• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Selvedge question...

I know heavier weight leads to thicker/stiffer jeans, but are they warmer too? Like, would you have lighter weight jeans for the summer and thicker ones for fall/spring, and thicker still for winter?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Selvedge question...

I know heavier weight leads to thicker/stiffer jeans, but are they warmer too? Like, would you have lighter weight jeans for the summer and thicker ones for fall/spring, and thicker still for winter?

Thicker denim is definitely warmer. I think <12 oz is considered light and >16 is considered heavyweight. What's comfortable for you in summer will vary based on how warm you are. I'd have to wear really lightweight denim in the summers here.

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Selvedge question...

This question has somewhat of a complicated answer. Often times the answer is yes, heavier weight denim leads to warmer jeans, but there's the other factor of how tightly woven the fabric is. Lighter weight jeans can feel warmer if the fabric is tighter and there's less space for air to get to your legs. However, 20oz denim is almost always going to feel warmer than 10oz.

TJGent87

Reaction score

Thrift fit? Harris tweed SC from a flea market (had tailored) PRL banker stripe shirt (thrifted) BB makers tie (Thanks @jgill79 ) Old belt I had. Thrifted Lands end maroon cords (a little bit in the waist but it's acceptable) JM longwing kiltie tassle loafers (ebay'ed for about 50 bucks but they were essentially brand new!)
Nice your taste seems to be improving. :fistbump:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now you know how I feel going to thrift stores because I have a 30 waist.

Same. This is why most of my thrifted pants are a 31 or 32... Sigh.

I guess it's okay because 30's are often too tight everywhere because I'm not a skinny little ******. Well, I'm less skinny than other people at this waist size anyway.

Thanks for your answer re: selvedge weight!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been looking for loud sportcoats for a while. Does anyone have any brand recommendations for ebaying stuff like this? Or if you find them in my size, I'd be interested!

Here's an example:

sportsjack1.jpg

Would this just be a windowpane? Are certain brands known for this or is just about everyone? I'm probably not going to be able to afford any zegna's like this, but if I can try to snipe some canali's etc, that'd be handy. I've been searching for windowpanes and finding some gorgeous belvest stuff but it's all new and costs more than week's worth of $$$ haha.

I know you have some (read: lots of) jackets like this.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@GMMcL:

Re: Henry Cotton's

Good stuff, low resale (for me, anyway). Pants may or may not be Incotex, same style and I believe sometimes made in Romania. A lot of neat fabrics for jackets. I think it retails pretty high in nicer department stores.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
x100000. It's only enjoyable saying "oh, jesus..." to myself when I can say it with a smile when fueco talks about how he only drinks artisanal coffees or when 38R talks about being a pocket square expert.
Thrift fit with epic bold square in i couple of hours............. but seriously. you funny.

Different strokes for different folks. Ask 38R
smile.gif
Hmmmm, electric car ??? would not kop.

Same. This is why most of my thrifted pants are a 31 or 32... Sigh.

I guess it's okay because 30's are often too tight everywhere because I'm not a skinny little ******. Well, I'm less skinny than other people at this waist size anyway.

Thanks for your answer re: selvedge weight!
Dammit!!!! what size ARE you???????????????
ffffuuuu.gif
lol8[1].gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Did you buy it?

Sitting here with coffee annoyed that no one had claimed buying it. :happy:

Of course I did. I hope its 3.5", not 3.75". Its the new selvedge logo, so probably 3.5. fingers crossed.

I've been looking for loud sportcoats for a while. Does anyone have any brand recommendations for ebaying stuff like this? Or if you find them in my size, I'd be interested!

Windowpane. And, don't settle for a inbetweener. Save what you would have put towards a "meh" piece and put it towards a great one.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Of course I did. I hope its 3.5", not 3.75". Its the new selvedge logo, so probably 3.5. fingers crossed.

I thought I had the time advantage here, but it's not a problem, I need another tie like I need a hole in my head.

Windowpane. And, don't settle for a inbetweener. Save what you would have put towards a "meh" piece and put it towards a great one.

^ Great advice. When your closet is filled with things you love, you don't waste your time on so-so fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads