• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

brooks23

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a friend in LA a Christmas present. Thinking about a $150 gift certificate to a restaurant, ideally something near Silverlake or Monterey Park (witihin 30 min drive, anyway)

Unfortunately, I don't know the area well and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation? From Googling around, I saw some recommendations for Bestia, but don't know if that's a good or bad option.

FWIW, the couple has kids. Might be good to get a place that's kid friendly, but I assume if the spot is good enough, they can also just get a babysitter.

Any suggestions?

(cc'ing @foodguy since he knows this topic well)

I'm late to the party, but try Alimento or Cliff's Edge in Silverlake. Night + Market Song is also great. Probably one of the more popular spots in LA recently.

Last edited:

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with Alimento. Excellent spot, very low key, but they do everything so well. Best Fried Chicken sandwich ever by the way.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip love me a good fried chicken sandwich.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://la.eater.com/maps/best-fried-chicken-sandwiches-los-angeles-map-guide

I've only had Plan Check and Son of a Gun.  Been meaning to try Free Range LA since the truck is always near me.

BOOM! Alimento #1. They call it a Chicken Milanese Sandwich, don't really get the Italian spin on it but it is so ******* good. Been there twice, each time we have ordered two of them.

Desserts at Alimento are ehhhh, nothing special. Go across the street to Milk for some bomb dessert.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I've had sog a few times love it. Second place is bandera in newport, not sure if brentwood has it but it's pretty damn good. Only problem is it's sort of on a roll and they cut it into 3 pieces. Also it has cheese which I don't generally prefer on fried chicken but it somehow works. The sog is better though and when I have the alimento I will report back, can't wait. Free range I heard is mostly looks and lacks some flavor.

brooks23

Reaction score
Bird N Hand on Fairfax was so f'ing good. One of the best chicken sandwiches I've ever had (even coming GA where we eat fried chicken 3 meals a day). I'm pissed they closed, although it was kind of hard to ever find them open even before they closed. I was talking to the lady that ran it one time though, and got the feeling their main focus was catering down the street at CBS and the restaurant was more of a side gig.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I had the Grilled Chicken 'N Brie sandwich at Joe's Cafe in Granada Hills, and it was amazing. An added bonus is that they serve Intelligentsia Coffee. Great little place:

http://www.joescafegh.com/index.html

Good intel, but I trust you're not under the impression that a grilled chicken sandwich has anything to do with a fried chicken sammie. :cheers:

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good intel, but I trust you're not under the impression that a grilled chicken sandwich has anything to do with a fried chicken sammie.
cheers.gif

No sir, I wouldn't dare make that mistake.

avera

Reaction score
Are there other shops in LA along similar lines to RRL, Tradesman, Self Edge, and Mr. Freedom? Are there any shops that carry The Real McCoy stuff? Or Velva Sheen?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Fried chicken sammich at plan check is pretty good, the ham on it is ******* excellent.

JL77

Reaction score

Are there other shops in LA along similar lines to RRL, Tradesman, Self Edge, and Mr. Freedom? Are there any shops that carry The Real McCoy stuff? Or Velva Sheen?

I don't think anyone carries Real McCoy's in LA though I've heard rumblings of them thinking about an LA flagship. Steven Alan has Velva Sheen.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was finally able to transfer back to LA. Office is in Westwood. Jeezus, a 2bedroom around the area is around 2700-3000

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pixelized