• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Right for a Dialect to evolve Vs. Preserving Meaning

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've been taking some classes this year in which a good portion of the participants are American. I've come to the conclusion that almost all stereotypes are intrinsically inaccurate as most of them appear to be both thin, attractive and intelligent.

There is one aspect of the culture-crossover that still annoys me and that's Americanisation of words/phrases. So basically, do the good people of SF feel about the way language is treated.

This also applies to geographic issues as well, such as the inner-city Vs Suburban colloquial differences.

I personally welcome the evolution of language as long as it makes sense. In that respect I pretty much agree with a recent video by David Mitchell. Linky Linky

Admittedly he comes from the perspective of a Cambridge educated Eng. Lang. student, but I can't help but see the non-logical changes to language as essentially useless.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The professional world will still use the same 'dialect' no matter how the language of certain populations evolves.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
language is a tool for communication. it "evolves" because people change it to be a more effective tool for communication. when we try to support languages and dialects that people are leaving behind, we are helping to support poorly performing tools because we find them cute.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tend to be sympathetic to annoyance with people who use English poorly, but I think it's a little late to complain about the Americanization of English.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I humbly beg your lordship's pardon OP, but I believe American English actually preserves a more correct, original form of English versus that in modern England. We still maintain the rhoticity (pronunciation of r's) of 17th century English while the Brits have become lazy and dropped it with all your slackjawed antics. Moreover, we are not that unintelligent considering we formed the world's first democratic republic, and initiated the concept of equal rights (granted, with much help from your Magna Carta), whilst contributing most of the technological advances that brought the world into the modern age...

But to return to the point, I agree that the 'professional' dialect of English (American or British), is not going to be influenced much by passing fads in Spanish/African/Cockney etc -English. Though what are we supposed to do if it does... all go back to speaking proto-indo-european??

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
So I've been taking some classes this year in which a good portion of the participants are American. I've come to the conclusion that almost all stereotypes are intrinsically inaccurate as most of them appear to be both thin, attractive and intelligent. There is one aspect of the culture-crossover that still annoys me and that's Americanisation of words/phrases. So basically, do the good people of SF feel about the way language is treated. This also applies to geographic issues as well, such as the inner-city Vs Suburban colloquial differences.
I'm sure the worst Cockney is more impenetrable to outsiders than anything you'll find in American inner-cities.
getfuzzy2007061174570.jpg
I personally welcome the evolution of language as long as it makes sense. In that respect I pretty much agree with a recent video by David Mitchell. Linky Linky
Boy, he really belabored those "couldn't care less" and "hold down the fort" bits. Really beat them into the ground. Is that his schtik? Languages evolve. That's what languages do, The only languages that don't are dead languages. Language is only ever just adequate- no more, no less- for giving its speakers the means to communicate what they wish. It seems silly to me to hold languages up to some extrinsic metrics of usefulness or uselesness.
Admittedly he comes from the perspective of a Cambridge educated Eng. Lang. student, but I can't help but see the non-logical changes to language as essentially useless.
Idioms and set-phrases are discrete semantic elements, we don't interpret them the same way we would more informational speech. Do most people even know what half the idioms they use were supposed to refer to in the first place? I agree that "could care less" doesn't make sense on the face of it, but at the same time, everybody understands what it's supposed to mean. Aside from things like those, what is a non-logical change to language? BTW, while searching for the Get Fuzzy strip above, I also found this, which make me laugh and seems apropos...
getfuzzy2007026109017.gif

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Peep Show ftw.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Don't give up on your stereotypes yet. Fat, ugly, dumb Americans don't study abroad.

Not true. Some even study at Oxford.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Don't give up on your stereotypes yet. Fat, ugly, dumb Americans don't study abroad.
Quite right, this. Then again, I've never seen Chavs on American soil.

Polemarch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
We have them. Our word for them, however, is considerably cruder than "chav."

I think every country/city has their own word for those sadly debased off-shoots of the human genus.

In Australia the most commonly used are 'townies' or 'lads'.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That chap's a bloody twit.

Historical linguistics is a lot more complicated than most people understand, so it's pointless to argue about it on an Internet message board.

I think in general that a well-spoken American often sounds much more pleasing than the equivalent British. Unfortunately, most Americans tend to chew every vowel down to a schwa.

Brits seem to have a big problem with loanwords. I cringe when they say 'pasta'. I don't understand how a vowel that's inherently pronounced toward the rear of its original tongue somehow slides forward and gets spat out between the lips of Brits.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
If anything, the evolution of dialects has slowed rather than accelerated. Television has had a huge normalizing effect.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
We have them. Our word for them, however, is considerably cruder than "chav."

Just a few years before "grunge" hit the US big, Canadian kids (at least in my locale) had a sub-group known as "dirt balls." Dressed pretty much grunge (work boots, flannel, jeans with holes, etc.) while the 80s nuWave style was still going, so they stood in stark contrast to each other. Mainly juicers (which meant drinkers back then, not on teh 'roids) and druggies, into fights every weekend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads