• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, I have a feeling that's true.  I think the reason that I haven't been bitten by it yet is due to the lack of black shell with antique edge.  There are some amazing looking Viberg's that were posted a few weeks back when this topic came up in here.  If someone makes a natural color welt/edge trim, that's where the trouble will really begin!
[/quote]

alden does not make black shell with antique edge any more.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any shots in sunlight?  How was the maiden voyage?

Unfortunately I don't see sunlight during this season. It's dark when I leave for work and when I return. Maiden voyage was great though. I had worn my Brixtons the day before and my feet just likes the feel of commando boots so much better.

Dirty Gurty

Reaction score
Do you guys find black shell hard to wear with everyday business casual-type stuff. And I mean that one the more casual side of casual. I think a makeup in the Indy boot with commando sole and speedhooks would be a pretty boss winter boot. Contemplating either that or the No. 8 chukka for my first shell purchase.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys find black shell hard to wear with everyday business casual-type stuff. And I mean that one the more casual side of casual. I think a makeup in the Indy boot with commando sole and speedhooks would be a pretty boss winter boot. Contemplating either that or the No. 8 chukka for my first shell purchase.

I wear black shell with black, grey, olive and burgundy chino/khaki/cords

tampatravel

Reaction score

Do you guys find black shell hard to wear with everyday business casual-type stuff. And I mean that one the more casual side of casual. I think a makeup in the Indy boot with commando sole and speedhooks would be a pretty boss winter boot. Contemplating either that or the No. 8 chukka for my first shell purchase.

I wear black shell with black, grey, olive and burgundy chino/khaki/cords

I do the same as @Kahuna75!

I think a lot of us forget how awesome black shell looks. Yes, it's nice to get a spotted unicorn (whiskey ravello etc...) one in a while, but my black shells are the shoes I get the most complements on invariably.

Plus, if you wear a colored lace in a black shell boot/PTB/LWB it will make the footwear pop even more IMO

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Given what you've described, I really think it's a matter of which boot appeals to you more. I have the No. 8 chukka and it is one of my more versatile shoes. I wear it casual up to the high-end of business casual. Since most Alden boots are inherently casual, the black boot you describe would likely work fine for business casual. While it may not be quite as versatile as the chukka, it is really a great looking boot. I don't own much black she'll but it is definitely on my short list.

WorldWideWafflz

Reaction score
I have some black shell boots. They're awesome but they are tricky to wear since they're totally inappropriate with the greys and blues that go with dressier black shoes but look loke crap with more casual brown and khaki colors. Green pants are the best combo--a little bit of subtle military influence, which looks good with shiny black boots. Colored pants work too as long as they're not too light, then the boots stick out like a sore thumb or gaudy party piece, which is textbood bad style.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife tripped over and stepped on my Tankers this morning on her way out (my fault though for leaving them in the middle of the entry lol) and creased the shaft on them. I had a mini heart attack though when I saw them and now I will have to go on a brushing spree on them to see if I can minimize the creases. Such interesting issues to have, I suppose that means I am very blessed :)

zentraedi

Reaction score
Hey guys I just bought my first pair of Aldens, however I notice that there is quite a large crack at the stitching of the sole, is this normal? Any help would be great!

thams

Reaction score
Day Trippers are finally in!!!! Shipping out on Monday - hope to get them mid-week. Apparently the color is a mid-brown. Not too light, but not too dark. Excited to see them finally (hoping for the DC boot color).

z8k1n

Reaction score
after 3rd wear of these Ravello boots, unlined/can't be more comfortable.. super happy I pulled the trigger.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Hey guys I just bought my first pair of Aldens, however I notice that there is quite a large crack at the stitching of the sole, is this normal? Any help would be great!
My friend, welcome to the thread!!! Those are some mighty fine and formal shoes. That mark is where they started and stopped making the welt. There is usually a noticeable mark where they did it, sometimes it is more exaggerated than others. It should not have an ill effect on the shoes performance. They also always do it in the inside of the shoes, so it is less noticeable to others. -Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads