• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J Lindrick
CF25C69F-CCFA-4623-86C5-A60F6278283E.jpeg

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They ran a GMTO with many Horween shell color options in July 2018, prepaid $850 (supposedly discounted from 1250 or so) and are now offering something similar with a non Horween shell for $750. I am done buying or would LEAP at an unglazed green shell pair.

They feel great, so that means they are on the wide side. My first shell NST boot and damned glad I bit. Fewer options in my size and all that.

I just compared directly to a 14 D TB Indy. Length very close and the TB is about 1/4 inch wider The Rider still fits a little looser so must have a bit more room in the vamp OR it just shapes better for my foot.

At my sizes though, I have found it is hard to gauge from usual size experience, check with @stephenaf2003 he has all the good boots! (including these)

View attachment 1096215

Thanks BB. Looks like I missed the GMTO - not gonna lie, I think I’m mostly relieved. I’ll bode my time but will need to have something like this, maybe 2019. My foot isn’t small but nowhere near your size, so NIMS isn’t usually a limitation for me. Only 2-3 shells will be needed :colgate:

Oh, and I am Jet’s complete lack of surprise that @stephenaf2003 has these. He has all the boots.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At relatives for the holidays, took natural shell Carmina's and decided to give the Löf & Tung shells a run. Brother in laws bright idea to go to a park (when it looked like and was predicted to rain) and then to get everyone on a 2 mile walk around the lake. Almost halfway it starts to pore rain, lucky other sister in law packed ponchos. But Löf & Tung shell had to go a mile+ in pouring rain and puddles. Did not pack a brush for the trip but same brother in law gave me a nice shoe polish kit since he knows I like shoes (I'm being kind it's really a cheesy kit see brush in pic). So that was last night, let the shoes air dry overnight, put the shoe trees in this am, used that cheesey brush for 1 min on each shoe, they look decent for a 1 min cheesey brush considering they were soaked. They will get a proper cleaning when I get home but shell holds up very well and keeps looking good, look at that 1 min shine with that brush....

IMG_20181229_182209.jpg
IMG_20181229_182539.jpg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks BB. Looks like I missed the GMTO - not gonna lie, I think I’m mostly relieved. I’ll bode my time but will need to have something like this, maybe 2019. My foot isn’t small but nowhere near your size, so NIMS isn’t usually a limitation for me. Only 2-3 shells will be needed :colgate:

Oh, and I am Jet’s complete lack of surprise that @stephenaf2003 has these. He has all the boots.

lol...you guys are funny.

To answer the question though, my perfect size on a say Barrie last, is 9E. I’m not exactly sure what the sizing conventions are for Rider shoes. But, on this one I picked up a 9, and the fit is extremely good.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW I just spelled a full glass of red wine over my cognac shell bluchers. I had some paper napkins on the table so cleaned the shoes with them inmediately without much dedication. Nothing happened to the leather...just like patent leather. Drink save with your shells.

Beach Bum

Reaction score
2019 New Year's Resolution. To get my first pair of shell shoes/boots.

Missed out on a new Wolverine 744 LTD edition boot a few years ago, was like $500 and didn't realize what it was until too late. Was gone next day.

Then came across a Santoni shell burgundy Oxford a year or two ago. One of like 3 or 4 times Santoni has made them, even had a Horween logo piece with it. But, was too big and I sold them.

And here I am, 2019, no shell to show for it.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Missed out on a new Wolverine 744 LTD edition boot a few years ago, was like $500 and didn't realize what it was until too late. Was gone next day.

Then came across a Santoni shell burgundy Oxford a year or two ago. One of like 3 or 4 times Santoni has made them, even had a Horween logo piece with it. But, was too big and I sold them.

Used/vintage is a good place to start for your first pair

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

what size are you?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Blue shell MacNeils to start the new year.

IMG_4180.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads