• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Even with a deployant I find leather straps wear pretty quick. In ten years of regular but not daily use I’ve been through 5 straps on my Monaco.
You have to get bigger watch rotation. It is the same thing as with shoes. The more pairs you have the less you need to fix them.
Also it benefits us in the way that we dont have to stare at the same pictures of rolex over and over and over again.

Last edited:

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What in the World??? Genta how could you? ;) (est. 10 to 18 K)
110632612_1_x.jpg

110632612_2_x.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@jmewhpg, the Moonphase Ultra Thin is superb.

I'd also consider the Drive Extra Flat for a day-to-day precious metal watch.

View attachment 1663167 View attachment 1663168 View attachment 1663169

That's a fantastic option! A former regular here(I haven't seen him here in a little while has one). I love the clean look of the dial, the ultra thin case, and the rather unconventional shape, the hand wound movement...its just a great watch and one that is easy to overlook!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even with a deployant I find leather straps wear pretty quick. In ten years of regular but not daily use I’ve been through 5 straps on my Monaco.

Well, one thing about about daily wearing watches on straps, unless they have a rubber backing, in the summer, the sweat from your wrist prematurely kills straps. It dries out the leather and eventually causes it to crack. So one rarely gets more than 2-3 years out of straps worn daily including summers. That's why I generally wear a watch on a bracelet or a rubber strap in the summers.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Side note on the watch clasps: One sided clasps must be outlawed. These are the most uncomfortable dig into your wrist things. Two sided clasps are the only ones I would keep on the watch. I had to remove one-sided contraption made by CHopard (jewelry brand-what a shame) and replace it with generic pin buckle to make the watch comfortable.
Echoing Dino, bracletes are for Summer , straps are for Winter. Foo should comission Winter strap with mink lining , come to think of it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side note on the watch clasps: One sided clasps must be outlawed. These are the most uncomfortable dig into your wrist things. Two sided clasps are the only ones I would keep on the watch. I had to remove one-sided contraption made by CHopard (jewelry brand-what a shame) and replace it with generic pin buckle to make the watch comfortable.
Echoing Dino, bracletes are for Summer , straps are for Winter. Foo should comission Winter strap with mink lining , come to think of it.

Yes, its surprising how many watch clasps just aren't that comfortable. I found some of the original Lange and JLC deployants were not that comfortable, although, from what I heard of you take the strap off and reverse the direction of the the deployant, it actually becomes comfortable for some people. I wonder if trying that with your Chopard would help.

pmeis

Reaction score

This is a big complaint of mine as well. The only onesided deployant that works for me is the one of my Santos, where the leather/rubber tongue ends up sitting between the metal work and my wrist.

I think I saw a new Omega with a similar setup recently as well.

Last edited:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The key to a deployant (one-sided) clasp is to reverse the short and long sides of the strap from how you would wear them with a tang. Then it closes exactly like a bracelet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads