• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
Here is a question for all of you thrifters. Approval or disapproval of how I handled this does not matter to me. I am just curious to hear what others would do. I will tell you what I did after giving this a chance to generate a little bit of discussion. You are in a GW, looking at suits and sport coats. You look at a label and see a bank cash envelope peeking out of the pocket. It is not thin. You see the denomination of two bills and close it back up. Those two bills are a $50 and a $1. The SC costs $7.99. What do you do?
As others have stated, Goodwill isn't a charity at all, no matter what they say. They are a huge nation-wide chain. Buy the coat for moralistic/karma reasons and return it/gift it if you don't like it. Keep the cash. I bought a pair of Polo RL shorts once and found a $100 bill in the cargo pocket. Didn't find it 'till I wore them for the first time and put my cell phone in there and noticed some "paper". Great day, that was. Funny thing, is, I had a dream about making a $100 deposit to my bank that morning before I woke up. Hmmm....

csoukoulis

Reaction score
id keep the money, because i believe things happen for a reason......the reason being that i want to go to the shooting range, and 100 will buy lots of ammo for my AR!

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
News of a big score in Australia.

Just BTB, I'm puzzled that she only found out about this afterwards. Who buys a bag in a thrift score without opening it?

Op shopper bags a valuable bonus
Megan Levy
June 21, 2011 - 2:31PM

A shopper who paid a few dollars for a second-hand bag at an opportunity shop on the Mornington Peninsula was stunned to find a stash of valuable jewellery inside.

Police are now appealing for the owner of the pink zip-up bag "” which was donated to the Rosebud Opportunity Shop early this year "” to come forward and claim it.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said a woman bought the bag from the Point Nepean Road shop on March 19, and later discovered the jewellery stash inside.

The collection includes many gold rings, a gold chain bracelet, watches, earrings and necklaces, and several of the items are believed to be valuable antiques.

The woman handed the bag in at Rosebud Police Station, and police are now appealing for the owner to come forward.

They will have to provide a description of the contents of the bag.

Anyone with information has been urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/op...#ixzz1Pteea9xn

951socal

Reaction score
the question that comes up in my mind is what is the point of buying anything from a second hand store?

if the police can come into your home in australia, taking your op shop purchase and return it to the person who donated it becuase its valueable, means they can do it with anything purchased from an "op shop" while mummering something along the lines of "bogans don't have rights"

the woman purchased the bag of jewelry from the shop, the orignal owner relinquished ownership of that as soon as they put it in the donation pile and had taken the tax deduction of the hundreds of thousands of jewels.

if the police returns it, why not repeat the cycle ripping off customers of the op shop, the woman with the jewels that keeps donating them can live a tax fee existence, and the sucker who buys the jewles is out $40-50 each damn year. while the shop stays in business

swb120

Reaction score
I would buy the jacket and keep the cash. GW is a charity, but use their thrift stores to monetize donations to fund their programs.

Snagged a beautiful Burberry gray herringbone topcoat with black velvet collar; fully-lined, from Saks (a newer Saks tag). Armhole liners need to be resewn, but otherwise in like-new condition.

mistermidwester

Reaction score
One time, I got a book home that I'd picked up at a thrift store and it had an unmarked Home Depot gift card in it as a bookmark (that I'd somehow missed). Took it the next time I went out to HD and handed it to the cashier when it was time to check out.

It still had $50 credit on it. Schwing!
colgate.gif

I've found that in suits and sport coats, the most common paper finds are pieces of paper with information on:
  1. Graduations
  2. Funerals

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Size 46. A bit too large for me. The neck feels like a 17 or 17.5. The sleeves feel like 33-34 but I can measure if anyone's interested. It was too nice to leave. I've got someone in mind but if he's not interested...
IMG_20110621_112743.jpg

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Size 46. A bit too large for me. The neck feels like a 17 or 17.5. The sleeves feel like 33-34 but I can measure if anyone's interested. It was too nice to leave. I've got someone in mind but if he's not interested...

Those Paul & Shark shirts are underrated IMO. I've seen and owned a couple. They do seem to be a bit on the slimmer side with their measurements. I *might* be interested in that one if your other dude falls through, depending on measurements.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I would buy it and keep the cash unless there was a straightforward way to identify the owner (eg, there's a deposit slip in the envelope with a name on it).

Al_Merick

Reaction score
Picked up a 100% Cashmere Navy sport coat at the thrift store today for $9.99. The maker label says, Strathmore by Anderson-Little. Anyone have any information about the maker? This was picked up in the Philadelphia area.... Also, picked up a Canali silk/wool blend SC at Nordstrom Rack in KOP. Retail - $1295.99 My Price - $161.87 Savings - 1134.12!!!!!! If anyone is interested and in the Philly area, it is worth a stop. They had a lot of really nice looking pieces marked down tremendously!

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Al_Merick

Also, picked up a Canali silk/wool blend SC at Nordstrom Rack in KOP.

Retail - $1295.99
My Price - $161.87
Savings - 1134.12!!!!!!

If anyone is interested and in the Philly area, it is worth a stop. They had a lot of really nice looking pieces marked down tremendously!

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
that is a steal

dkoernert

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Al_Merick
Picked up a 100% Cashmere Navy sport coat at the thrift store today for $9.99. The maker label says, Strathmore by Anderson-Little. Anyone have any information about the maker? This was picked up in the Philadelphia area....

Curious about this as well, I see this label pretty frequently in my thrifting.

Al_Merick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkoernert
Curious about this as well, I see this label pretty frequently in my thrifting.

Found this information... The jacket I have is certainly older than the recent 2008 re-opening of the brand. Construction is very impressive on the one I scored from the thrift store. Pick stitching galore and it's quarter lined w/ hand finished seams. Doubt the latest editions have the same superb craftsmanship.

Anderson-Little was founded in 1933 by Morris B. Anderson, and began as a manufacturer of fine men's clothing in Fall River, Massachusetts, and pioneered the concept of "factory direct to you" following World War II, when it opened its factory showroom directly to the public, for retail sales.

Driven by the strength of this concept, by 1960 Anderson-Little had 11 retail outlets selling "factory direct to you" in Fall River, New Bedford, Providence, Hartford, Worcester, Springfield, New Haven, Bridgeport and other major markets in New England.

Stuart Anderson, Morris' grandson, joined the management team after his graduation from the Wharton School of Finance. By 1966, this family business had grown to 40 outlets and had become one of the most recognizable brand names in New England, and the company was sold to Richman Brothers, a national chain headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio.

In 1968 Richman Brothers and Anderson-Little were sold to F.W. Woolworth Co., which operated and grew the Anderson-Little division to 100 stores.

In 1992 Woolworth closed all the Richman Brothers stores, and all but 7 Anderson-Little stores.

These 7 remaining stores were sold to Cliftex Manufacturing Co., a major supplier to Anderson-Little for many years. Cliftex closed all the remaining Anderson-Little stores in 1998.

In early 2008 Scott Anderson and Stuart Anderson reclaimed the trademark rights to their family name. This is the re-launch of Anderson-Little.

JMayle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mistermidwester
I've found that in suits and sport coats, the most common paper finds are pieces of paper with information on:
  1. Graduations
  2. Funerals

I found a used ticket to the Soul Train awards a few months ago
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads