• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldenwear

Reaction score
Thank you Prez, I googled 2170 Y and I found more images http://www.manifestcreations.net/goods/20140810083752-2309.html

Not that at this point it is of capital importance, but for the sake of completeness - although you are probably right - I confess I am not 100% (only 90%
smile.gif
) convinced that it's the Barrie last. I mean, yes the welt is surely larger but the upper looks just the same of the 2160 Aberdeen, just put on a differently shaped welt. Shouldn't the last be something concerning the shape of the upper (so basically the inner part) and not of the sole/welt?

Those shoes are either barrie last or might even be trublance. It is not at all the model 2160 shoe.

aldenwear

Reaction score
You mentioned a three month wait, are these the Alden x J.Crew shell boots?

This is a bit shady, but why not just buy new boots from J.Crew and swap the old boots with the new ones and return them? They go back to Alden in the end, anyway.A
A bit shady? Like being a bit pregnant. It is dishonest.

Last edited:

aldenwear

Reaction score

Color 8 Indy on the Plaza. Sorry, I know a lot of you object to calling it an Indy, but I don't like typing on my iPad that much... :)

'Twas their second voyage out. First to the office...
What a great looking boot. Amazing how much difference the lasts makes: the Indy boot on trublance is more casual; the same mocc stitching on plaza last makes it look much more dressy and elegant.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
A bit shady? Like being a bit pregnant. It is dishonest.
It's dishonest, but it's the same result as if he returned it in the first place. Alden gets the boot back, a boot that should have never gone out of the factory, and J.Crew is reimbursed. If we keep accepting these seconds-quality pairs from Alden, their quality control will only continue to decline.

aldenwear

Reaction score

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score

respectfully, I don't agree with whomever might have said that. I have plenty of pairs, bought all within the last 2+ yrs or so, that should be looked at at first quality. 

I feel some people take advantage of that fact that these are handmade for the most part, of raw materials.. things are bound to happen

I respect your opinion, but merely want to clarify one of Alden's selling points. They stress the fact that their shoes are handmade. Despite common thought, all shoes, whether they be $15 Payless shoes or $1,300 Edward Greens, are "handmade." Further, handmade does not mean handstiched, which is much more rare.

There is no magic machine to churn out shoes. So, whether your shoes are being produced by a factory worker in China or America, they are handmade. Yes, those cheaper shoes may have irregularities too due to their "handmade" process, but even cheaper shoes do not try and sell them as firsts. The entire Factory Outlet model is predicated on seconds and products that do not sell well. The issue here is that Alden is far more likely to pass irregular shoes as firsts, which we all know deep down is not acceptable at this price point. This is exacerbated by the fact that we are not typically buying their boots for carpentry or "hard work" industries, but for their aesthetic and workmanship.

mikej77

Reaction score
Randomly grabbed a pair of the Alden J-Crew Indys off eBay recently. I like them but I'm not sure if the last is for me so I haven't decided if I am going to keep or sell.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Randomly grabbed a pair of the Alden J-Crew Indys off eBay recently. I like them but I'm not sure if the last is for me so I haven't decided if I am going to keep or sell.

Do you dislike the last because of its appearance or the fit? In my opinion, the TruBalance last is kind of ugly out of the box, but once it's broken, it looks much better. New product shots of the Indy boot is definitely not what sold me on my pair.

Last edited:

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, the TruBalance last is kind of ugly out of the box, but once it's broken, it looks much better. New product shots of the Indy boot is definitely not what sold me on my pair.
I would agree with this statement, and I think it applies to many lasts and styles beyond the truebalance or even Alden. I didn't really care for the out of the box look of my modified last v-tips but once they were worn a bit I think they look great. I'm curious if others feel the same way?

dusttruffle

Reaction score
Something I have been wondering for a while, is what makes the indy "orthopaedic"; I realise that this might be orthopaedic in an old fashioned way, but is it just the heal on the non shell Indys, or is it something particular about the last shape? I wonder because

a) if it is/was just the pronation support heel piece then the double leather sole Indys are non-orthopaedic

b) my shell Indys w/commando really are the most comfortable shoes or boots I have ever owned, suggesting that perhaps the boot last is particularly supportive.

Looking at a TB and a Barrie boot from above, there are aspects to the shape (most easily seen by the offset lacing) that suggest to me that the last itself is "orthopaedic".

I hope there are some amongst you who can educate me about this.

mikej77

Reaction score
I actually like the look of the last and having a wide foot it definitely suits me. I am typically a 9.5E is most of my Allen Edmonds and grabbed these boots in a 9D. They are slightly tight so I'm not sure if I will keep or sell and purchase these in a 9.5. One more shot for good measure.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Something I have been wondering for a while, is what makes the indy "orthopaedic"; I realise that this might be orthopaedic in an old fashioned way, but is it just the heal on the non shell Indys, or is it something particular about the last shape? I wonder because

a) if it is/was just the pronation support heel piece then the double leather sole Indys are non-orthopaedic

b) my shell Indys w/commando really are the most comfortable shoes or boots I have ever owned, suggesting that perhaps the boot last is particularly supportive.

Looking at a TB and a Barrie boot from above, there are aspects to the shape (most easily seen by the offset lacing) that suggest to me that the last itself is "orthopaedic".

I hope there are some amongst you who can educate me about this.
I think it's due to the use of a combination last. I think Alden also claims that the cork footbed and steel shank contribute to it, but the former is just filler material that happens to mold to your foot, and the steel shank doesn't seem hugely different from when beech wood is used, like with the Jermyn Street shoemakers.

Last edited:

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like the look of the last and having a wide foot it definitely suits me. I am typically a 9.5E is most of my Allen Edmonds and grabbed these boots in a 9D. They are slightly tight so I'm not sure if I will keep or sell and purchase these in a 9.5. One more shot for good measure.

the red brick sole is polarizing. looks like a mark mcnairy boot IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads