• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

we should put together an east coast charity black tie event!

(Styleforum meet up style)

+. 1.

I need an excuse to wear either my James Bond Villain cream tux or the Dracula jacket I got from Wes. Or both, if I play my cards right.

and don't forget it's also about being a cold ass h****y, my friend, being a cold ass h****y.
mwink%5B1%5D.gif

In before the endless string of quotes from the song and the debate over whether this means the end of our hobby as we know it.

Edit: More finds, still no time. RLPL tie, PRL trou (that hopefully do as well as Wes's), Brioni pocket square (I think), I feel like there was something else cool in there that I'm now forgetting.

Last edited:

Randy

Reaction score
LOL, I had thought it was a fringe song by some talented, albeit relatively unknown, Seattle rapper. Irrespective of the folks who posted it here for the past few months as if we'd not yet seen it, I was just frankly shocked to hear that the damned song now sits atop the Billboard USA charts at #1. Now that is ******* awesome.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did a quick thrift run about 30 minutes before the store closed. I'm glad I did!

Passed on a Salvatore F. tie that was freak'n awesome but had stains...FU!!!

Picked up these!

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big shout outs to capnwes for hooking me up with a pair of unhemed BB slim fit trousers! You rock, Wes! Always!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thrift fit:

Andover Shop by Norman Hilton tweed
Brooks Brothers OCBD (40% off after Christmas)
Brooks Brothers flannels
Lands' End silk knit
Pantherella OTCs (discount store)
Allen Edmonds Sanford

Brianpore: I had a custom bow tie made from a destroyed Hermes tie at the Cordial Churchman. It cost less than $30. Give them a try.

Holy ****! That jacket is amazing! Great fit pic. :nodding:

Shiny

Reaction score

Hrm, when I "almost" found you a tux I found another one, shawl-collar midnight blue in a larger size (I'm guessing like a 44? didn't bother looking at the size or measuring since I was on a mission.)  Was like $38, though.  Wondering if I should go back for it? Someone here in the low-mid '40s sizing want one or should have one at a little higher than thrift prices?  Not really into flipping, but maybe if someone (Brian?) wants me to proxy and split profits... Don't know.  There was a dated Zegna peak-lapel dinner jacket too, but it was paired with random pants.  Sigh.  I think I'm finally reaching that point after the initial noob-craze of picking up everything you think is good and tradeable, to now being extremely wary of picking up a CT shirt in a tradeable size that is pink plaid (happened yesterday).

I average about one event per year that requires a tux. I ended up buying a no name rental tux from a formal wear place that was going out of business a few years ago. I don't have pumps, but will wear my shiny park avenues with it. A while ago, I passed on a banana republic tux in my size because they wanted like $40 for it. They probably wanted $40 for it because it WAS a banana republic, lol. In retrospect I should have picked it up because it fit me better than the one I currently have. Come to think of it, that BR tux is the only one that I've ever come across in my size. Yeah Brian, youse right.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some stuff from today...

Bills Khakis 8-Wale cords (32x28)
Patagonia shirt (n/a)
Brooks Brothers shirt
Reyn Spooner shirt (n/a)
Barbour Heritage Flannel (XXL -available)

Last edited:

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello from LA. I haven't gotten a chance to thrift yet, but I did do some casual browsing in expensive retail establishments. My brother lives 2 minutes from this place: http://www.thestronghold.com/

I'm very close to spending $300 on a pair of jeans.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Let me know if you plan on heading east of Venice to hit the shops, especially if you venture over towards west hollywood / hollywood.

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No worries. You probably got 5 times what my cheap a$$ could have afforded! :lol:

Ummm.....no. Nevermore.

+1

Attolini
Tom Ford
Kiton

Are some of my pickups all suits / sport coats. Not sure the Attolini is authentic but I will post pics later.

Changed my thrifting habits - I aint picking up the "fairly" old stuff anymore. If it is older than 10 years or in less than mint condition, nighty night it stays there. I am not against the vintage scene but a 15 year old Brioni suit is not vintage nor is it in any manner modern. Basically unpickable in my book and offensive to look at as well. I left around 4 of these Brioni's behind the other day and it was a heck of a decision given they were only 9bucks a pop.

If it were not for name, I would have felt no pain. ...

I left a Brioni shirt (that I would have taken a year ago) because the tips of the collar were frayed. And it's not like I've ever found much Brioni to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads