• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Are you seriously baiting me? you know the recherche alone is split in like 10 gutenberg pages... but I will dig, given time, and reply.

edit - 16 Gutenberg pages. No trace of Patek. Do you remember which volume of letters? Google is also unhelpful. I would be highly interested in Proust's opinion on watches.
It is in the Correspondance.

Last edited:

nygooner

Reaction score

I love the 5134 Travel Time

Patek-Philippe-5134J-001-Travel-Time-18K-Yellow-Gold-Manual-Wind-49637-1.jpg

Those PP breguet are incredible. If I were limited to one watch, the 5196P would be it. But my choice was the aforementioned 5170g.
View attachment 2154747

The 5940 must one of the wrongest of wrong Pateks ever… Along with it’s siblings.

Vintage: I’d go a 130 or a 1503. Modern: with @chocomallo on the 5026, while i do like the travel time, but limited to the Platinum model, so I’d also recommend 5040 if you like obscure P’s

Not Patek but have you considered the GP 2710? Many varieties of metal and dial with Breguet numerals. Some had guilloche dials. I believe it was a Lemania movement. Scuppers would know. Can probably be picked up super cheap.

Interesting choice. Classic in my eyes. But, yes, as C said, was a Lemania (all-be-it reworked) movement… Think it was the 1872. Alternatively, the auto version of the same ilk was a ETA with DD module… Solid pass. Can’t recall the reference

Thanks all, some great suggestions here. Dont think I'm comfortable going as vintage as the 130, etc but the 5196/5026/5134/5040 all look great. Will have to try to see some of these in person.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is in the Correspondance. I remember (as usual with Proust on family names) that he misspelled : « Pateck »…
Will have a look…

@am55 found it: Correspondance, tome II, lettre 208. P319.

« pour et par la montre »
"Je ne crois pas qu’un type est un caractère. Je crois que ce que nous croyons deviner d’un caractère n’est qu’un effet des associations d’idées."
à Robert Dreyfus
[7 septembre 1888]

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It is in the Correspondance. I remember (as usual with Proust on family names) that he misspelled : « Pateck »…
Will have a look…

@am55 found it: Correspondance, tome II, lettre 208. P319.

« pour et par la montre »
well we all know Proust liked to watch

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My vote is for the 5134 Travel Time (yellow gold on white dial) and the 5170G-10 (white gold on black dial) based on purely aesthetic reasons. They are two of the most attractive modern Pateks IMHO. I don’t have much use for a second timezone function, and even less for a chronograph on a dress watch, but they’re gorgeous.

Last edited:

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of these pricier strap makers actually have product that lasts longer than the cheaper guys?

I burned through my Lange alligator in 6 to 10 months with two watches, I think they use Jean Rousseau.

I want to put alligator on some of my other watches but idk about spending $$$ on something that is going to be thrown out in 6 months…

Maybe also extra wear because I wore them continuously without letting the leather get a break? Similar to nice shoes?

symphvaria

Reaction score
Do any of these pricier strap makers actually have product that lasts longer than the cheaper guys?

I burned through my Lange alligator in 6 to 10 months with two watches, I think they use Jean Rousseau.

I want to put alligator on some of my other watches but idk about spending $$$ on something that is going to be thrown out in 6 months…

Maybe also extra wear because I wore them continuously without letting the leather get a break? Similar to nice shoes?
I believe the high end strap makers have different tiers of quality (and pricing), so you could probably commission something much nicer than the stock strap. No idea if that would equate to something that actually lasts longer or just something that's prettier.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I sometimes wonder if the price just reflects local labour costs. I've seen some beautiful work from bespoke workshops in Vietnam or Indonesia (not the eBay ready to wear straps padded with newspaper). Conversely not been impressed with either OEM options or French brand names. The South East Asians use the same Heng Long skins as Hermes.

I'm not going to recommend anything here given a. the SF affiliates would be impacted b. I quite like those affiliates when they post here c. I'm not qualified to compare high end leather goods, probably. Being an uncultured sock of Reginald Jerome and all.

pmeis

Reaction score

Like, is that everyday wear in hot temperatures? I've never even had a cheap strap die that quickly.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My bank branch closed so I had to move my watches to a safety deposit box at a different branch. I think that this is the first shot with slot four filled. Slot one (inexpensive travel watch) doesn’t reside in the box. View attachment 2154547

curious how having some in a safety deposit box impacts your wear rotation? Do you have 2-3 at home and 2-3 in the box at any given time? Or do you just go long stretches without wearing a particular watch?

you're certainly punching above my weight, but is there a particular you chose a safety deposit box as opposed to an in home safe? still too much risk?

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In one of his numerous letters Marcel Proust speaks of Patek (at his time a young firm) as a « montre pour la montre ». I will leave it to the wisdom of @RJman and @am55. They will probably appreciate.
And Breguet is mentioned in Yevgeni Onegin iirc.

On topic: as to my watch aquisition, I'm still waffling between the Tank Americaine or VC 1972.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads