• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
true. Silva is eating the horse headed candy and it shows. he has been in some wars and I believe it has taken a toll on him.
I think he should continue to do stand up but focus on his ground game so he could be a more complete fighter. I think he has awed so many people with his stand up and I don't give a **** lets bang attitude and while its fun to watch it's not the best for a career.

he needs a vacation

Lendo

Reaction score
Pretty strong card, great fight on Franklin & Silva's parts, thought it could have gone either way. I also just heard that Cro-Cop has signed with DREAM.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Yea, the UFC deal was a one-fight deal. Still, surprising, after all his talk about fighting Randy and Nog.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Cro Cop sees the writing on the wall. He's an undersized HW with a terrible ground game who would get wrecked by the big wrestlers (Lesnar, Carwin, Velasquez) under UFC rules.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ray Mercer TKOs Tim Sylvia in 9 seconds:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
OMG!!!! MERCER BEAT SYLVIA 4X FASTER THAN FEDOR DID!!!! MERCER WOULD KTFO FEDOR!!! FEDOR SUCKZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian SD

Reaction score
Cro Cop did NOT sign with Dream: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/cro...slated-995240/
I think Cro Cop sees the writing on the wall. He's an undersized HW with a terrible ground game who would get wrecked by the big wrestlers (Lesnar, Carwin, Velasquez) under UFC rules.
... Are we on the Sherdog forums or something? First of all, Velasquez does not deserve to be mentioned here, considering that he couldn't finish Kongo, and got rocked every time he stood up. He fought a guy with gaping holes in his ground game and 0 takedown defense, and couldn't finish. Lesnar is big, but sloppy and untested. The fact that so many people rank him in the top 10 world-wide is baffling to me. Carwin would probably be a good match-up for Mirko right now. I won't disagree that his performances haven't been up to expectations, and it's clear that he's no longer in his prime. But "terrible ground game?" ...
facepalm.gif
He beat Josh Barnett, a world-class wrestler... Three times. He beat Mark Coleman, Randleman, Aleksander... Let's just discount his entire career, because clearly he'll get wrecked by newer talent with untested records.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I know youre a fan and all Brian, but I think it is fair to say his best days are well and truly behind him now.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I know youre a fan and all Brian, but I think it is fair to say his best days are well and truly behind him now.

Truly! I don't disagree.

Saigon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Cro Cop did NOT sign with Dream:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/cro...slated-995240/

... Are we on the Sherdog forums or something? First of all, Velasquez does not deserve to be mentioned here, considering that he couldn't finish Kongo, and got rocked every time he stood up. He fought a guy with gaping holes in his ground game and 0 takedown defense, and couldn't finish. Lesnar is big, but sloppy and untested. The fact that so many people rank him in the top 10 world-wide is baffling to me. Carwin would probably be a good match-up for Mirko right now.

I won't disagree that his performances haven't been up to expectations, and it's clear that he's no longer in his prime. But "terrible ground game?" ...
facepalm.gif
He beat Josh Barnett, a world-class wrestler... Three times. He beat Mark Coleman, Randleman, Aleksander...

Let's just discount his entire career, because clearly he'll get wrecked by newer talent with untested records.

Oh man, I'm so confused.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

... Are we on the Sherdog forums or something? First of all, Velasquez does not deserve to be mentioned here, considering that he couldn't finish Kongo, and got rocked every time he stood up. He fought a guy with gaping holes in his ground game and 0 takedown defense, and couldn't finish. Lesnar is big, but sloppy and untested. The fact that so many people rank him in the top 10 world-wide is baffling to me. Carwin would probably be a good match-up for Mirko right now.

I won't disagree that his performances haven't been up to expectations, and it's clear that he's no longer in his prime. But "terrible ground game?" ...
facepalm.gif
He beat Josh Barnett, a world-class wrestler... Three times. He beat Mark Coleman, Randleman, Aleksander...

Let's just discount his entire career, because clearly he'll get wrecked by newer talent with untested records.

You overlooked this very important clause at the end of my statement. The UFC rules (i.e., ten-point must system of scoring that favors takedowns, elbows to the head, limited stand-ups) and Octagon (much easier to track an opponent down and hold them down than a ring) strongly favors wrestlers. Given Cro Cop's UFC performances against Gonzaga and Kongo, I think it's likely he would fare just as poorly against Lesnar, Carwin, and Velasquez. I like his chances against these fighters better in a ring, although if his recent performance against Overeem is any indication, his best days are behind him. Everybody now knows the way to fight Cro Cop is to avoid standing a leg-kick distance away, put pressure on him, and push him around.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Cro-Cop is denying any signing with DREAM, and says he's still open to fighting more with the UFC- the only item of contention, despite Dana's screaming, is the long time in between fights.
Mirko: I did not even signed for the Dream or the UFC I'm not clear why the White believes on rumors instead of talking with me. I was hoping that we will talk about the continuation of cooperation, because the only contentious item for a long period between performances. I do not want to sit for months at home and wait for that someone called me to fight. However, I am grateful for the opportunity Whiteu in Cologne and in spite of his heavy words, I do not see reason to not prolonge agreement - explained Mirko after returning from Germany. http://translate.google.com/translat...US331%26sa%3DG

Brian SD

Reaction score
You overlooked this very important clause at the end of my statement. The UFC rules (i.e., ten-point must system of scoring that favors takedowns, elbows to the head, limited stand-ups) and Octagon (much easier to track an opponent down and hold them down than a ring) strongly favors wrestlers. Given Cro Cop's UFC performances against Gonzaga and Kongo, I think it's likely he would fare just as poorly against Lesnar, Carwin, and Velasquez. I like his chances against these fighters better in a ring, although if his recent performance against Overeem is any indication, his best days are behind him. Everybody now knows the way to fight Cro Cop is to avoid standing a leg-kick distance away, put pressure on him, and push him around.
Yes, I agree with you here. I still think you're putting too much stock into the newer guys who haven't proven themselves quite yet. Under UFC rules, it's very possible (likely, even) that he would lose to Carwin, though I'm still not sure either Velasquez or Lesnar would do more than frustrate him with their sloppy game - particularly Velasquez, who appears to have a glass jaw. But then again, frustrating someone for three rounds is grounds enough for a decision victory under UFC rules. Lastly, Overeem is no slouch. If he cleans himself up outside of the ring, he'll probably be a pretty good addition to the UFC line-up.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and say it. The future is Brett Rogers!!!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lastly, Overeem is no slouch. If he cleans himself up outside of the ring, he'll probably be a pretty good addition to the UFC line-up.
I would love to see Overeem in the UFC, and he has indicated that he wants to fight there. He has had some well-documented cardio problems in the past, but I think those problems are gone now that he's fighting at HW, which is a much better weight for him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads