• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buy the seller? What's really strange, is that the auction was in 2018, but Goldberger is wearing it again in his recent talking watches with Clymer. Super weird story. Vintage Rolex is murky stuff...

I just saw the youtube video from Theo and Harris talking about this. Supposedly this was sold for $6.5M for charity but it was never said which charity nor how much actually went to charity. Shady all the way around.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will never quite understand the willingness of North American buyers to blindly buy into the myth of the "Italians" - in this case, I am referring to the Auro Montanari's of the watch world. Hodinkee, in particular, should be to blame for their lack of journalism. However, within one month, Perezscope "caught" Auro Montanari twice - first with the Crash, and second with the Unicorn.

I do not necessarily "blame" the seller, here. The seller is interested in obtaining the highest price he/she can for the watch. I do, however, blame Phillips - who are extremely sketchy and should take a lion's share of the blame - and to a lesser extent, I blame the media.

This should make every buyer wary of the auction world.

Finally, regarding the charity point - I'm sure that Auro received "FMV" for the watch, whatever that is, Phillips got their nut, and then whatever was left over went to charity.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every once in a while I’ll get an itch to buy a vintage watch. Fortunately stories like this come up at just the right time to remind me how stupid that would be.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw the youtube video from Theo and Harris talking about this. Supposedly this was sold for $6.5M for charity but it was never said which charity nor how much actually went to charity. Shady all the way around.
Saw that too (posted it here this morning but took it down once I found the article…). Super sketchy…Hodinkee, Bacs, Phillips, Goldberger…fvcked up…

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every once in a while I’ll get an itch to buy a vintage watch. Fortunately stories like this come up at just the right time to remind me how stupid that would be.
I think it can be fine. But in the SUPER rare terrain **** gets suspect real quick…

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think something like the Rolex Unicorn or Cartier Trash is sketchy AF but if you’re just looking for a vintage speedmaster, Rolex Sub, or something like that you should be relatively okay.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it can be fine. But in the SUPER rare terrain **** gets suspect real quick…

I think anything is fair game for scum bags. I have one vintage watch that was gifted to me, a totally boring 50s Omega deVille. It is a terrible redial.

I’ll admit though that I don’t really believe that honest/upright people exist at all.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will never quite understand the willingness of North American buyers to blindly buy into the myth of the "Italians" - in this case, I am referring to the Auro Montanari's of the watch world. Hodinkee, in particular, should be to blame for their lack of journalism. However, within one month, Perezscope "caught" Auro Montanari twice - first with the Crash, and second with the Unicorn.

I do not necessarily "blame" the seller, here. The seller is interested in obtaining the highest price he/she can for the watch. I do, however, blame Phillips - who are extremely sketchy and should take a lion's share of the blame - and to a lesser extent, I blame the media.

This should make every buyer wary of the auction world.

Finally, regarding the charity point - I'm sure that Auro received "FMV" for the watch, whatever that is, Phillips got their nut, and then whatever was left over went to charity.
Why does Auro still have the watch? Did the deal fall apart after some of this came to light?

----EDIT-----

I think I confused the Zenith in the recent video for the Daytona...sorry!

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally, regarding the charity point - I'm sure that Auro received "FMV" for the watch, whatever that is...

I thought that if someone donates an item to charity, they get a tax write off in the amount that the item sold for at auction.

symphvaria

Reaction score
Nice! (I will never understand the allure of the "hulk")
I don't understand the allure of divers in general. At times it definitely feels like their target market is people who wished they lived more interesting lives than they actually do.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur