• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The Official Cardigan Thread***

nickwills

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I just spent $350 on a prada cardigan and am not happy with the quality. So, I figured if I wasn't going to be happy with the quality, I might as well not spend a bunch of money on my next one.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
just spend wisely on your next one, something that has a good amount of quality for the price. no point in buying $20 garbage items, that money would be better spent on 5 straight nites of Panda Express

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know more or less what type of quality I'm getting out of J.Crew but how's the fit on their sweaters/cardigans?

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here are some that we feature. The First one is by MacHay made in 100% Merino Wool knitted in 50's style ski sweater knit, double slider YKK zipper w/ hand warmer pockets. Available in Black and Raisin Brown.
The second one is by Charles Bailey made in 50% Wool/ 50% Acrylic in a seed stitch, double slider zipper ( note zipper taping is exposed on one side ), cardigan pockets. Available in Grey/Brown melange.

This is a sampling of the many styles that we carry. Enjoy!

Gary

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's mighty impressive. I can see an early Don Draper wearing something like that. High-waisted pants though..lol. Don't mind me, I'm a teenager.
biggrin.gif

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Actually, the first outfit is entirely MacHay except for the belt. The shirt is a retro designed geometric and the pants are a flat front, short rise ( picture does not show this ) 100% Cotton Mole Skin. This collection is from Turkey, designed by two young, very talented guys. Keep your eyes out for them.

Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
That's mighty impressive. I can see an early Don Draper wearing something like that. High-waisted pants though..lol. Don't mind me, I'm a teenager.
biggrin.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
merino_wool_shawl_collar_cardigan_charcoal.jpg

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I know more or less what type of quality I'm getting out of J.Crew but how's the fit on their sweaters/cardigans?

Fairly true to size, imo.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Ha. Look what I posted above. Little did I know...

So, then, now, I post this to advise anyone considering this sweater, and with some regret: After finally pulling the trigger and overnight shipping the j. crew spencer jersey collar cardigan I've been lusting after for months, it arrives today and I find, lo and behold, it's like two sizes way too big. I'm a Large. I fit perfectly in other L tagged stuff from J. Crew, even a little snug (I'm about 185 at 6'1" and trim/medium-muscular build). This is like XXL from Eddie Bauer, I swear.

I'm so disappointed I'm not even re-ordering. Just shipping back for a refund. Thank God, returns "are easy," except for the shipping costs I'll have to swallow.

What gives with this? Anyway, frankly, the zip/button sort-of-military-looking black cardigan I purchased from BR earlier in the season is much nicer looking and fitting.

Thing is, still missing in my wardrobe is a more "classic" kind of shawl-collar cardigan. So... I might reorder this in a medium or small later in the season after it's on sale. Also, apparently because of this particular wool blend, it is very s t r e t c h y . . . . Like, if you wore even an appropriately sized version, it would stretch beyond reason.

The model photos look great. The reality--not so much. Certainly not worth 150 bucks plus shipping, in my estimation.

Rant over. Please forgive "the tone."

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the concensus on Viridi-anne, I plan on picking up one soon along with one from Mr. Olive...

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EdenResident

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
The model photos look great. The reality--not so much. Certainly not worth 150 bucks plus shipping, in my estimation.

Rant over. Please forgive "the tone."

JCrew is notorious for modifying their garments (either through tailoring or pinning in the back) to make them fit on their models. The real life stuff usually fits nothing like it does in photos.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
756363-rescaledpic-420x630.png

Saw some Arne & Carlos knits in person today. Really nice (and crazy) stuff, I'd wear a few of them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads