• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful but I can't get over the power reserve indicator. I really don't like it. I'd prefer it on the back of the watch.

I see it but still like the watch.

They actually have a model with the power reserve indicator on the back.

1675183583108.png

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Omega (following up on a prior discussion @mossrockss)

In my view, Omega does the opposite of the old Coco Chanel: it looks in the mirror, and adds at least one thing.

Omega has an excellent history of gorgeous watches - as good as Rolex - AND it is way ahead of the curve in terms of tech. The new spirate adjustment is serious technology, the industrialization of the coaxial escapement is a massive feat, etc.

I wish Omega had more confidence in their design. Of their watches, only the Speedmaster screams confidence - it has remained relatively unchanged, and it has received incremental updates.

In terms of how their product lines have changed - take, for example, the Seamaster 300 - the evolutions are more like how a Corolla has evolved than how a 3 series has evolved. And the confusion / overlap among the title of models - there is a Seamaster 300m and a Seamaster 300 - and overlap in design - the Seamaster 300 and the Railmaster. As a buyer, I find it frustrating and struggle to make decisions. I cannot even count the number of different SKUs.

I also have a beef with wearing comfort. The CK859 was a great release in part because it was so wearable. It was thin, moderately sized, etc. But why the hell was it a numbered release? That is so incredibly stupid to me.

Another line I do think is cool is the Aqua Terra line. The 38mm Aqua Terra is a good watch, and they have done a nice job with it.

So, why I ***** about Omega?

Release the Spirate technology in a new Aqua Terra that comes in 38mm and 41mm, make it come on a bracelet only - a new bracelet with quick adjustment - also give a rubber / leather option, and make it quick change. Do 1 or 2 dial colora, and discontinue everything else. Don’t mention Spirate on the dial. Don’t state that the dial is made of Zr02. And have the watches available in shops in 2 weeks. Oh, and cancel every other damn model of Aqua Terra. Next year, come out with a model with a different color dial, or do a two-tone option. Make this easy for the customer.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Omega (following up on a prior discussion @mossrockss)

In my view, Omega does the opposite of the old Coco Chanel: it looks in the mirror, and adds at least one thing.

Omega has an excellent history of gorgeous watches - as good as Rolex - AND it is way ahead of the curve in terms of tech. The new spirate adjustment is serious technology, the industrialization of the coaxial escapement is a massive feat, etc.

I wish Omega had more confidence in their design. Of their watches, only the Speedmaster screams confidence - it has remained relatively unchanged, and it has received incremental updates.

In terms of how their product lines have changed - take, for example, the Seamaster 300 - the evolutions are more like how a Corolla has evolved than how a 3 series has evolved. And the confusion / overlap among the title of models - there is a Seamaster 300m and a Seamaster 300 - and overlap in design - the Seamaster 300 and the Railmaster. As a buyer, I find it frustrating and struggle to make decisions. I cannot even count the number of different SKUs.

I also have a beef with wearing comfort. The CK859 was a great release in part because it was so wearable. It was thin, moderately sized, etc. But why the hell was it a numbered release? That is so incredibly stupid to me.

Another line I do think is cool is the Aqua Terra line. The 38mm Aqua Terra is a good watch, and they have done a nice job with it.

So, why I ***** about Omega?

Release the Spirate technology in a new Aqua Terra that comes in 38mm and 41mm, make it come on a bracelet only - a new bracelet with quick adjustment - also give a rubber / leather option, and make it quick change. Do 1 or 2 dial colora, and discontinue everything else. Don’t mention Spirate on the dial. Don’t state that the dial is made of Zr02. And have the watches available in shops in 2 weeks. Oh, and cancel every other damn model of Aqua Terra. Next year, come out with a model with a different color dial, or do a two-tone option. Make this easy for the customer.
Totally feel you on all those points. There is a lot of low-hanging fruit for them to really be crushing it, which as you mention includes great, consistent, easy-to-use, extremely comfortable bracelets; a clear delineation between lines with fewer models to confuse you; more restrained and consistent design. Higher on the tree is the big one, thinner cases.

I love the brand, but find the models I like the most are from 15-20 years ago (Speedy notwithstanding).

I hope/think they'll find their stride in terms of the chaotic nature of their brand right now in 20 years when my kids are buying watches. I'd love for someone there to create a Steve Jobs-style graphic with 6 watch categories and just figure out what the best of what they make now fits in each, and just do those as best as humanly possible.

Here's what I'd do if it were me:
Speedmaster — Moon Watch only (and they can even do it in different colors, but keep the iconic case size and shape)
Seamaster 300m — Bond watch can never go away and I love this watch so I'd agree they can do more of the "take one thing away" approach on it; the Bond 60th gives me hope for a return to more subtlety
Planet Ocean — This is the line that carries on the best Omega diver design language (165.024), but it's too thick and has become too industrial-looking to me. Bring back the humanist charm and make it thinner (pull a Tudor and change WR if you have to, nobody cares about 600m)
Aqua Terra — 38 and 41 work just great and wear smaller than they seem in my experience
Constellation (but not the fugly one) — Kill the Manhattan case and just make pie pan dials pls
DeVille — The Tresor line is the most elegant to me of all DeVille's, these can exist at 38mm and just be done with it

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Agree that the most Emblematic Omega model is the Speedy, but it has probably been « watered down » now with the MoonSwatch, even if Hayek’s idea is to gain new future Omega clients.
Let’s face it, the really interesting Seamaster diver model (second emblematic) is the historical one (with military links like the Sub), so the heritage line is imho the best one, even if like Rolex with the Sub, the diameter variations are not great.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, most of the rest is even worse.
? Not my experience.

Also, was just in London back in June for a week. Walked around with my Sub on but just didn't do the sketch nightclub thing.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m just taking the piss. Parents were English, am a British citizen and lived in and around London for six years or so. For the record, never felt unsafe.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would buy a reissue pie pan (with co-axial escapement of course) in a heartbeat.

They're probably waiting for some anniversary to release it.

m.jpg
I get crap for this on Twitter but I really like the Globemaster. It's due for an update, and so I hope if/when they do they'll make the case shape a bit more elegant. But even as-is, it's just so nice in the metal. On the secondhand market even this two-tone with gold isn't wildly out of reach, so I'd likely get it on-bracelet but wear it on a navy croc strap like they sell it
IMG_4436.jpeg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get crap for this on Twitter but I really like the Globemaster. It's due for an update, and so I hope if/when they do they'll make the case shape a bit more elegant. But even as-is, it's just so nice in the metal. On the secondhand market even this two-tone with gold isn't wildly out of reach, so I'd likely get it on-bracelet but wear it on a navy croc strap like they sell it
View attachment 1885645
Go big and get the platinum version.

Side note- the green strap on this platinum Globemaster cost over $1000. I saw it at the Omega boutique and they said they keep it around in case someone buys the watch. They'll swap out the strap for a new factory one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads