• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ultimate blazer

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I consider ticket pockets on a blazer a bit of an anomaly--certainly nothing I would ever specify. Given the nautical/boat club origins of the blazer, it's not a garment to wear riding the British railways. In fact, I am increasingly coming to regard ticket pockets in general as a sort iGent-ish affectation. Surprised nobody has so far mentioned enameled buttons (my favorites) as an option for the "ultimate blazer."
Hope springs eternal. Ticket pockets also ruin the line of a nice jacket. I don't wear enamel buttons much but now I want to get a pair with naked cheerleaders hand painted on them.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Hope springs eternal.

Instead of naked cheerleaders, you should consider getting yourself done up naked on your buttons (assuming, of course, that a usable size is available.)

Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Ticket pockets also ruin the line of a nice jacket.

True in some cases since not all tailors have the flair for it.

Notably, Italian tailors.

- B

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by etb
Is Uniqlo a good brand for jackets and/or suits? I'm kinda new to this. Thanks.

Like any "affordable" or "high street" megabrand, Uniqlo is great for budget and entry-level purchases; better, in fact, than the majority of its rivals in terms of quality, construction and material. The design is fair-to-good and additionally, its designer collaborations thus far have been much less throwaway and eccentric/overly trendy than those of its contemporaries

In conclusion: it's a great place for basics, but rely more on your accessories to bring the jackets and suits to life. My beige Uniqlo cotton-mix jacket is very good considering it was bought at a thrift shop price, with the benefit of decent fit, cut, sizing and durability

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Instead of naked cheerleaders, you should consider getting yourself done up naked on your buttons (assuming, of course, that a usable size is available.)
I could get painted posed doing the dance of the iGent. I would need a Frisbee sized button and I would just hang a single one on a chain around my neck in honor of Flav. I think Jimmy Kimmel would say this is about the gheyest suggestion he's ever heard.
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
True in some cases since not all tailors have the flair for it. Notably, Italian tailors. - B
This makes a lot of sense and explains why you end up with the results you do.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look below. Redundant Post

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
In fact, I am increasingly coming to regard ticket pockets in general as a sort iGent-ish affectation.

Oh come now ... some of us have had them on our jackets since before Al invented the Internet ... long before there was an 'i-anything' ... lone before we even dreamed there would be an 'i' ...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Oh come now ... some of us have had them on our jackets since before Al invented the Internet ... long before there was an 'i-anything.'

True, I got them on mine for years before there were any clothing sites. However, never on a blazer.

Oddly, since my participation on these sites began, my enthusiasm for ticket pockets has declined, and I have not gotten one in several years.

This only points to the nebulous concept of "iGent." Many of us who are supposedly consummate iGents almost never wear ticket pockets. Once again, "iGent" has revealed itself to have no consistent meaning.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
However, never on a blazer.
Absolutely. Why not even my Huntsman blazer has them! That must be a challenge for their cutters.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
...some of us have had them on our jackets
I'm thinking I should beg Colin Harvey's forgiveness.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the OP, I already own the ultimate blazer.
wink.gif
It's features are:

Loro Piana 8.75 oz/yd 100% super 100s wool

a.\tsingle-breasted
b.\t3-button, with the lapels rolling to the middle button
c.\tNotch lapels
d.\tSide-vents
e.\tFlapped, jetted, hacking pockets, with a ticket pocket (with apologies to Jan Libourel)
f.\tSmoked MOP buttons, 4 sleeve buttons with functional buttonholes
g.\tHalf-lined in light blue Bemberg

I find myself reaching for it as a default, especially when I travel professionally and want to look sharp, without standing out too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads