• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to the experience part - The two boutiques who are ADs for various brands I use I've got a relationship built up with my SAs. I'm not a big enough hitter to move up the list or anything but the relationship is there and they know what I generally like if they take something interesting in on trade and can text me to give me a heads up to swing in. It has also come in handy when buying a ring and other gifts. Although I've also had experiences that defy the logic of needing to build a relationship - the strangest of which was the time I went into the Rolex Michigan Ave store in Chicago (had never purchased there) killing time while my wife shopped. Standard can we help you find anything, what are you interested in discussion - made a comment about how like everyone else I couldn't find anything stainless - The SA went and pulled a Daytona out of the back and that was that. Right place, right time I guess.
Assuming you bought it??

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming you bought it??
That's the worst part of the story - I didn't. In my defense I was 1) not expecting to find anything and was actually just killing time while she shopped 2) I didn't love the model they had and was working toward my grail 3) was in the middle of designing my wife's engagement ring with my jeweler and needed to put a diamond in it at the time so I had two options if I wanted it - rob the grail fund or get her a smaller stone and 4) I didn't want to buy it just to flip it

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to the experience part - The two boutiques who are ADs for various brands I use I've got a relationship built up with my SAs. I'm not a big enough hitter to move up the list or anything but the relationship is there and they know what I generally like if they take something interesting in on trade and can text me to give me a heads up to swing in. It has also come in handy when buying a ring and other gifts. Although I've also had experiences that defy the logic of needing to build a relationship - the strangest of which was the time I went into the Rolex Michigan Ave store in Chicago (had never purchased there) killing time while my wife shopped. Standard can we help you find anything, what are you interested in discussion - made a comment about how like everyone else I couldn't find anything stainless - The SA went and pulled a Daytona out of the back and that was that. Right place, right time I guess.

Well, one can build a relationship with SAs at boutiques, ADs, or grey dealers. Then yes, they may contact you if something of interest comes in, or if they know you were interested in some hard to find watch that just arrived.

I was in the Rolex boutique on Michigan Ave a little over a year ago. The only sports model they had was an all yellow gold black dial Submariner. So I guess you just happened to be in the right place a the right time.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the worst part of the story - I didn't. In my defense I was 1) not expecting to find anything and was actually just killing time while she shopped 2) I didn't love the model they had and was working toward my grail 3) was in the middle of designing my wife's engagement ring with my jeweler and needed to put a diamond in it at the time so I had two options if I wanted it - rob the grail fund or get her a smaller stone and 4) I didn't want to buy it just to flip it
Smart decision. It's hard to enjoy the Daytona when you're dead.

ronscuba

Reaction score
What happens when you have an AD employee who isn't knowledgeable? Will that deter you from buying? I have talked to numerous SAs at ADs who don't know anything about the watches they're selling. Not every SA is a watch expert or even interested in them.

I suspect that most people who are "into watches" already know as much or more than a majority of SAs due to online research
Yes I agree. If I really want an item I am going to buy it. But my wife and I do not always know exactly what we want ahead of time.

Different sizes, colors, models, accessory items, etc. It is nice the salesperson was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Remembered details about my wife and I from our last visit. Included gift items with our purchase. I like and use the leather bag I got with my purchase.

Last edited:

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it depends on what you mean about “care less”. I’ve bought from Wempe before in NYC. I’ve always had my questions answered thoughtfully and have found the sales associates to really know the brands. I’ve never experienced indifference the few times I’ve purchased there.

With that said, yes, of course, what I’ve spent pales in comparison to someone who probably spends well into the six figures annually given where they’re located. I’m not expecting the store to open early or to accommodate my schedule after hours, nor am I expecting a call stating that “we have some new pieces in and I’m holding a few aside for you.”
that's what I meant exactly. I guess it comes down to: do they call you on hot pieces or not?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's what I meant exactly. I guess it comes down to: do they call you on hot pieces or not?

Oh absolutely not! But I'm not expecting that either. But the few times I've been there I've never felt as though the SA was either indifferent or didn't care. I was pleased with the customer service and the after sale follow up. Very professional bunch.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had two options if I wanted it - rob the grail fund or get her a smaller stone
Or discreetly decrease one or more of the stone's four C's to make up for the Daytona purchase. ?

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, decreasing the C for carats is NEVER the right answer.

Story time? Also, I'll let someone else test out my theory first, although given that I have already gone through this process (sans the Daytona) 6 1/2 years ago, I hope not to do so again for a variety of reasons.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two words: Cubic Zirconia.

(This could explain why I'm not married.)
I'm not too proud to deny that when I was designing my wife's ring, after seeing various quotes and estimates, my Google finger may have gotten a little itchy at times with terms related to CZs and synthetic "diamonds"...

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clarity or cut seems like the best answer.
Considered all of those things and decided I liked her (and my life) more than the watch. Having spent an embarrassing amount of time researching because that's my personality. Clarity is the one (unless she can see every imperfection with her naked eye when you go in just to see what she likes in which case thoughts and prayers to your checkbook.) Definitely not cut - If you go for the best cut you can find it actually looks bigger (and sometimes the mm measurement is actually bigger)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads