• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool. I have a pair of brown cordovan C&J shortwings (for BB), and a pair of Brown Lindricks on the way (SF GMTO). Looking forward to my shoes turning this reddish brown color eventually

The shell they use for these models is a much darker and consistent brown. It seems to be an entirely different shade than what the classic Marlow and Lindrick shoes/boots were made of.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shell they use for these models is a much darker and consistent brown. It seems to be an entirely different shade than what the classic Marlow and Lindrick shoes/boots were made of.
Do you mean shells for BB models? If so yeah I've noticed this too. I tried to lighten them under the sun, but stopped after a few days. Now I'm trying to let nature take its course via more frequent wears

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean shells for BB models? If so yeah I've noticed this too. I tried to lighten them under the sun, but stopped after a few days. Now I'm trying to let nature take its course via more frequent wears

Sorry, I should’ve said for the GMTOs at least. I have brown shell Marlow wingtips and Lindricks, both GMTOs c2016-2017, and they are a much darker brown than the old PRL models.

Not sure about the recent BB ones but probably the same color.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Grant Stone Shell Cap Toe boot
IMG_6416.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bourbon shell AE Leeds.

IMG_5396.jpg

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I +1 that.

I did an MTO of dark brown C&J Dundees. There was what appeared to be a correcting top coat. It came off eventually.

Dark brown doesn’t have the same undertones as the “cigar” shell does.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More AE bourbon shell.

IMG_5402.jpg

patrickngai

Reaction score
[GMTO interest thread] - Enzo Bonafe Color 16 Shell Cordovan Derby Jumper boots

Hey all,

I'm not sure if I can post this here, but I will try. Please delete if not appropriate.

This is a repost from a r/goodyearwelt post I made on this GMTO. I would like to extend this GMTO to style forum and see how many people we can get on the GMTO. We are currently on 3 interested parties on GYW. We are leaning towards a double leather sole on this make up (probably JR). Onto the post:

I’m getting married at the start of next year and I want to wear a boots specially made for the occasion. We decided on a shell jumper boot GMTO in a dark color shell. After reading u/retro_falcon review on his color 16 boots, I thought it would be cool to have a jumper boot in the same shell (u/retro_falcon color 16 NST boot ). I talked to Lorenzo, and he said that it would age similarly to color 8 and dark cognac.

This is u/retro_falcon description of the colour: “This color 16 is something else. Its almost black in all lights except when its next to black you can see its a dark, dark, dark brown with some cherry undertones in it. Pictures dont really do it justice. The color is very uniform throughout the boot. The pebble grain shaft is awesome adds some nice contrast boot. All the leather is just perfect.”

I think this jumper boot would be a timeless classic, and it will be very interesting to see the colour change from a dark cherry brown to possibly a colour 8 and then a cognac brown. I think it would also be nice for my wedding to have a super dark almost black shoe, but to also have it age later to a lighter brown.

The proposed make up would be the following:

• Last: 363 mod

• 5 brass eyelid and 4 brass speedhooks.

• Dainite or leather sole (I’m up for discussion on this).

• Pricing: 1095 USD. There might be a further discount if we get more people.

• Shipping: Working it out with Lorenzo. Currently 70 USD to Australia where I live, but it was free for all US clients in past GMTO's.
I believe we need at least 4 people on this GMTO judging by past GMTO’s but I will check with Lorenzo just in case. If you are interested, drop a comment down below. If you would like to suggests some changes as well, please also comment. Let’s see if we can get this GMTO through.

Thanks all :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads