• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about mahogany? Although not currently available, wouldn't that also fit the description?
mahogany appears to work also..

not a fan of this offering below, but the color works for me..

is this color completely done by alden?

str1185

Reaction score

Just came in today! My first pair of Alden shell cordovan. The Cigar Indy boot! I just wanted to share and thank you guys on the forum for posting such great info. These fit great, and look amazing.

Wish list:
Ravello cap toe boot
Whiskey longwings

I know I'm looking for unicorns, but if anyone spots them please send me a pm. I hope you all have a nice week.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
There are intriguing from the Pelle Line site:

Any thought about what last they are on? I may call tomorrow to ask about them.

The smart money says Plaza. The shape of the shoe is quite similar to the Alden for BB WT Bal on the M-75 last (like plaza).

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
researching now, thanks for the lead!

pretty much exactly what I'm thinking of, although Rider pricing is kinda steep for me lol

thanks everyone!
I think Alden buys all those hides in such large volumes, they don't have to charge as much for it. I usually stick to Alden for my cordovan needs.

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm, as I think of the spectrum of shell cordovan, nothing comes to mind that fits this parameter.  I'm interested to hear suggestions as well.

Always hard to judge color, but I'd suggest having a look at Carmina's cognac shell.

Was going to say this ^^ Carmina's Cognac should fit what you're looking for.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if not alden, is there another retailer that offers more of a "medium brown" shell shoe/boot? not quite as dark as cigar, not quite as reddish as ravello?

Some pairs of the Ralph Lauren Marlow line can have a mid brown color

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just came in today! My first pair of Alden shell cordovan. The Cigar Indy boot! I just wanted to share and thank you guys on the forum for posting such great info. These fit great, and look amazing.
Wish list:
Ravello cap toe boot
Whiskey longwings
I know I'm looking for unicorns, but if anyone spots them please send me a pm. I hope you all have a nice week.

Str - welcome and congrats! Great looking indys!

MickCollins1916

Reaction score

nephew,
wear in good health

Thanks, Uncle. Absolutely perfect first spin in them. Love the Grant last!

nephew,
ravello tassels

Nice tassels, enjoy them, Uncle!

Wish list:
Ravello cap toe boot
Whiskey longwings

Looking good in cigar, welcome and enjoy!

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
I didn't want to post about this until I had some results to report, but now that I do...

I have complained ad nauseam about how poorly LHS have fit me over the years, but that I have kept trying them. Seems silly, but they LOOK so comfortable that I keep getting suckered in. My last foray into that shoe led me to buy a ravello pair and employ a vamp raiser. Close, but no dice, had to sell them.

However, emboldened by the purchase of the vamp raiser - and the receipt of several gift cards, and the ability to employ my corporate discount, making them (relatively) cheap - I bought a pair of the Brooks unlined LHS in #8. Yes, I am stubborn as hell.

I used the Mac method to break them in, and slowly stretched the vamp using said vamp raiser (and generously applied stretching fluid)...with fantastic results! I love them. Super comfortable, and they've gotten moreso with each subsequent wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics