• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikethelights

Reaction score

:nodding:
Yeah, thought I'd save ya the time/trouble. I've been at it for a few days to no avail. Funny thing is, with the amount of money in that area, it's been strangely dry lately. I spotted the assistant manager, whom I've heard a lot of stories about from volunteers, raiding a new Porsche Panamera the other day while the two donation attendants just stood there watching. Since when do managers take in donations? :sneaky2:

Thanks, it's appreciated. I haven't had much luck at that location in a while now. I also noted some prices going up there too...

tubs

Reaction score
I picked up a Burberry tie today and was curious if it is a fake, or if the tag that they used just changed over time (Burberrys to Burberry). I poked around online for a bit but wasn't able to find much.

I like the colors, but don't know about the pattern. What do you guys think?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Burberry tie today and was curious if it is a fake, or if the tag that they used just changed over time (Burberrys to Burberry). I poked around online for a bit but wasn't able to find much.

That's odd. I've never seen one that said "Burberrys of London". It's always been either "Burberrys" or "Burberry of London". Not saying it's fake, just new to me.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, that is definitely real, just older, and it looks pretty dated to me. If you like it, more power to you!

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Shouldn't there be an apostrophe after the S?

RN number indicates Cluett Peabody & Co., known for their wonderful Arrow dress shirts.

Last edited:

Mox C

Reaction score

honestly - do you really like it or is the label speaking to you?

That's a good question, but speaking for myself, fakes bother me, even if I'm only buying it for myself. I'll pick up an Arrow tie if it really grabs me, but I don't want an Arrow tie with a RL label on it. I feel the same about wearing a fake Rolex.

tubs

Reaction score
honestly - do you really like it or is the label speaking to you?
I like it alright. I don't work in an environment where ties are worn, so I'm still trying to figure out what sort of patterns are considered in good taste as far as a tie like this is concerned. I'll probably keep it, but am curious if it would be worth trying to sell something like this on ebay.

Mox C

Reaction score
This isn't a brag, but I'm putting it up because I think it's interesting. I haven't seen anything like it before, though admittedly I haven't been doing this for long.

Petrocelli-details.jpg

It's a mottled black & brown with gold flecks (not shiny), made between '49 & '62, and feels like felt, though I can see a twill weave. Is that called anything special?

Pics & details:
Petrocelli-label.jpg

Petrocelli.jpg

Shoulders: 19" - Chest: 45" - Waist: 43" - Sleeves: 25" (1.25" let-out) - Length (including collar): 34"
Fully canvased, faux ticket pocket (Available)

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Over-rated.

These frames are easily on par with my Cutler and Gross frames, so no they aren't over rated. You might be more of a vintage American Optical kinda guy given that you are trad till death, but I prefer a bit of creativity to what I wear and Tom Ford is one of the brands that does this.

Mercuryman76

Reaction score
Doing a little cross posting from the new thrift thread. Some finds over the past few weeks.

Saw these on the shelf and thought they looked decent but they had some kind of crappy black insole in there. Picked them up, felt they were heavy as **** and when I pulled out the insole bingo bango Alden! My size so keeping these guys. Sole has been topied, but will probably send these back to Alden for recrafting.
rMpnPl.jpg

Found these "Red Wings" a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure these were real because some things just seemed off to me, but after emailing some pics to Red Wing they confirmed they were from the 90s.
3vKAkl.jpg

8QjPIl.jpg

iacMBl.jpg

CPDQTl.jpg

Pretty minty and cool wool Filson workwear shirt.
1ozobl.jpg

AuEaml.jpg

Hickey Freeman Loro Piana suit
ukDmNl.jpg

Ewdoal.jpg

baOG4l.jpg

Brioni
wT4hEl.jpg

795P7l.jpg

A little L to the Peezy
U5FoPl.jpg

422BHl.jpg

Some huge 14B AE pebblegrains
ugUrAl.jpg

Zegna tan suit. Needs a minor repair to the pants/waist button.
oJ7V8l.jpg

RQ4dkl.jpg

Zegna 15 mil jacket. Probably an orphan but figured maybe could use it as Ebay fodder.
tN3Qil.jpg

4OJOwl.jpg

Couple Charvets
4ZUwpl.jpg

gbV9Kl.jpg

rfBG7l.jpg

r1wZ7l.jpg

Kiton 5-fold
IhpBDl.jpg

Lgzukl.jpg

5QMtgl.jpg

The best recent find...a little ee-sah-ee-ah sportcoat. This thing is pretty awesome imho. Any ideas on what the fabric is called? Not a tweed, but...something?
ooh6Al.jpg

i9McPl.jpg

z3LmUl.jpg

gqpit.jpg

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, hit up 10 spots today and only grabbed 3 things. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
First up, grabbed this sweet Lodenfrey duffel coat in my size. The thing is mint except the leather pieces next to the toggles need to be replaced, shouldn't be to much at the tailors. Still has the hood too!

A pair of vintage Florsheim v-cleat, longwing gunboats in 10.5B (my size) so N/A, I stopped counting at 70 nails.

And this sweet tide gauge!

My buddy however, won for the day I think. He grabbed a really nice vintage Indian bleeding madras short sleeved shirt, a vintage made in the USA Pendleton buffalo plaid shirt jacket and the find of the day, a vintage Woolrich Navaho print belted jacket, all for himself, in his size. I wish I had pics of that Woolrich, the thing is RAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads