1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. webzeb

webzeb Well-Known Member

Hello,

First, thank you for your feedback.
    Not being a native english speaker, I am not such to get correctly what you mean by 'you stand somewhat erect'. May you explain?
    By which margin would you increase chest, waist and hip in the front?

It is true that I have a lower shoulder.
    This is somewhat exacerbated those days, cause I have been suffering from back and shoulder pain due to inadequate bedding. (Recently moved to a new location for my job.)

Cheers,

Fred

2. stocken

stocken Active Member

Sorry for multiple posts. Altered the waistband a bit and pressed the pants. Still issues are there.
    Ofcourse my body proportions makes it difficult the get a nice fitting pattern, but would Really like some feedback!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Wibby

Wibby New Member

Hello Tailors.

I purchased a JP Tilfford Samuelsohn suit at Harry Rosen in Vancouver. I live just south of the Canada border and bought in Canada to same dollars with the exchange rate. I had heard Samuelsohn's suits are fantastic and honestly I am a bit disappointed with the fit.

Could something be done to this suit to fit be better? Should I return the suit? Do I need a M2M?

for reference, I am 6'3, 215lb. Size 42L suite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Senior member

I recently had a pair of trousers tapered and the tailor cut the fabric, to wear there is very little to let back out. I've dealt with several tailors and none had done this. Is this a normal practice? I personally don't like it.

5. webzeb

webzeb Well-Known Member

Hello,

The supplier is suggesting alterations only:
    "[...] the issues are with the tightness in the hips, apart from the sleeve width you mention.

For the hips, I can reduce the length a bit, curve the sides a bit more and add gussets. That way, the area of the tightness will get some room. Slimming the sleeves, reduction in sleeve length can be done too."

They have an alteration/remake policy in case the customer screwed-up some measurements, which is good.
    As responsibility is on my side, total cost would be 135USD for the three shirt (I ordered two other shirts with the same measurements), including return, alteration and shipping back to me.)

Regarding the sleeves, I think alteration sounds like a good solution.
    However, I am a bit more concerned about the shirt width issue. If you take a look at this photo:
    [​IMG]
    you can see that the shirt is "running up in my back". I think the reason is it is already too tight just below the waist. (Maybe the shirt waist was also shifted down a bit by the unmeant shirt length increase and is now at the height of my lower waist instead of my waist?)
    As far as I understand, gussets would give some room in the hips region, at the bottom of the shirt, but I think the problem would remain in the upper region, even increasing the curvature.

You opinion would be much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.

Fred

6. seejulius

seejulius Member

• @Wibby - I would definitely get a custom suit. With the amount of alterations that are needed for that suit, it probably will not look as great as you would like it.

@webzeb - I would do the following:
    Take the shoulders in a touch.
    Open the seat, so it doesn't bunch as much in the back.
    Obviously take up, and in the sleeves possibly the cuffs as well.
    Chest & Stomach look okay, not really sure without you lifting up your arms.

7. webzeb

webzeb Well-Known Member

Thank you for your feedback. Is this doable by alteration or is a remake necessary? Ì have the impression that the supplier do not want to remake the shirt. I can understand perfectly understand that since the measurements mistakes are my fault. Nevertheless, as the original cost of the shirts + the cost of the alterations and return/shipping will reach a total of something like 160USD/shirt, I want a good result. Please find additional photos. I hope this helps: [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. stocken

stocken Active Member

Hi,
    New Caruso jacket. Size 48. Worried that it is abit too small. Sorry for the non-matching garments, feed back would be appreciated!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. sensuki

sensuki Member

Hi this is the first fitting from a bespoke shirt I had made. The mob I used recommended I take the shirt home and wear it and wash it before I come back for any adjustments.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know that the back needs to be taken in. The upper chest and upper back are a bit tight/pull during arm motion. I'm not sure what's causing the pulling towards the bottom of the armholes though, that's also something I think is a problem but I'm hoping someone can tell me what's causing it and any other issues they can see. Quite happy to take more photos of different angles / movements if needed - cheers!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  10. TeeJayHoward

TeeJayHoward Member

Fresh from the mail. Got so excited, I didn't even put on shoes. Oops! At your recommendations, I dropped down from a 42L to a 40R. Unfortunately, the brand I wanted wasn't available in my size, so this is a different cut. I'm honestly not too impressed with the bottom half of the jacket. Somewhere around the waist area it seems to just start flaring out. How can I make this suit fit like this? I have a much slimmer physique than the pictures show!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Is that Kingsman again?

12. Shaft

Shaft Well-Known Member

Isaia Aquaspider. Black. Size 40. Obviously the sleeves need to be shortened, but I am unsure after that. I can also return it. I think I want to bring in the waist a little. Is it too long?
    [​IMG]

Isaia Aquaspider. Black. Size 40. I need feedback. Obviously the sleeves need to be shortened, but after that I'm not sure. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  13. Livid

Livid Member

Took a quick low, quality photo just to get some comments on the length of this jacket. Would like to know what to change next time.

[​IMG]

14. TeeJayHoward

TeeJayHoward Member

Nope. This time it's Oxxford.

15. hrv123

hrv123 Senior member

I had these pants taken in an inch at the waist and I've been left with all this bunching and pulling at the centre seam. I assume the tailor also took in the seat with the waist and this is what I've been left with. is fixing this as easy and releasing the centre seam a bit?

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

16. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Well-Known Member

There was no image of the trouser. There should not be any complication in taking in the waist 1". It should be easy to correct.
    Paul Winston
    Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com

17. hrv123

hrv123 Senior member

Was having trouble uploading it yesterday, but here it is today.

[​IMG]

18. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Well-Known Member

Tell your tailor the crotch is pulling. He/she must let out the crotch and round the seat.

Paul Winston
    Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com

19. whitefisk

whitefisk Member

Ive got some collar gap on this suit when i raise my arms. i believe arm holes are high enough and the chest if full enough, im wondering if the gap can be fixed?

Thank you for advice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. LorenzL

LorenzL Senior member