• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Gurty

Reaction score
PSA - I just received an email from The Shoe Mart saying they'll be setting up an Alden Fan Facebook page and to send an email to [email protected] if you'd like an invite. I did but have yet to get anything back.

BFisher244

Reaction score
Thanks guys, the finish of the shell on this pair is far superior to any other pairs so I did not want to let them go. They are as smooth as glass.

Here is an outtake pic from yesterday showing the color difference a bit more. The darker pair is in my window at home now and will be there until I feel they are a bit closer in color, hopefully it will not take long so I can check back in showing off the better match.

I'm a bit fascinated by the fading of color 8 that have been left in the sun. It would be amazing to see some time lapse pics.

breck81

Reaction score
PSA - I just received an email from The Shoe Mart saying they'll be setting up an Alden Fan Facebook page and to send an email to [email protected] if you'd like an invite. I did but have yet to get anything back.
Its already up and running. They should respond shortly.

breck81

Reaction score
Thanks guys, the finish of the shell on this pair is far superior to any other pairs so I did not want to let them go. They are as smooth as glass.

Here is an outtake pic from yesterday showing the color difference a bit more. The darker pair is in my window at home now and will be there until I feel they are a bit closer in color, hopefully it will not take long so I can check back in showing off the better match.

Yeah its amazing how many different shades the same pair of shoe can look depending on the light. Here are my Ravello LWB from last years DC. In the first two they seem fairly uniform. In the third the color difference is quite noticeable. All part of the charm and beauty of shell.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah its amazing how many different shades the same pair of shoe can look depending on the light. Here are my Ravello LWB from last years DC. In the first two they seem fairly uniform. In the third the color difference is quite noticeable. All part of the charm and beauty of shell.

Cordovan is so interesting, no wonder we all love it. Such a great leather.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys, the finish of the shell on this pair is far superior to any other pairs so I did not want to let them go. They are as smooth as glass. Here is an outtake pic from yesterday showing the color difference a bit more. The darker pair is in my window at home now and will be there until I feel they are a bit closer in color, hopefully it will not take long so I can check back in showing off the better match.
My not-display-model first quality #8 chukkas are more different. Those were purchased in person at Alden SF after looking at their entire stock in my size and picking the best pair. The color of shell actually varies depending on the angle you look at it. Only the most expensive makers bother to cut their patterns in a way to minimize this difference. I wouldn't be surprised if they matched perfectly after turning one shoe 90 degrees.

rosslovethreads

Reaction score

what laces do you guys put on your 403s? The stock cotton ones on mine are starting to split.

+100
The laces Alden includes with its cordovan and classier models dresses up the standard Indy. It really makes it look a ton better.

Edit: my indys have more color variation than his shells, but these are seconds and I don't particularly care.

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My not-display-model first quality #8 chukkas are more different. Those were purchased in person at Alden SF after looking at their entire stock in my size and picking the best pair. The color of shell actually varies depending on the angle you look at it. Only the most expensive makers bother to cut their patterns in a way to minimize this difference. I wouldn't be surprised if they matched perfectly after turning one shoe 90 degrees.

I totally understand clicking issues and companies not lasting them in the same direction causing the color variation seen on the wing of Brecks pair, mine pair however has indeed changed color from light exposure. They have the same color tone differences no matter what way you look at them. In fact, they even have original dark shell under the laces by the eyelets where the exposure did not lighten. They will even out with time but I am ok with speeding up that process with some direct sunlight. Very happy with them.

I have some saphir brown cordovan cream (which is very eggplant colored and a fantastic #8 match) that I may use to help even them out, not a fan of colored polishes on my shell so that probably wont happen lol.

For reference on the lightening process, my AE Leeds. My best time lapse of them in their current state down to brand new. I decided to do this last year after falling in love with the Alden Dover and a desire to turn the Leeds into a casual shell winter shoe.

Last edited:

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ErikW

Reaction score
Anyone have any photos of what Alpine Grain shoes/boots look like after some wear?

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the import tax like? have you ever ordered it from TSM

I just paid UPS $200 for my Whiskey WTB from Alden Madison. The Ravello NST boot I had TSM ship to CBI in Niagara Falls and paid about $130 for them when I brought them over. Was much better a year ago when our dollar was at par with the USD.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who has some on the foot pics of the unlined Tan penny loafer?

I have long debated between the snuff for summer but I like the lighter edge of the Tan. I am also confused by comments on tighter fit, my whiskey LHS is pretty snug already. Would the suede not stretch out to be as comfortable or does everyone really size up in the unlined versions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads