• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could not leave this "100% Super Bright Nylon" monsterpiece behind today.

I see only 3 possible scenarios where this shirt could be worn.
1. To the local discotheque on ladies night.
2. For a grand drug exchange, likely to end up featured on world's stupidest criminals.
3. While driving your newly thrifted Ferrari to Goodwill.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, what do ya expect? I am from Meen-ah-soh-tah, doncha no-oh. :laugh:

Did you see GMMcL's passing reference today about Lake Wobegon in the ebay thread? Is it true that all you folks in Minnesota are above average. Or do you have to be Lutheran and/or Norwegian?

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you see GMMcL's passing reference today about Lake Wobegon in the ebay thread? Is it true that all you folks in Minnesota are above average. Or do you have to be Lutheran and/or Norwegian?
Only all the children are above average. However, the women are strong, and the men are good-looking. Being from Wisconsin, I can attest to that.

Pupatl

Reaction score
Bought 8 shirts on Saturday. I think that's the most I've ever bought in one trip - normally I buy like one or two items total. It's like someone close enough to my size forgot to pick up their dry cleaning. Did see what I think was a real Gianni Versace jacket/orphaned suit coat, but sadly the word most likely to have followed "real" in this particular case was "outdated".

Still only buying for myself as not confident yet in my ability to find anything someone besides me would want. But - I saw more Harris Tweed than usual - I am not a huge fan but I know some guys on here are - are they always worth picking up in terms of interest on here, or are they relatively common? Not yet ready to start acquiring stock for trading but inching towards it.

Armani Exchange, vintage Banana Republic (2nd safari-esque in a week -it's more ivory than yellow), 2x Brooks Brothers Makers. Both the A|X and the Banana Republic have some condition issues - the BR is missing a button (from the middle of the sleeve which is why I didn't see it in the store - I couldn't figure out at first why the spare button was sewn into the middle of the sleeve and then realized it was missing a button on the other sleeve) and has been starched by a dry cleaner to the point of being able to stand on its own. The A|X has a tear that I did not see until I got home right at the bottom buttonhole, which should go unnoticed when I wear it since I tuck my shirt in. Yeah I know, A|X, but I like it.

Charles Tyrwhitt (french cuffs); Canali, Gitman Brothers (for Muses) and Lorenzini (with insane thick MOP buttons). The GB has some weird sort of pulls, way down at the bottom of the buttons and will not show when the shirt is tucked in. I may have to move the collar button on the Canali & Lorenzini a touch though I don't wear a tie that often so it may not matter or might use a collar extender rather than messing with moving the buttons. The blue/silver Lorenzini is my favorite (and was the first shirt I found at this particular store, prompting me to have to get a cart which was good as I racked up the other 7!).

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2. For a grand drug exchange, likely to end up featured on world's stupidest criminals.

I totally pick up vintage 70's "virgin Italian polyester" shirts when I find them...saving up to have an eBay vintage / western / disco / 70's sale week.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought 8 shirts on Saturday. I think that's the most I've ever bought in one trip - normally I buy like one or two items total. It's like someone close enough to my size forgot to pick up their dry cleaning. Did see what I think was a real Gianni Versace jacket/orphaned suit coat, but sadly the word most likely to have followed "real" in this particular case was "outdated".

Still only buying for myself as not confident yet in my ability to find anything someone besides me would want. But - I saw more Harris Tweed than usual - I am not a huge fan but I know some guys on here are - are they always worth picking up in terms of interest on here, or are they relatively common? Not yet ready to start acquiring stock for trading but inching towards it.

Armani Exchange, vintage Banana Republic (2nd safari-esque in a week -it's more ivory than yellow), 2x Brooks Brothers Makers. Both the A|X and the Banana Republic have some condition issues - the BR is missing a button (from the middle of the sleeve which is why I didn't see it in the store - I couldn't figure out at first why the spare button was sewn into the middle of the sleeve and then realized it was missing a button on the other sleeve) and has been starched by a dry cleaner to the point of being able to stand on its own. The A|X has a tear that I did not see until I got home right at the bottom buttonhole, which should go unnoticed when I wear it since I tuck my shirt in. Yeah I know, A|X, but I like it.

Charles Tyrwhitt (french cuffs); Canali, Gitman Brothers (for Muses) and Lorenzini (with insane thick MOP buttons). The GB has some weird sort of pulls, way down at the bottom of the buttons and will not show when the shirt is tucked in. I may have to move the collar button on the Canali & Lorenzini a touch though I don't wear a tie that often so it may not matter or might use a collar extender rather than messing with moving the buttons. The blue/silver Lorenzini is my favorite (and was the first shirt I found at this particular store, prompting me to have to get a cart which was good as I racked up the other 7!).

Re: Harris Tweed, I only pick them up anymore when they have a size tag...and a lot of them do not. Then of course weeding out the ones with any moth damage, I end up buying 1 out of 15 or 20 I come across. They tend to crop up around here (the South) in batches - see them in spades then gone for 6 or 8 months.

You must be near the south as well, to scare up a Muses shirt. I buy Gitman for myself when I see it and it fits; only Gitman Vintage to flip.

The red tag Tyrwhitt is probably the Sea Island Quality Cotton or whatever they call it now - typically among the more expensive of any of their shirts, and a nice find for CT stuff. Bonus if it includes the brass collar stays, which they usually do not, even though they all include them when bought new - people keep them when donating.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nice! You should have bought the matching one that Spoo listed a few weeks ago as well.

Boy that is the best :revolve: that could have happened! a triple touch of thrifters on that piece! :slayer:

PS - I didnt know that was you messenger - will amend those shipping charges stat.

:plain:

I think it works, only if you wear it, driving the ferrari to the disco on ladies night, to have a grand drug exchange there. Anything else would be just foolish.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a massive haul when I went down to LA this past week for pleasure and work. My haul came from my clients and some consignment stores.
The great thing about this trip was not only the haul but also that I won $2500 playing cards, which covered my new Stoptech brakes and everything else with some $ leftover :slayer::slayer:

Will try to post pics when I can but brands such as:

Dsquared2 (3 shirts and 1 of the most awesome cardigan/coat/sweater thing), Kiton, 3 Brioni suits and 1 Brioni unstructured SC, Diana Von Furstenberg, Loub's, Sutor's, RLPL, Gant Michael Bastian, Isaia, MMM, Gucci, 5 pairs of women shoes, 1 womens handbag, Finamore, and more I can't remember.

Pretty much all is available and will be up on B&S or ebay unless if something is worked out.

Cheers

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tj maxx yields another good Hickey Freeman tie for 12.99, cashmere blend. Also liked the way this polo fit, 29 bucks.

Anyone looking for a good deal on a suit hanger for under $15, check out bed, bath and beyond. For 12 bucks these are pretty good. They measure about 18" and just under 2.5" wide at the ends. There were no rough spots at all on these, nice and smooth. They aren't as pretty as the set I have from The Hanger Project, but they seem to be well made.

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thrift fit,
Vintage Sierra Designs 60/40 parka
Barbour
Filson x2, one from Nat
Lake McDonald in Glaicer National Park.

You guys killed it while I was gone! Soooooo much good stuff, I'm not even going to quote anything. Shout out to Gmmcl for some awesome vintage slim fitting patchwork madras trousers that were waiting for me on my return!

The Tetons!!!!!! One of my favorite spots on the planet, bar none! Everybody should go there at least once in their lifetime.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Motherf****rs who donate torn / stained / damaged stuff to thrifts really irk me. Like they think "Oh, those poor people will definitely want to buy my old, faded, stained collar, torn shirt because it's [Brooks Brothers or whatnot] and poor people want to have nice things like this shirt used to be." Or whatever - no idea what goes thru the mind of someone who donates unusable and unwearable stuff. For the tax write-off? If so, that's pretty crummy....

This is my biggest gripe too. If you want to donate something that's dated, fine. But you have to be real ************* to basically use a charity as your own personal garbage dump. Absolute best case scenario (apart from a strong wind blowing the bag out of the donation bin and onto the asshole's windshield so he loses control and drives into a telephone pole) is the store manages to sell it to someone who doesn't see the rip, and then turns it into an ammo bag.

Had a massive haul when I went down to LA this past week for pleasure and work. My haul came from my clients and some consignment stores.
The great thing about this trip was not only the haul but also that I won $2500 playing cards, which covered my new Stoptech brakes and everything else with some $ leftover
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Will try to post pics when I can but brands such as:

Dsquared2 (3 shirts and 1 of the most awesome cardigan/coat/sweater thing), Kiton, 3 Brioni suits and 1 Brioni unstructured SC, Diana Von Furstenberg, Loub's, Sutor's, RLPL, Gant Michael Bastian, Isaia, MMM, Gucci, 5 pairs of women shoes, 1 womens handbag, Finamore, and more I can't remember.

Pretty much all is available and will be up on B&S or ebay unless if something is worked out.

Cheers

Nicely done! Also, if any of that's around an M/40R-L/34W/shoe size 12/45, colour me interested .

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SW&D keeps rolling in:

fing02[1].gif

Thrift fit,
Vintage Sierra Designs 60/40 parka
Barbour
Filson x2, one from Nat
Lake McDonald in Glaicer National Park.

You guys killed it while I was gone! Soooooo much good stuff, I'm not even going to quote anything. Shout out to Gmmcl for some awesome vintage slim fitting patchwork madras trousers that were waiting for me on my return!

The Tetons!!!!!! One of my favorite spots on the planet, bar none! Everybody should go there at least once in their lifetime.
drool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads