• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seem to be a common complaint, even to my friend who picked this up last week.

They should've balanced it with the crowns at 2 & 4 o'clock... or do a square date pusher but I suppose that will affect water resistance.

Yes, crowns at 2 and 4 would have worked at least to my eyes. They could even have done the more classic style small depressed button, which requires a stylus to press. I think a square button might only have affected water resistance if someone accidentally depressed it underwater. The Patek Nautilus Chronograph even with angled pushers, which are not screw down is still water resistant to 120m. With Rolex, for example, I read many years ago that the screw down pushers on Daytonas have nothing to do with water resistance. They put them on Daytonas to keep newbie idiot owners from either accidentally, or intentionally (and stupidly) pressing the chronograph buttons while underwater. I believe at one point in the late 60's early 70's some people were bringing Daytonas back to dealers/service centers after activating the pushers underwater. After adding screw down pushers, dealers could then tell clients, make sure these are screwed down to the case before wearing in water.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This may, or may not, be a hot take: in my view, the VC Overseas - with certain limited exceptions - kind of sucks.

To me, it feels exceptionally derivative, it has way too many Maltese crosses, and is too shiny. Further, unlike the AP 16202 or the Patek 5711, it does not have the thinness. Finally, I didn't used to mind it as much, but the Cory Richards / Everest version made the regular edition feel so unremarkable.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may, or may not, be a hot take: in my view, the VC Overseas - with certain limited exceptions - kind of sucks.

To me, it feels exceptionally derivative, it has way too many Maltese crosses, and is too shiny. Further, unlike the AP 16202 or the Patek 5711, it does not have the thinness. Finally, I didn't used to mind it as much, but the Cory Richards / Everest version made the regular edition feel so unremarkable.
Agree.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. For me the Overseas just never quite hit the mark, and it always felt like it took a back seat to the RO and the Nautilus. I can remember trying on the 1st generation Overseas, which was their first decent attempt at a sports watch since the 222 (I don't count the hideous 333 or the Phidias), but thinking it just wasn't the same level of quality or as appealing to my eyes as a RO or Nautilus. When I started looking seriously for a belated 40th birthday present, I looked at the 2nd generation, Overseas, the 15202, 15300, 15400, the Aquanaut, and Nautilus. The 2nd generation Overseas, was IMHO, the worst version, it needlessly grew to 42mm (without any new developments in terms movements or movement sizes), had clunky hour markers, clumsy hands, annoying different sized subdials on chronographs, a really garish bracelet, and the only real tie to their sports watch history was the bezel. It also just didn't have the workmanship or really interesting nuances that one finds if you look closely at the cases of the RO or Nautilus. I found the Aquanaut too derivative of the Nautilus and not my taste, and I've always liked the look of the RO a little more than the Nautilus, so my choice was easy. Personally, I think the current/3rd generation of Overseas is a big improvement over the 2nd generation, but personally, I'd rather have a 222 - especially if VC ever made one in white metal with a dark dial.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My biggest problem is the size, they all seem like they're just too big for an integrated sports watch. But then again I feel the same way about the 41mm Royal Oaks.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My biggest problem is the size, they all seem like they're just too big for an integrated sports watch. But then again I feel the same way about the 41mm Royal Oaks.

For the hell of it, you should try on if possible at some point a 39mm RO, especially a 15202 or its replacement. The Jumbo/Extra Thin ROs fit differently than their 41mm siblings or even their thicker siblings like the 15300.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the hell of it, you should try on if possible at some point a 39mm RO, especially a 15202 or its replacement. The Jumbo/Extra Thin ROs fit differently than their 41mm siblings or even their thicker siblings like the 15300.

Jumbo is actually the only current size I haven't tried on just yet. The 37mm worked fairly well and I actually liked the 38mm chrono a fair bit

ABB458CF-01B5-4CF9-BEC5-307850F216DB.jpeg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That Everest version is so good

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jumbo is actually the only current size I haven't tried on just yet. The 37mm worked fairly well and I actually liked the 38mm chrono a fair bit

View attachment 1825612

The 38mm chrono looks good on you. The Jumbo fits differently because although 1 mm larger in diameter, the case and the bracelet links are thinner (causing the bracelet to seem a little less rigid and drape more around the wrist) than those of the other RO models.

l1mab3an

Reaction score
In the Overseas pricerange I do prefer the Historique American but obviously thats just so apples to oranges.

I agree, and then I see photos like this and just dig it ..
1661456544030.png

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
翻訳はDeepLの方がいいですよ

Everyone bitches that 3 ATM isn’t enough, but I saw a guy at the beach today wearing a Tank on a leather strap. Guess he didn’t get the message.

And DeepL for the win. Google is atrocious between Japanese and English.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur