• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rollin through with a little AE bourbon shell
991F5011-24B7-4EDB-958D-C39EA02305C5.jpeg

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey guys, was looking for the shoe care thread but couldn't find it. I have been watching some shoe care cordovan videos and some recommend treating them with just a damp cloth and brushing and if they have some scuffs use the Brift H ebony stick. Others do recommend using a cream. Which one would you say works best? And where can I get the Brift H ebony stick? Can't find it anywhere.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, was looking for the shoe care thread but couldn't find it. I have been watching some shoe care cordovan videos and some recommend treating them with just a damp cloth and brushing and if they have some scuffs use the Brift H ebony stick. Others do recommend using a cream. Which one would you say works best? And where can I get the Brift H ebony stick? Can't find it anywhere.
My method for dark shell is just that, a damp cloth has tended to fix anything outside of gouges. Just water and lots of brushing restores them.

For my lighter colored shell, I rely pretty heavily on either Saphir’, or Burgol’s colored cordovan creams. For my tastes they are the best options, because they offer me the ability to restore the color to minor scuffs.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My method for dark shell is just that, a damp cloth has tended to fix anything outside of gouges. Just water and lots of brushing restores them.

For my lighter colored shell, I rely pretty heavily on either Saphir’, or Burgol’s colored cordovan creams. For my tastes they are the best options, because they offer me the ability to restore the color to minor scuffs.
That's actually quite helpful. Thanks, will try it. Sadly I already bought the burgundy cream haha but will try the damp cloth method.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's actually quite helpful. Thanks, will try it. Sadly I already bought the burgundy cream haha but will try the damp cloth method.
I also own and utilize the burgundy cream. The oils in the Saphir’ make the shoes look great.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And how regularly do you use it?
Very rarely, only as needed, typically a dry brush is all that’s needed. I condition them as needed which is more than I use crème, and for that I use Bick pretty exclusively. One thing though, I’m probably a guy that many would say babies shell. But, the truth is I baby all my shoes. I don’t wear my shoes through mud, bad weather etc. I have specific dress shoes that I wear in rainy weather, (suede, russian grain, zug, cxl) etc… I don’t wear any shell in bad weather, in addition, I’ve got an extensive collection of footwear, so it’s not like they get many wears.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Strands getting the call yet again. Was enjoying some Willet purple-top single barrels at Jack Rose in DC, seemed appropes to wear Bourbon shell to the thing.

shoes.jpg

I've noticed numerous pairs I haven't worn in ages on the shelf regularly being passed up for a handful of ol faithfuls.

I refuse to dispose of any of them at this point.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score

I could only find a photo of the Brift H ebony stick, but have seen similar tools at Japanese shoe shops. I bought a whole array of horn tools on e-bay for a fraction of the price.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could only find a photo of the Brift H ebony stick, but have seen similar tools at Japanese shoe shops. I bought a whole array of horn tools on e-bay for a fraction of the price.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads