• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JL77

Reaction score
I thought zinc was awful. It's a nice space to have a meal in, but the waitstaff and food would prevent me from going back.

Reaction score
I thought zinc was awful. It's a nice space to have a meal in, but the waitstaff and food would prevent me from going back.

I didn't deal with waitstaff or the menu as I just went through the buffet line. But I thought it was a good meal for only $7.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for a dessert place? I enjoyed going to Ramekin but they closed just this past December.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any suggestions for a dessert place? I enjoyed going to Ramekin but they closed just this past December.

The Pie Hole, Churros Calientes, Sweet Lady Jane, Lady Chocolatt? Just a few off the top of my head. I've heard Pizzeria Mozza has great desserts as well, but I haven't been there myself.

Last edited:

jlchau

Reaction score
The Pie Hole, Churros Calientes, Sweet Lady Jane, Lady Chocolatt? Just a few off the top of my head. I've heard Pizzeria Mozza has great desserts as well, but I haven't been there myself.

@nyarkies

I went to Pie Hole (pretty good) today. Kid Nickels has good recs. Other options include MILK, Susina, Sweet Rose Creamery, Key Lime Pie at Fishing With Dynamite, Bread Pudding at Nook, Al Gelato, Cocos/Blockheads/Bsweet if you're near Sawtelle,

queensgambit

Reaction score
Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Hi all! Looking for two shopping recommendations:

1) A young/cool distressed / vintage leather shoe store (that's not Nordstrom / Bloomingdales). Anything that would sell items similar to  http://blog.hanigs.com/blog/image.axd?picture=2014/4/wodehouse_oxford_4050r.jpg --or-- http://i.stpost.com/john-varvatos-d...r-for-men-in-dark-brown~p~6168x_02~1500.2.jpg

2) Same as above but for leather jackets.

Thanks guys :)

I don't have any great suggestions off the top of my head, but to clarify -- are you looking for truly vintage/distressed shoes and jackets or items in a vintage/distressed style? Probably makes a difference in terms of where you should look.
You can get Varvatos all sorts of places, including, I'm sure, with that sort of style/finish. Maybe try Barney's? They have a decent shoe selection. I haven't been to Fred Segal in forever but am pretty sure there's a shoe place there.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@nyarkies
I went to Pie Hole (pretty good) today.  Kid Nickels has good recs.  Other options include MILK, Susina, Sweet Rose Creamery, Key Lime Pie at Fishing With Dynamite, Bread Pudding at Nook, Al Gelato, Cocos/Blockheads/Bsweet if you're near Sawtelle, 

Speaking of Sweet Rose Creamery, Salt & Straw on Larchmont and Carmela on W. 3rd. Or Scoops...quality is not up to par with the mentioned but they make up with it with wild flavors (similar: Coolhaus)

Bread Pudding at Masa of Echo Park. A lotta things at Semi-Sweet Bakery (and around the corner at Nickel Diner).

Milk is overrated IMO

AloysiusSF

Reaction score
Pazzo Gelato in Silverlake is quite good IMO -

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pazzo-gelato-los-angeles

Agree that Scoops quality is not on par with best gelatos in town, but wild flavors + very reasonable pricing make it worth a stop.

Jeni's (from Ohio, and the Ohioans I know attest to its legitness) just opened in Los Feliz - I live close by and always see a rather long line formed outside since opening a couple weeks ago - haven't tried yet...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jenis-splendid-ice-creams-los-angeles

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok boom now I definitely gotta chime in here! I was going to say to @nyarkies up there that in a couple weeks I have some family coming in and I'll probably make some rounds of local boutique ice cream joints I haven't tried yet. On that note I would say that Sweet Rose is over rated as well and given I'm from Ohio I have been to Jeni's in Columbus many times. Yes, the have really good ice cream and they tend toward crazy flavors such as ricotta, fig, walnut something or like lavender & honey, Thai peanut with chili powder … stuff like that. It is delicious, but as far as texture and mouth feel it is not as good as Graeter's from Cincinnati, Ohio.

Which is available at Ralph's, yes. However, the pints aren't always well temperature controlled so if the ice cream softens at all once its made the texture is ruined. I've had extensive talks with Graeter's corporate concerning the freezing issue of their ice cream here in LA. The guy George has semi-deputized me as a "consumer voice" in LA market because I'm such a Graeter's nut. I would still highly recommend it though as long as you squeeze the pint and it is literally rock hard and you can feel the lid is smooth to the surface of the ice cream underneath all the way to the top (no heat shock). If it checks out I would begin with either the Mocha Chocolate Chip or Black Raspberry Chip. If you like Coconut there are two flavors with and without chocolate but I don't always see them in LA. Anyway….

Srsly just go buy this **** and thank me later! :D

Of course if you want to be an asshole you can always go stand in line at Diddy Riese!

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I would still highly recommend it though as long as you squeeze the pint and it is literally rock hard and you can feel the lid is smooth to the surface of the ice cream underneath all the way to the top (no heat shock).

I felt kind of dirty after reading this.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coffee_and_vodka