• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sleazy Sales Tactics Thread (aka: How to Sell a $35,000 Watch in a Recession)

Saltricks

Reaction score

+1

+1

The whole notion of taking a basic concept and giving it a new word to make it sound better can awfully transparent. The article also says they dont' sell "products" they sell "romance." Last I checked, selling romance is illegal in most places.

The thing is that for some people this will work, for others it won't. Part of the training is figuring out what type of person this will work on and learning the cues that suggest that a customer is that type of buyer. Different buyers will require different sales technique, it only seems that they do this to every customer because the article only details a small portion of their training.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sales is essentially applied psychology, which makes it a very interesting field, conceptually. I could witter on for ages about the various applications of psychological theory to marketing but I'm feeling too lazy right now. Instead I'll just use this space to express my abhorrence of the term "pre-loved" for any sort of used item. Especially clothes. Yuck.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
Now there's an eBay category just waiting to be created. Can you imagine the sales blurb...

"Still in great condition, with years of service ahead. Only selling because doesn't fit any more. 100% authentic Made in Italy, or your money back".

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now there's an eBay category just waiting to be created. Can you imagine the sales blurb...

"Still in great condition, with years of service ahead. Only selling because doesn't fit any more. 100% authentic Made in Italy, or your money back".
We're talking about a woman here right?

Saltricks

Reaction score

XXL just a few stains easily fixed 70% skin 30% body hair sh: 19inch chest: 55in waist: 39in length (from top of head to feet): 64inch working butt hole available in different colors (white sold out)

chrisjr

Reaction score

XXL
just a few stains easily fixed
70% skin 30% body hair
sh: 19inch
chest: 55in
waist: 39in
length (from top of head to feet): 64inch
working butt hole

available in different colors (white sold out)

:rotflmao:

atila

Reaction score
haha @ the last couple replies.

At my store, I almost never give my clients prices verbally. I look at the retail price tag, take off a percentage on my calculator and show them the calculator.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
I don't buy because of the sales person's words or tactics, when it comes clothes and accessories. He/she has be well put together in my eyes before I let him/her even help me. I am going to buy a Rolex because of I want to buy one, but not because some sales person wearing a Kenneth Cole taught me into it.

Saltricks

Reaction score

I don't buy because of the sales person's words or tactics, when it comes clothes and accessories. He/she has be well put together in my eyes before I let him/her even help me. I am going to buy a Rolex because of I want to buy one, but not because some sales person wearing a Kenneth Cole taught me into it.
A salesman job is to make you want one, not talk you into it. A good salesman can make you NEED something you never knew you needed.

Saltricks

Reaction score

haha @ the last couple replies.

At my store, I almost never give my clients prices verbally. I look at the retail price tag, take off a percentage on my calculator and show them the calculator.

Interesting technique. Why do you do this? I know you mentioned that you don't do this to some people. Do you only do it to customers who you can tell are a certain way? This would be a good technique for visual people.

Last edited:

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
A salesman job is to make you want one, not talk you into it. A good salesman can make you NEED something you never knew you needed.

True, but as I stated, a salesperson can't me want/need a Rolex while wearing a Kenneth Cole or a suit while he/she is not well dressed, IMO

Yachting Man

Reaction score

The amount of money I'm willing to spend on a luxury item is proportional to the hotness of the sales associate.

Lol whether you're joking or not, this is definitely true for me at times.

I was out with my daughter buying her some new shoes and initially I intended to get her two pairs. The SA helping us was so sweet and pretty I ended up buying my daughter six pairs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads