• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hard to tell from your pictures. Wouldn't shorten the jacket. The left sleeve is a bit longer than the right so have them evened up. A slight amount of shaping at the waist would be ok but make sure he takes it up thru the blades into the armhole. The blades are a bit roomy and will look sloppy after shaping the waist if not reduced.

Asca1

Reaction score
Hi all. I originally posted this in the new member/quick question thread, but I'm afraid my insecurity has expanded past the scope of that thread. I just received a Benjamin Classico II suit. I completely love the quality of the suit and the pants fit fantastically. The jacket gives me some concern, but I really know very little about suit fit--this is my first foray into quality suiting beyond the fused suits I owned for interviews in law school, which have bridged into the first few months of my professional career.

Do you all think this jacket fits well enough to keep? And, if so, what alterations would you suggest? I know the sleeve pitch isn't perfect, but I think part of that is my shoulders being farther back than normal to pose for the camera timer.

Picture quality is pretty mediocre, and I apologize for that, but I don't think I have the means to get better pictures before I need to decide if I'm keeping it or not.

This is a 36S. eHaberdasher has a 34S available, which measures .35" less in the shoulders and 2" less in the chest (16.8" shoulder and 37" chest vs. 17.15 shoulder and 39" chest). I think the shoulder measurement might be better, but would that make the chest too tight?

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^

I would put on a proper shirt and retake pictures.

Drez

Reaction score
I have a lovely canali jacket that's not getting wear time due to fit; would love your advice. Im thinking maybe taking it in an inch in the chest two in the waist? Could due with an inch off the length as well but afraid that could throw everything off.

nothing145

Reaction score
Hello!

Trying to get my MTM Black Lapel suit with a proper fit.
Had one jacket which was way off in fit, sent it back for a remake with several measures changed
These are photos of the remade jacket, without any alterations done at tailor.

Whats your opinions on the fit?
What can be fixed by a tailor?
Should i keep it or try to go for another remake?
What should be changed to the next remake if i want to go on that route?

Thanks for all the help, appriciate it!

// Martin

Drez

Reaction score
You're going to need better photos... like ones taken outside in daylight.
Wow could not agree more. The originals are nowhere near as dark as that, I posted via mobile and couldn't tell but on screen looks terrible. Apologies. Will try again.

Drez

Reaction score
Hopefully that's a bit better; in hindsight ignore the attire otherwise, it wasn't planed as an ensemble and I feel sort of bad posting it now :/

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket could be narrowed at the waist, and it looks a bit long. The sleeves are too long. The problems in the upper back, upper sleeves, and shoulders might be posture-related. Upper back and length issues are minor alterations.

ShakeEmUp

Reaction score
Cross Posting this from SWD. I'm new to the business side to things and need to start developing my wardrobe for internships and such.

I need suit advice and I couldn't find an equivalent thread in the menswear section. Is there one?

I currently own this J. Crew suit that I had tailored a while back, and obviously it's too tight and there's pulling at the buttons. Is there any chance I could have it let out at all, or is it far too small at this point? The jacket is a size 40. It seems like it's decent in the shoulders, but I included a shoulder shot to see if I should size up to a 42. Any advice would be very appreciated. Apologies for the ****** photos/posture

yelnatasch517

Reaction score
I'm wondering if this suit fits me properly. It's an Off Saks 5th that I ordered recently during the sale.
I ordered a total of 9 suits in various colors and some are in short and regular. I feel I fall right between the two lengths, but hopefully some of the veterans can chime in.

Please ignore the sloppy dress shirt. It was just something I had laying around while I tried on the suits.

Also, do I need to fix these pants? What is going on with the pockets flaring out like that?
Is it easily fixed or even worth fixing for a $400 suit?
If it's worth fixing, does anyone know of a reputable tailor in Los Angeles who could fix it properly?
I know the shirt looks a bit weird, but that's because I have my arms raised.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited:

kashmir

Reaction score

Hi all,

Got this Oxxford coat off eBay. Haven't done any alterations, really love the Oxxford fit; but what can be done with the back here?

Drez

Reaction score
Thanks for your help; some confirmation for me and I think I feel comfortable going into the tailors now. The shoulders are more than posture, the shoulders have quite a bit of padding and I wonder if they extend a quarter inch too far as I sort of think its creating a divot. As for the back, that's harder for me to say. Either way I think next step is a visit to the tailor.
Thanks

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cross Posting this from SWD. I'm new to the business side to things and need to start developing my wardrobe for internships and such.

Quote: The jacket isn't tight at the waist and isn't causing the pulling. Problem is the shoulders and jacket balance. The fronts are long and collapsing causing the pull. It is exaggerated on the right side form a low shoulder. Lift the fronts about 3/4" at the lapels and the fronts will be clean. You need shoulder/ collar adjustments.

Your arm positions don't help and are unnecessary

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads