• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mat135ta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
Going through the suit racks at GW last night, flipping past Vestimenta, Emporio Armani, etc., all in 44L, I thought "why couldn't this giant have donated a Brioni?" Next jacket? Brioni. DB, side vents, great earthy windowpane pattern. Not my size, but thought I might be able to flip it. When I got home, I was a bit less enthusiastic when I discovered it was a 6x1, not the 6x2 I thought when I bought it. Ugh.

I am wearing a great earthy windowpane Brioni DB, side vents cashmere 6x1 blazer today. What is wrong with it?

BTW, I saw lots of 44L nice stuff too, some of which have been sitting in the store for weeks. If anyone is interested in trading, please let me know.

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mat135ta
I am wearing a great earthy windowpane Brioni DB, side vents cashmere 6x1 blazer today. What is wrong with it?

Nothing's wrong with it, unless you're a self-absorbed, myopic jackass like me who thinks everyone has to like what I like.

The few DBs I have are 6x2, is all.

So, would you be interested in adding to your collection of earthy windowpane, Brioni DB, side vented jackets?

Temujin

Reaction score
Found a pair of leather Coach shoes in sz 13 D and 2 pairs of Polo RL loafers MI Italy.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple J Press 3/2 sack suit and jackets 37-40 range. Unfortunately none fits me. Will go to exchange when I have time, to fund future purchases.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only hit one store today, but it was a doozy. I think this was my single biggest haul out of one store ever - yeah, it seems like some people on this thread get this daily, but around here this is really something!

Ferragamo cords
Bills Khakis flat fronts
Vineyard Vines light blue pants in my size to rub in my wife's face
laugh.gif

Thomas Pink solid white/offwhite dress shirt with FC
Brioni sport shirt M - first Brioni other than a tie I've seen
Canali sport shirt M
Zegna sport shirts M... *five* of them... all recent, none of the old "circle-z" logos
Anne Klein Sport cashmere for my sister for Christmas (she actually asked for me to look, I wouldn't be that tacky without her request!)
Zegna sweater M
Polo Ralph Lauren black cashmere cable-knit for me, just needs one hole darned
nod[1].gif

Canali jacket, size 48R italian, and I found the pants hung separately to make it a suit for the first time ever!

Spent about two hours in there... fine-toothed comb! Passes included half a dozen pairs of Zanellas (all pleated, though maybe I should have picked up the two with single pleats), four or five Robert Talbott BOC ties, three "bella croc" belts which a quick google indicated were embossed, two Brooks Brothers belts that were shot, three Viyella sport shirts size M since I had a hard time unloading one in the past, and at least fifteen Brooks Brothers dress & sport shirts in the guy's size. I'll definitely be going back soon, though an employee told me there wasn't all that much more men's stuff to put out.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Wow - excellent haul! On the subject of Viyella, what's the deal with them? I've seen the name tossed around here a bit, but every shirt I've seen looks like mediocre junk and most of it is made in Hong Kong. Found a beautiful Peter Scott angora/lambswool sweater today. Made for a gold club that opened up here in the TC about 6 years ago, so it's not that old. Anyway, it has a small hole on the shoulder that probably was caused by the little hook on the hanger it was on at the store
baldy[1].gif
I bought it anyway, it was only $3. I got a picture of the hole, though the picture didn't turn out too well. Is something like this easily fixed?
P1030548.jpg
P1030549.jpg

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that woolfiller is cool as hell. IM getting some.
Ive passed on numerous amazing sweaters due to small holes.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ Wow - excellent haul! On the subject of Viyella, what's the deal with them? I've seen the name tossed around here a bit, but every shirt I've seen looks like mediocre junk and most of it is made in Hong Kong. Found a beautiful Peter Scott angora/lambswool sweater today.
Thanks - just got done detagging and going to darn the sweater in a bit. Speaking of which, that sweater - especially if it's for you, you can try to darn it, or just sew it to the seam if it's the kind of seam that will look okay that way. My attitude, I guess, is that any hole is worth an attempt to sew it, though I haven't seen any big enough to genuinely require reweaving, which is the REAL solution anyway. Viyella... the older Made in Great Britain stuff is good, I have one of those myself and sold one awhile back. They had a Royal Warrant and so on, not that that means much but just saying. It's one of those brands like Scott Barber that can be nice to have for yourself, but people don't seem too interested in picking it up. Edit: wow, that woolfiller looks awesome. My only issue would be, it's pretty easy to find thread to match whatever you need - somehow I don't think that's the case with the woolfiller stuff!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Either way you look at it...Flippers SUCK.
We are there to find the gems, to wear and to love.
They are there to pillage.
I find my blood pressure rise when I see these a-holes running through the racks with the piled up carts, or the un-educated flipper going through the jackets by turning the collars up to see if they are hand sewn. Nothing like arriving to see all the collars popped on every jacket in the store.
I do cringe to think how much this thread and this forum has helped fuel this behavior...
GUNFIRE!

You tell 'em Willie.
smile.gif

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Viyella... the older Made in Great Britain stuff is good, I have one of those myself and sold one awhile back. They had a Royal Warrant and so on, not that that means much but just saying. It's one of those brands like Scott Barber that can be nice to have for yourself, but people don't seem too interested in picking it up.1

Not to delve too deeply into Viyella (can go to the trad forum for more discussion), but they sell well on eBay (even the HK stuff). They usually sell in the $30 + shipping range. I almost always leave BB shirts behind unless they're ocbds that fit me, but I always grab the Viyella stuff.

Phil.H

Reaction score
Went thrifting this last weekend and it was total bust. At the end of the day, all I had to show for it was a cheap hole puncher (needed another one for home) and a hardcover copy of Stephen King's newest book.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phil.H
...and a hardcover copy of Stephen King's newest book.

Ha ha, several years ago when I first started thrifting I had no interest in clothes, but mostly was shopping for books. Since I like Stephen King, and since you always see his books at thrifts I decided to make a game of collecting them. I now have a copy of every one of his books, probably for something ridiculous like $20 total since stores around here used to sell hardcovers in the 0.10 to 0.50 range.

To get more on-topic I came across a 44 camel hair Sulka jacket today (no fabric tag so I'm assuming, it was the softest camel hair I've ever felt). Passed due to too many small wear spots and a couple small holes.

Picked up a brown suede jacket and a navy 3-piece suit for myself though. Not brag-worthy labels, but when something fits slim on my ridiculously emaciated frame I don't ask questions.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I never pass by books. Sold couple of first eds. after reading them for decent money in 90ies.

lynch_king

Reaction score
Should i keep this? Donna Karan New York ( from what i understand its different than DKNY?) Made in Italy herringbone 3 button blazer with 3 buttons half lined silk/cashmere cotton blend fits me perfect, labeled 40R thinking it's a good summer jacket but it might be dated? honest opinions? i can still return it to the vintage store got it for $25
dkny.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads