1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The poker tips and bragging thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, May 25, 2010.

1. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

wtf are they limiting pre-flop betting for? If they don't want the pot to get too big, just lower the blinds, don't bastardize the game...
    I got SO mad. It's unsurprisingly a very loose game so that rule effectively limits the game to three rounds of betting. Nearly every hand was won with things like k3, 78, garbage like that. Virtually impossible to put anyone on a range.

2. nbouscal

nbouscal Active Member

I got SO mad. It's unsurprisingly a very loose game so that rule effectively limits the game to three rounds of betting. Nearly every hand was won with things like k3, 78, garbage like that. Virtually impossible to put anyone on a range.
    I'll be honest, unless you're going to this game for purely entertainment reasons, I wouldn't waste my time with it. Limiting pre-flop betting like that is such a gross perversion of the game that it really isn't even worth playing. The basic effect of that rule is to toss skill out the window and make it an almost purely luck-based game. Great for the bad players, terrible for anyone who wants to play serious poker. Also I second calling on the river there, he's not calling with anything worse and he's certainly not folding anything better. Always remember the three reasons to bet: to make a better hand fold, to make a worse hand call, or to give your opponent the wrong odds to play a drawing hand. None of those three apply in this situation.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ive played home games like this. You say you were the youngest player at the table, but were they really a bunch of old farts? Stingy old fuckers like that like to make up their own rules and stick by them no matter what. I hate those rock bastards - they 99% of the time suck out on you on the river, no matter what.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

and also be thankful it was a $5, not a $500 pot.

5. Nouveau Pauvre

Yeah, I absolutely fucked up on the turn.

I think a big part of my poor play was tilting in relation to the rule argument. I ended up blowing a stack of like $16 total on the pot but certainly not $500. I will not be playing in this game again.

6. nbouscal

nbouscal Active Member

Yeah, I absolutely fucked up on the turn.

I think a big part of my poor play was tilting in relation to the rule argument. I ended up blowing a stack of like $16 total on the pot but certainly not $500. I will not be playing in this game again.

Yeah, I typically try to self-monitor after each hand and if I'm tilting at all I stand up and take a forced 15 minute break. Nothing's worse for your game than playing on tilt. Good choice with regards to not playing in that game again, you can always find another house game where they don't have retarded rules. Do you play online much/at all?

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

So I'm off to my Memorial Day game. It's a house game I've played on and off in and the play style varies a lot. Some people are retarded loose andw ill call anything anywhere, a couple other players are tighter and I think one or two might secretly be good strategic players but it's hard to tell with the mess that goes on.

What is the difference between "retarded loose" and calling with "anything anywhere"?

As for the secret strategic players, keep going to the game. Note who wins consistently and how they do it. Follow the money to find out who the players are. The best players don't play a particular style all the time, but rather vary their style according to the particular game. A smart player will go with looser play in a loose game. Tight aggressive play by one or two players can ruin a loose soft game pretty quickly by running over the weak players.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Re: the house game. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I get in a big argument again and go way on tilt and throw almost my whole stack away to the one truly strong player there.

You got in a big argument over house rules in a home game? House rules are house rules. You can play or not play.

9. Usul

Usul Senior member

I have difiiculty understanding this, but it does seem interesting

10. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

A is my biggest leak. For whatever reason I can't bring myself to fold it, even when I know I'm beat. Drives me mental.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

AA is my biggest leak. For whatever reason I can't bring myself to fold it, even when I know I'm beat. Drives me mental.

AA = going to win a small pot or lose a big one

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Played in a local tournament over the weekend, finished 12th out of 125 entries.

First time I have played in the sort of environment. I was surprised at how well I did. I realized how many bad poker players there are out there.

I won a Mythbusters DVD. Fukk ya. Top 6 got $$. My kids loved the prized. It was worth the buy in. I'll do it again.

13. Nouveau Pauvre

After the debacle with the bastardized home game I've started hosting my own with my brother. Everything went really smooth and I crushed the competition. Also the pizza delivery fucked up so we got a whole bunch of free pizza.

Used a "fold protector " (I dont know what the actual term is, but like a little thing you put on top of your cards to keep them from being accidentally folded) for the first time, a Japanese porcelain money cat, and it was fun. Made me feel classy.

14. SpooPoker

After the debacle with the bastardized home game I've started hosting my own with my brother. Everything went really smooth and I crushed the competition. Also the pizza delivery fucked up so we got a whole bunch of free pizza.

Used a "fold protector " (I dont know what the actual term is, but like a little thing you put on top of your cards to keep them from being accidentally folded) for the first time, a Japanese porcelain money cat, and it was fun. Made me feel classy.

Thats the poker table version of an avatar. I had a custom chip made up that says "Fuck You I Call" and used to use that - until some swarmy bastard swiped it from my home game. [​IMG]

15. GanglandDandy

GanglandDandy Senior member

Card protector.

16. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Start frequenting MC instead of SWD and you can be classy all the time. [​IMG]

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Hey whats this bullshit players do when they put a chip on top of their pocket cards after they look at them?

It seems like a signal they are going to call / bet, but isnt is stupid? I've seen some good players doing this.

18. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

was playing pl omaha 1/2

i had two horrible beats.

1) 22A5- board: kk22x (all money went in on the river). dude had kkxx. fml
    2) QQxx- board: QTKJQ (all money went in on river). dude had royal flush. fml

end result: -742

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. GanglandDandy

GanglandDandy Senior member

Hey whats this bullshit players do when they put a chip on top of their pocket cards after they look at them?

It seems like a signal they are going to call / bet, but isnt is stupid? I've seen some good players doing this.

Most players do this because they use normal chips as a card protector. However, there are some players or angle shooters who do this intentionally (leaning forward to look as if they are going to bet but end up putting a few chips on their cards)..hoping to get a tell from whoever he's in a hand with.

20. RedScarf7

RedScarf7 Senior member

Hey whats this bullshit players do when they put a chip on top of their pocket cards after they look at them? It seems like a signal they are going to call / bet, but isnt is stupid? I've seen some good players doing this.
    lol. You protect your cards so the dealer doesn't muck them. Dealers make mistakes and may muck your hand when you are involved in the action. When the floor inevitably gets called over to solve a dispute wherein the dealer mucks the hand of a player who is involved in the action, they will always attribute the blame to the player as they failed to protect their cards. Furthermore, no one can confirm the cards you were holding so "fishing in the muck" as they call it offers an unfair advantage to the person who wasn't savy enough to protect their cards. The good players you have seen doing this have likely experienced a situation where this has happened. Personally, I have seen people lose thousands of dollars because they didn't protect their cards. You don't have to use a chip to protect your cards if you think it is bullshit. Keep your hand on your cards instead. As an aside, the tendency of some players to protect their hand only when they have a good hand is worth noting. I've seen many people who only put a chip on their hand when they have a big pocket pair, AK, etc. as they feel like they have something to protect. So make sure to be consistent if you adopt the practice, and be sure to exploit those that aren't!