• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah, Jim is great.
the whole staff there is pretty awesome.
I once bought a pair of wingtip boots from alden nyc which they told me repeatedly was on the grant last. not long after, i went back to talk about the fit and they told me they were they had been misinformed by the factory and they are on the barrie.

I have no doubt this could happen - and did happen. And my deference to Jim in this instance has more to do with Jim (and my previous dealings with him) than it does that he happened to work at the retailer who is selling the model in question. Certain Alden retailers - e.g., Brooks Brothers - have SA's that have no clue about Alden shoes , to say nothing of Alden lasts. One time I had a Brooks Brothers SA insist that the model (which I knew to be Alden) we were discussing was made in England. At that point I knew the discussion had to stop. :D

Profligate47

Reaction score

Hey gents,
I'm an avid Barrie last guy with the hopes of transitioning into a Plaza last shoe... I'm normally a 10.5D and have done a little research and found that I may have to size up to 11D in the Plaza, is this the norm for most? I hope I can pull off Plaza, seems narrow as hell.

You are correct. I am a 10.5D Aberdeen Barrie Tremont Van, but went with an 11D for the Plaza Kudu from J. Gilbert. Very pleased with the fit. Good luck!

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ravello LHS

nephew,
looking well in ravello lhs

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
24zer76.jpg

l8oed.jpg

cigar wt boot
argyles otc

Last edited:

plato

Reaction score
Wanted to say, like another guy a few pages back, that I appreciate this forum and have learned a lot from reading this thread. By way of thanks, I offer a story and pictures.

Imagine this: you find a great cordovan makeup in a rare color that matches just what you have in mind. It happens to be an old makeup from a shop known on here, so it's not still available, having been long sold out. The website says there's another order for the coming year, so you decide to go to the store and put down some savings (think graduate student income) as a deposit to hold a pair in your size from the pre-order. You go, the people at the shop are nice and helpful, and you reserve a pair of the cordovan shoes. Things are going pretty well, and it's just a matter of the waiting game.

Now comes the twist in the tale. A little more than a month after putting down the deposit, you get an email from the shop saying that one stray pair, which was being held for a particular customer from the last order of the same shoe, has been released, since the other customer changed his mind and said he didn't want it. The pair is your size, and the shop offers it to you, if you just pay the balance minus your deposit.

These are the shoes (which also demonstrate the variation in color of Ravello when photographed in different light, with or without flash):

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wanted to say, like another guy a few pages back, that I appreciate this forum and have learned a lot from reading this thread. By way of thanks, I offer a story and pictures.

Imagine this: you find a great cordovan makeup in a rare color that matches just what you have in mind. It happens to be an old makeup from a shop known on here, so it's not still available, having been long sold out. The website says there's another order for the coming year, so you decide to go to the store and put down some savings (think graduate student income) as a deposit to hold a pair in your size from the pre-order. You go, the people at the shop are nice and helpful, and you reserve a pair of the cordovan shoes. Things are going pretty well, and it's just a matter of the waiting game.

Now comes the twist in the tale. A little more than a month after putting down the deposit, you get an email from the shop saying that one stray pair, which was being held for a particular customer from the last order of the same shoe, has been released, since the other customer changed his mind and said he didn't want it. The pair is your size, and the shop offers it to you, if you just pay the balance minus your deposit. 

These are the shoes (which also demonstrate the variation in color of Ravello when photographed in different light, with or without flash):

The Ravello ptb. One of my favorites - exquisitely simple.

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score

Congrats brother, incredible shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads