• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A very special thanks to FaceOfBoh for coming by with a care package for my family during some rough times. I did thank him personally when he came by, but I think he also deserves some public recognition for his actions.

..thanks again!
This man sounds like a truly awesome fellow.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. I live in the middle of nowhere. New Oxford PA. Look it up. You gotta go often and them go some more.

I'm finding this to be true. To paraphrase Mayor Daley, go early, go often.

Case in point, last night I was by a goodwill at about 8PM. did a walk thru of shoes, ties, and a run down the suits. This morning, I had to be in the same parking lot again, and since I was there at 9:30, figured I'd walk thru again. no shoes. no ties, but one guy donated 3 harris tweed jackets, one BB Cashmere blend sports coat and a Canali jacket. Not there 12 hours before.

I grabbed all 5.

Someone just recently mentioned finding tweeds with moth holes said to hold them up to the light so before I went to pay, I held them each up to the window and discovered that one of them had 3-5 moth holes, all small.

So I left with the other 4.

Again, this forum continues to pay dividends.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A very special thanks to FaceOfBoh for coming by with a care package for my family during some rough times. I did thank him personally when he came by, but I think he also deserves some public recognition for his actions.

..thanks again!

You're welcome! It was the least we could do.

Now, if I could only figure out how to do a round of homemade cinnamon buns for the forum, I'd probably have some decent trade fodder!

PS tell your wife I'll be sending her the secret recipe.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blues: had to pass on a fur-lined J Press overcoat. (Too big for me, and they wanted $60.)

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm in the field now. If anyone wants these minty AE Bridgetons in 12 D I'll get them. Otherwise they're too small for me. They'll be sitting in my cart until I leave. PM me in the next 15-20 minutes if you want them.
Nobody here should be buying those to wear. Wingtip kiltie tassel loafers = the trifecta of ugly.
Anyone seen this version of Brooks Brothers buttons before? Found these on an oooold undated custom suit. No other markings on the suit that would indicate BB, buttons were likely added.
Never seen them before, but those are neat!

CesarC

Reaction score
Hi all, just checking in here. I have been super busy and SF just drifted out of my consciousness for a few months until fall compelled me to break out some tweed. Any quick highlights since mid-August? Oh, and my deepest apologies to any unseen and unreplied PM's that were sent during that period.

I have been thrifting pretty frequently, actually, but mostly for electronics and housewares. I will try to get photos of my highlights, but they include what I think is a pretty nice silver-trimmed Bavarian porcelain 10pc dinner set in near-mint condition (I know china is common, but not in so large a set or in such great condition), and a Technics SL-PD5 cd player. Also have photos of clothing items laying around somewhere, but will dig them out in time.

On an unrelated note, for opera-lovers in the NYC area or with Met Live telecast access -- I highly recommend seeing The Nose, by Shostakovich! One of the most visually interesting productions I've seen (though I admittedly have a taste for the modern). A rare treat.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeez! The thread is on fire!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WHY OH WHY DID I LEAVE HOME TODAY WITHOUT MY SCAVENGER HUNT BADGE?

But I made up for that, three feet later, by pulling out this Canali leather jacket. Both of these items were in the womens outer wear section.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
As mentioned above, Valentino Boutique may also be The Good. Isaia + stupid V:

(Black 2 button jacket, not my size.)

I stand corrected, although I'd want to see the whole coat.

Nobody here should be buying those to wear. Wingtip kiltie tassel loafers = the trifecta of ugly.
Never seen them before, but those are neat!

+1 those things look like they were created as part of a practical joke.

Thrift Fit Pic

jacket: forme d'expression (thrifted)
shirt: v::room (thrifted)
pants: uniqlo x undercover (thrifted)
shoes: damir doma (thrifted)

Love the jacket (same one you rocked in a past fit pic?) but a little less sure of the cropped pants + fur-lined slipper boots. Take a full body pic!

LeSacre

Reaction score
Another pair of horse butt shoes today. That's 2 pairs in less than a week. Pics will be coming soon.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to carbon date Jantzen sweaters? This looks like something my mom might have worn in the early 80s...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics