• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randomore

Reaction score
Shoutout to Grendel for hooking me up with a awesome Burberry suit. This thing fits me better than my only other suit I had tailored... haha

Thanks man!

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoutout to Grendel for hooking me up with a awesome Burberry suit. This thing fits me better than my only other suit I had tailored... haha

Thanks man!

Cool, glad it works for you!

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thrift fit today. Chilly; below 60 this morning. Almost entirely thrifted.
Deets: Coat: HF MTM, "thrifted" by me. (I put that in air-quotes because it was bought at a consignment shop for a pretty penny) SC: Oxxford, traded from a dude here Waistcoat: J. Crew Retail Shirt: Borrelli, thrifted by me Tie: Italian woven wool, maker unknown (see detail shot -- anyone know this mark? If not, can someone shoot me a PM with the link to the label thread?) Thrifted by me Square: Italian silk, maker unknown, thrifted by me Trou: recent Zegna su misura, thrifted by me Shoes: AE Brewster in whiskey, thrifted by me (Sorry about the waistcoat lapel here. This is the only shot that shows the square. Detail shot of tie keeper tag:
Also, please tell me you have a bowler or homburg to go with this. I've met you, you could totally pull it off. :slayer:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Assuming that is standard width hardwood flooring, I would say its just a youth knit neck tie. Looks to be around 36-40 " long and about 2" wide. Am I even close?

I don't know. I feel like I've seen "straight" bowties -- ones that don't flare. For example, I think I recall seeing them in connection with "sub fusc" -- a particular type of dress required of students at certain events -- at Oxford. This would be the right length and width. But I'm no expert.

For some reason I would expect the Ask Andy crowd to know a lot more about bowties.

Also, please tell me you have a bowler or homburg to go with this. I've met you, you could totally pull it off. :slayer:

LOL, I don't. I'm actually really short in the hat department, owning only baseball caps. I just can't bring myself to buy thrifted hats (or to buy retail). It's Spoo's "first line of contact" rule on speed: I can do trousers, even shirts, but hats are more like undies or socks. Eeew. It's hair, man! OK, well, not in my case, but you know what I mean.

Thanks for all the compliments, though, everyone!

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GMMcL, your beard is exquisitely sculpted, sir. You must possess the hands of a surgeon!

I'm afraid I only have his cuffs. :rimshot:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know. I feel like I've seen "straight" bowties -- ones that don't flare. For example, I think I recall seeing them in connection with "sub fusc" -- a particular type of dress required of students at certain events -- at Oxford. This would be the right length and width. But I'm no expert.
For some reason I would expect the Ask Andy crowd to know a lot more about bowties.
I have a few straight bowties at home. They are each only about 3/4" to 1" wide. The ones I have all have the adjustable neck feature so it's hard to say how long it would need to be without that. Most of mine only flare out to the 1" width in the last 5 or 6 inches to make the bow. The rest is rather narrow.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
I passed on a pair of Allen Edmonds (Mcallisters, I think) in fairly good condition because of the size, 6.5. Are you guys able to move such small shoes?
Small yes...but those area even smaller then small. If under $10, shoes in decent condition are always worth it IMO for a good flip

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
Small yes...but those area even smaller then small. If under $10, shoes in decent condition are always worth it IMO for a good flip

I was thinking with the small size, it probably wasn't worth it. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a few straight bowties at home. They are each only about 3/4" to 1" wide. The ones I have all have the adjustable neck feature so it's hard to say how long it would need to be without that. Most of mine only flare out to the 1" width in the last 5 or 6 inches to make the bow. The rest is rather narrow.

I wear a 16" collar, and the bowtie with me, adjusted to that, measures 33 inches. It ties a rather small bow. If that thing is 40, I'm going to have to go along with the boys size standard tie. If under 36, I'm not sure.

Randomore

Reaction score
Was at my usual lunch GW and saw someone with an armfull of shirts looking through coats. Anyone here at the Santa Monica Blvd GW around noon? Cotton Dockers was that you?

Assumed they cleared shirts/suits so I went through pants and found a pair of Zegna my size and a Coach belt my size, not bad for 15 minutes of thrifting.

thriftydood

Reaction score
Passed on a NWT 100% cashmere houndstooth sportcoat in EU 48C (US 38S). The coat was quite dated looking--it was unvented, and it had the boxy broad-shoulder cut of the early-mid 90s, so it was a very large 38. The label read "Mario Zanella", not sure if that is a now defunct label or a made-up name. The fabric was 1881 Cerruti 100% cashmere. If it weren't unvented, I probably would have picked it up.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was at my usual lunch GW and saw someone with an armfull of shirts looking through coats. Anyone here at the Santa Monica Blvd GW around noon? Cotton Dockers was that you?

Assumed they cleared shirts/suits so I went through pants and found a pair of Zegna my size and a Coach belt my size, not bad for 15 minutes of thrifting.
Nope, not me. I always go thrifting in full morning dress so I'm pretty easy to spot.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a thin Carhartt Shirt-Jac over a t shirt all winter, even in the snow. I could probably get away with just the t-shirt as long as I have a hat on. The snow melts around me.

Wes the human torch.

I passed on a pair of Allen Edmonds (Mcallisters, I think) in fairly good condition because of the size, 6.5. Are you guys able to move such small shoes?

I'm sure someone in Japan would gladly these for a pretty penny.

Nope, not me. I always go thrifting in full morning dress so I'm pretty easy to spot.

Pics!
lurker[1].gif

Florsheim Imperials, sz. 9.5. Hardly worn. Available.
01A99C84-517D-40E4-B3BD-7C04D39B40A3-4793-000003142FE68188.jpg

These are beautiful! I wish they were my size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads