• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. I love the color. Do you know what tannery the shell cordovan comes from? Does Grant Stone use Horween?
It's Comipel shell. I've got a pair of the PTB's, and I'd say it compares really well to my various Horween stuff. I think they're transitioning to Horween though.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully. Last time I asked, they weren't planning on any shell anytime soon.
They did a run of Ottawas in Horween shell and I think they're being very conservative about making sure they know how the article behaves during lasting/construction. Mistakes with shell wind up being far more expensive than cow-leathers and there are nuances during the build that wind up being a big difference as well.

I'm both relieved and bummed about it. Relieved because I'd probably be spending more money, and bummed because knowing they weren't doing shell soon "enabled" me (in several senses of that word) to jump on an order for some Whiskey Alden boots that I would probably have passed on if I'd know they had a run coming up...

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They did a run of Ottawas in Horween shell and I think they're being very conservative about making sure they know how the article behaves during lasting/construction. Mistakes with shell wind up being far more expensive than cow-leathers and there are nuances during the build that wind up being a big difference as well.

I'm both relieved and bummed about it. Relieved because I'd probably be spending more money, and bummed because knowing they weren't doing shell soon "enabled" me (in several senses of that word) to jump on an order for some Whiskey Alden boots that I would probably have passed on if I'd know they had a run coming up...

When did they do Ottowas? I haven't seen or heard anything about them and have emailed back and forth about shell offerings several times.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When did they do Ottowas? I haven't seen or heard anything about them and have emailed back and forth about shell offerings several times.
I think they're considered a trial-run, hence B-grade. They didn't run up as high as my size, which is why the Alden decision was made.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Right, just thought they might let the people who have repeatedly inquired about more shell know about it.
I have been in conversations with Wyatt for a couple of months about a Horween Shell Ottawa, and told him I would be "in" if he did one, I'm sure there must be a few more of us who committed to something without even knowing what it was.Honestly I was hoping for color 8 or possibly color 4 shell, but it is Horween, and I do like GS so went with it. I can't imagine Wyatt not getting a decent looking shell, but we will know tomorrow.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads