• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Edwin jean jackets any good? The prices seem to vary quite a bit. Are some better than others?

You want the short answer or the long answer? Well, Edwin is kinda like the Levi's of Japan. They've being around for not that long, for maybe around 60, 70 years (or maybe less...) Just like Levi's, they've put out their shares of crap especially for jean jackets. I think the most common jean jackets you will find floating around are these.
http://www.gilt.com/brand/edwin-jeans/style/jackets

Or these...

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/axs-sanshin/item/edwin_46270/

Some SFer was selling theirs for on the cheap.

BUT, if you do find their Overworks Factory and Vintage (from what I can recall, those are two different lines), (think LVC selvedge level) in a thrift, like this

http://www.superdenim.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=2800

denim heads will give you zee props and basically will call you the winner of the interwebs. Me, personally, I don't think denim jackets are really all that popular with the "normal" crowds because not too many people like wearing Canadian tuxedos. But I'm sure you can make some money if you buy the right ones. Anyhow, I'm sure denim heads will know more.

Which ones you got? Dibs if my size!!!!!!!! LOL JK JK. I'm actually super broke after buying that kick ass, sweet Billy Reid...But seriously, if you find stuff in my size, let me know so I can get super jelly and get all denim boner from it!
fing02[1].gif

Last edited:

futuremyth

Reaction score
I think the thumb needs to be out for I Love You, that's devil horns/evil eye protection.

Dolfan954

Reaction score
After a long dry spell (and I mean long - haven't found anything worth mentioning really in months), I had a good haul today.

**Edit** Some photos are showing upside-down or sideways for me. If so, I apologize. Not sure why as they are rotated correctly on my computer. Too tired to try and fix it so if you wish, just tilt your head slightly to view correctly.

Hermes stuff. Missed out on about 8-10 more ties, something else in a box and a scarf. Mostly chain link and non-critter patterns.

Some more ties. Knit ties by Paul Stuart and Ben Silver. Ferragamo butterly tie and Lords ascot. Passed on about 20 Vineyard Vines ties and a whole bunch of knit ties (Polo RL, Dunhill, Holland & Holland, etc). Kicking myself hard but had no choice. Was out of money.

Shirts. All RLPL except for one Paul Stuart.

More shirts. RLPL and two NWT/NWOT Hanro undershirts.

Couple pairs of shoes. Can anyone ID these Polo benchmades? C&J?

Mint Tods

Anyone need a watch winder? Mint/unused (still has the plastic film on the knob) Wolf Designs single watch winder.

Same one here:

http://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Designs-...=1369346653&sr=8-3&keywords=wolf+watch+winder

Picked up this Foster & Sons leather briefcase to pass on to a SFer for cost+gas+shipping if they want to try and revive it. It's not too bad as is. Paid up but still a steal for what it is.

Cole Haan Villiage handbag

and this (available as neither my wife or myself are coffee drinkers).

Amazing haul, but I think this got lost in the other amazingness. That will likely make you wish you were a drinker, I'd bet.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I should have bothered, do you guys normally pick up Charles Tyrwhitt shirts? I picked up 2 in my size with French Cuff in nice colors.

Burberrys Madras short sleeve

I left these 4 behind, looks like I probably should have at least picked up the Ted Baker tie?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I should have bothered, do you guys normally pick up Charles Tyrwhitt shirts? I picked up 2 in my size with French Cuff in nice colors.

Burberrys Madras short sleeve

I left these 4 behind, looks like I probably should have at least picked up the Ted Baker tie?

CT isn't really that hot on here but we have members pick those up. I usually pass them along unless they fit me really well. TB doesn't get much love on here either. But I really like their Endurance line tweeds. I'll pick them up for sure if I see them in a thrift.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You want the short answer or the long answer? Well, Edwin is kinda like the Levi's of Japan. They've being around for not that long, for maybe around 60, 70 years (or maybe less...) Just like Levi's, they've put out their shares of crap especially for jean jackets. I think the most common jean jackets you will find floating around are these.
http://www.gilt.com/brand/edwin-jeans/style/jackets

Or these...

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/axs-sanshin/item/edwin_46270/

Some SFer was selling theirs for on the cheap.

BUT, if you do find their Overworks Factory and Vintage (from what I can recall, those are two different lines), (think LVC selvedge level) in a thrift, like this

http://www.superdenim.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=2800

denim heads will give you zee props and basically will call you the winner of the interwebs. Me, personally, I don't think denim jackets are really all that popular with the "normal" crowds because not too many people like wearing Canadian tuxedos. But I'm sure you can make some money if you buy the right ones. Anyhow, I'm sure denim heads will know more.

Which ones you got? Dibs if my size!!!!!!!! LOL JK JK. I'm actually super broke after buying that kick ass, sweet Billy Reid...But seriously, if you find stuff in my size, let me know so I can get super jelly and get all denim boner from it!
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

Thx. There's one sitting at a thrift I go to multiple times per week. It's definitely not the product in your last think, though. I'll get some pics or maybe just buy it because it's probably only a few dollars.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Greg, that fit took you about 20 paces back sartorially. Sorry bro. Pinstripe orphys and a full fu rig?
confused.gif

Respectfully I disagree. To me it was one of the few cases where an orphan looked good... when it's clear that the wearer knows full well what they're doing, and the rule-obsessed be damned. Tie is what makes it, I think.

Jebus Cris! Have you guys seen Frenchy's recent haul on his tumblr?!
drool.gif

http://frenchyfoundit.tumblr.com/

Ah damnit. And here I was about to go on an expedition today.

Now then... I've been meaning to give a big SHOUT OUT to two members who hooked me up recently, but have been waiting for the right time. Here it is.

Thrift fit from yesterday (excuse the camera angle... my torso isn't really that ridiculously long):

Jacket - MMM (big thanks to RANDOMORE)
Shirt - J Crew (t-rifted)
Pants - Vince (Holt Last Call)
Barely Visible Boots - Alden (chocolate suede, big thanks to ShoutOutsFoMyBo)

As usual, you guys rock.

Last edited:

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a fan of CT, even at "retail" (you know, comparing apples to apples). The price is right, I've locked on to the right fit, and you can get some colours, patterns that you don't normally find in a generic menswear store. Compared to high-end items, they're no match but you could do a lot worse. So at thrift prices, if you're building a wardrobe, pick 'em up.

Their Sea Islands are also nice. My favourite shirt is a SI from them. I'm wearing it into the ground. Collar and cuffs are wearing away but it's the perfect weekend, super casual shirt.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Derail: Is Don Draper going through a mid life crisis in season 6?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thx. There's one sitting at a thrift I go to multiple times per week. It's definitely not the product in your last think, though. I'll get some pics or maybe just buy it because it's probably only a few dollars.

I think type I usually do better and are pretty damn rare.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nat, great haul. Im happy you scored after so long.

You have a PM as well.

Greg, that fit took you about 20 paces back sartorially. Sorry bro. Pinstripe orphys and a full fu rig? :confused:

Nope, that label is about 2000-2002. current label is black.

Wow, you're right. I even went to cross check a pair of trousers I recently picked up. Brain fart. :facepalm: For some reason, my mind still saw the white label. Maybe cause the pants are white?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads