• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Just got back from a quick hit run. Hit up one GW that has never turned up much for me and I'm glad I did as I walked out with the best nutso pants haul I've ever had. Someone must have died because these are all 36 waisters.
1st row top to bottom: Kiton, Kiton, Zegna Su Misura, Barbera, Etro
2nd row top to bottom: Barbera, Barbera, Barbera, Incotex, Incotex, Incotex, Incotex.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

46=36......???
patch[1].gif

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, thrifting is tedious and annoying if you're not finding anything. Finally found a couple things today... Highlights are a 42L Donegal Handwoven tweed and some more NOS vintage shooz. Copeg by Scholl NST with a bevelled and pegged waist, 11EE. Never seen a bevelled pegged waist before... Only the highest end shoes now do this, but I guess it was more common decades ago. Pics later.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree on dibbing good ****, but sometimes I stop the whole flow of good stuff like 8 nwt's j crew selavage jeans come in and I snatch them all up :/ and where I volunteer you have to work up to register so you just do pricing the whole time XD

No offense, but this doesn't sound like volunteering. It sounds like you are putting in time with the expectation of getting something in return. If you put in, say, four hours but take away items that could be sold on shopgoodwill.com or ebay or the like for $400, or even $100, then you are actually making a pretty good living from volunteer work. Have you considered saying, Hey, look at these jeans--we could sell them online to help the cause? Didn't think so.

Don't mean to be overly harsh. Every GW is different, the one in my area happens to do some pretty good work, I think. Not long ago, an employee in the sorting room found a Rolex. It sold for more than $12k on shopgoodwill.com. Ask yourself what you would do if you'd found that watch. The employee did the right thing, I think.

green_machine

Reaction score

No offense, but this doesn't sound like volunteering. It sounds like you are putting in time with the expectation of getting something in return. If you put in, say, four hours but take away items that could be sold on shopgoodwill.com or ebay or the like for $400, or even $100, then you are actually making a pretty good living from volunteer work. Have you considered saying, Hey, look at these jeans--we could sell them online to help the cause? Didn't think so. Don't mean to be overly harsh. Every GW is different, the one in my area happens to do some pretty good work, I think. Not long ago, an employee in the sorting room found a Rolex. It sold for more than $12k on shopgoodwill.com. Ask yourself what you would do if you'd found that watch. The employee did the right thing, I think.
:deadhorse:
Just got back from a quick hit run. Hit up one GW that has never turned up much for me and I'm glad I did as I walked out with the best nutso pants haul I've ever had. Someone must have died because these are all 36 waisters. 1st row top to bottom: Kiton, Kiton, Zegna Su Misura, Barbera, Etro 2nd row top to bottom: Barbera, Barbera, Barbera, Incotex, Incotex, Incotex, Incotex.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense, but this doesn't sound like volunteering. It sounds like you are putting in time with the expectation of getting something in return. If you put in, say, four hours but take away items that could be sold on shopgoodwill.com or ebay or the like for $400, or even $100, then you are actually making a pretty good living from volunteer work. Have you considered saying, Hey, look at these jeans--we could sell them online to help the cause? Didn't think so.
Don't mean to be overly harsh. Every GW is different, the one in my area happens to do some pretty good work, I think. Not long ago, an employee in the sorting room found a Rolex. It sold for more than $12k on shopgoodwill.com. Ask yourself what you would do if you'd found that watch. The employee did the right thing, I think.
uhm I don't volunteer at goodwill I volunteer at a for profit thrift shop not related to any charity...

Towers

Reaction score

A few accessories:

Dunhill belt - Like new....almost too new and think it's fake? Belt quality (to my inexperienced eye) isn't that well made. Anyone seen a fake before?

It could be promotional crap for their fragrance, I ebayed a Dunhill bag which turned out to be a gift with purchase piece of garbage for their cologne.

Not my style but ebay cash

How much do you flip these for? I found a huge number of Farragamo novelty prints a while back and they don't see much rotation so I'm thinking of sending them to ebay.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
How much do you flip these for? I found a huge number of Farragamo novelty prints a while back and they don't see much rotation so I'm thinking of sending them to ebay.
As much as I can get

Last edited:

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn, thrifting is tedious and annoying if you're not finding anything. Finally found a couple things today... Highlights are a 42L Donegal Handwoven tweed and some more NOS vintage shooz. Copeg by Scholl NST with a bevelled and pegged waist, 11EE. Never seen a bevelled pegged waist before... Only the highest end shoes now do this, but I guess it was more common decades ago. Pics later. 

Ya, it's been slow here. I did find a Canali and a Barbera dress shirt today and the Barbera fits me quite nicely. It's funny how it only takes one item to make a trip a success sometimes...

acosbysweater

Reaction score

It could be promotional crap for their fragrance, I ebayed a Dunhill bag which turned out to be a gift with purchase piece of garbage for their cologne.

I sold a butterfly motif for 105 smackers last go round. I honestly think they do better than Hermes ties much of the time.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sold a butterfly motif for 105 smackers last go round. I honestly think they do better than Hermes ties much of the time.
Well, I wouldn't buy one for that, but I like them a lot better than the Hermes most of the time.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I had a great day today. Being the broke-ass that I am at the moment, I decided to take a bunch of stuff that I'm too lazy to post on ebay, to the local buy/sell/trade spot. As they are going through my bags, I decide to check put the men's stuff. This is one of the those places that caters to the H&M crowd, so nothing worth mentioning, although, this is the place I found a pair of RLPL trousers for Brianpore about a month ago. Anyhoo, I didn't find anything in the mens section, so I decide to check out the woman's section. I nearly shat myself when I saw this. RLPL double breasted greatcoat made out of 100% cashmere, sick hounds-tooth with purple window-pane over-check. Ticket pocket, vented, huge peak lapels and large horn buttons. Pretty much one of the nicest pieces of clothing I've ever handled. This is a few years old to be sure, but my ****** google-fu indicates that these retailed for 3-4K when new. Unavailable at the moment. Anybody know who made this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Found this on the inside breast pocket, suede pouch with extra horn buttons. :slayer:

Then I found this, two garments down from the jacket. PRL by Corneliani hacking jacket. Amazing pattern, real leather buttons, neck latch, ticket pocket, suede elbow patches and double vented. Also a 46R. This gent had some good taste. Also N/A for the moment.

Ant the best part is, after the discounts from the stuff I traded in, I payed less then $10!!!!!! They had the RLPL posted as Polo Ralph Lauren. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics