic than a 1019 Milgauss. Here is an interesting article on OQs, http://www.oysterquartz.net/the_5035_movement.htm.

I wouldn't personally buy most high end quartz watches, as I know there are some companies that used to make quartz watches in the 1970s and 1980s, such as AP, who no longer have the parts or the ability to repair or service their quartz watches if there is a significant problem. Although, I understand they are looking into sources/solutions to that issue.

With a Rolex, I wouldn't really worry about the parts supply for their quartz watches, even if the last OQ's are starting to approach 20 years old.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1970709

If you don't mind that it isn't fully mechanical, don't mind the ticking seconds hand (or get one with a sweeping one), are fine with the design and the price - and don't mind the higher accuracy - then why not?

If Grand Seiko changed their logotype/wordmark I wouldn't mind a quartz driven watch from them - if the rest of the design came together nicely, like on the one on the left above.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bigger problem is that the ad is in America where only about 11 people know what F1 is.
Don't forget about F2!:

The ratio relationship between two frequencies evokes Distortion Product Otoacoustic Emissions (DPOAE): The ratio of F1/F2 (frequency 1 and frequency 2).

The frequency relationship is critical to evoking a DPOAE. If the two tones are spaced too far apart or too close together, a DPOAE will not be evoked. Evidence suggests that the most clinically effective F1/F2 ratio is between 1.20 and 1.23 (but you can experiment with other relatively close ratios…)

The DPOAE is most intense when the ratio of F1 to F2 is 1.22

But let’s start with the 1.2 ratio, in which F1 = 1000hz and F2 = 1200hz. The difference being 200hz

This ratio is particularly easy to work with since it corresponds neatly to the harmonic series, meaning you don’t need to think strictly in numeric frequencies – you can think of two partials relative to a harmonic series (which further means you can simply think in terms of “notes” instead of numbers). For example, the ratio of F1/F2 above corresponds to the 5th and 6th partials of the harmonic series, so that in the “key” of C, we could call our F1 the 5th partial (E) and F2 the 6th partial (G) and their difference being the fundamental (C).

The 1.22 ratio (F1 = 1000hz and F2 = 1220hz) is less easily transposed in accord to the harmonic series (though, if you wanted to make it fit, F1 would be the 50th partial and F2 would be the 61st partial with the difference being the 11th partial of a 20hz fundamental).

The DPOAE protocols employed in clinical practice are divided in two further categories. Protocols using equal intensities are called symmetric level 1 equals level 2 (L1 = L2), for example 70 + 70 dB SPL. Protocols using unequal intensities (L1 > L2) are called asymmetrical, for example 65 + 55 dB SPL. The latter is most common.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads