• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Possibly. The GMMcL has launched a scientific investigation into the matter, charting his results on a spreadsheet as we speak. Nothing is conclusive, as far as I know, but I sure would like an update... :lol:
Wisk (or detergent without enzymes) proved most effective and color fast across the spectrum. Tide was second, but was strongly not color safe on blues and grays. Woolite (regular and dark) and vinegar proved entirely ineffective. These were concentrated, long soaks -- two caps per ~3 gallons of water and soaking for 48 hours. None of the pre-soak additives -- Zout, Resolve, or Lanolin hand cleaner -- increased stain removal with any amount of reliability. Post-soak rinse with cool water and gentle agitation, followed by slow drying were key to avoid damage to the wool. 1oftheCoolKids simply uses Tide in a gentle cycle. I tried that but got no results; only the soak seemed to help mitigate the waistband issues. Be careful of rust to zippers and clasps. And apparently there's a stain removal threak, but nobody linked me to it. :plain:
Is removing the stained lining an option? Anyone do this?
Didn't try linen. I only tried the methods above because Oxy was not color safe on wool (in my experience). So I wanted to find something that was. I would like to know if Oxy or Wisk work on linen -- try it out and report results. I would think that, just like wool, the real key is in gentle agitation, no stretching (i.e., dried flat) and long soak followed by lots of rinsing. --- Every time I wear this jacket I think of Sully, who sent it simply because he knew it would fit. I hope I've made it up to him since, but I doubt it. It's Huntsman, BTW.

Reaction score
Had an alright haul. Picked up some Polo Ralph Lauren, Forsyth of Canada, and Tommy Hilfiger shirts and a merino wool Fairway and Greene sweater vest for 15 bucks.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had an alright haul. Picked up some Polo Ralph Lauren, Forsyth of Canada, and Tommy Hilfiger shirts and a merino wool Fairway and Greene sweater vest for 15 bucks.

not sure I'd call that a haul for me personally. But if you picked all that up for personal use, that is pretty damn good at a thrift store. Besides personal use, I would have probably left all that, of course depending on what the PRL was.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is removing the stained lining an option? Anyone do this?
I've done this countless times. Throw on some rubber gloves (You can never be too careful. My wife is a Dental Hygienist so I get mine for free) and go to work with a seam ripper and/or a pair or surgical dissecting scissors. You cannot thrift and have a weak stomach. Once the lining is removed and discarded, have them cleaned professionally and you're good to go.
I mean, pants don't need lining. Oxxford, for instance, doesn't line any of their pants. I have no trouble removing the lining of pants that are part of a nice suit for personal use.
+1. Although it's pretty cheap to have a tailor re-line the trousers for you (once you've done the dirty work, of course).
This is far and away the weirdest item I've ever picked up. But I couldn't leave it (this one is for silverwarebandit)... Kapital Redux Selvedge Denim Cape (Shawl?):
I know a little about Kapital and have been trying to find some info. Apparently Redux is entirely made by hand and seems to use a lot of re-purposed materials. Anyone else have some info to share? Shoot me a PM.
Wow! This is the coolest piece I've seen on here in a while, not to mention a grail find! :slayer:

Lirum

Reaction score
Picked up a gorgeous Harris Tweed for really cheap, went by the local tobacco shop and traded it for an expensive tin. I'm happy, the owner's SUPER happy. Of all the cool **** I've found so far, that has been the best feeling.

staxringold

Reaction score
Had to run a quick/stupid errand in Hartford, so hit up a few of my law school thrifting haunts that I no longer get to as much. Grabed a simple Canali for myself (couple small stains I'm hoping I can remove, worth the $6 gamble for myself) and this classic Hickey Freeman Collection wool/cashmere blend (43, available):

Also, may have found an apartment today, so that's kewl. Crucially it has plenty of closet space.

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is far and away the weirdest item I've ever picked up. But I couldn't leave it (this one is for silverwarebandit)... Kapital Redux Selvedge Denim Cape (Shawl?):
I know a little about Kapital and have been trying to find some info. Apparently Redux is entirely made by hand and seems to use a lot of re-purposed materials. Anyone else have some info to share? Shoot me a PM.
Damn! I was scrolling through hoping to find DM7s post, and this??? Also I think this is the first Kapital on the thread, right? This is even more unusual than whoever it was that found a visvim welder at a church. :slayer:

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics