1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official 2012 London Olympics Backlash Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Douglas, Jun 28, 2012.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I was kind of hoping we'd send out a second-string center as a "goon squad" and put an elbow to #10's face in retaliation for his nut punch to Melo in the past game.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Tennis? Basketball?

The rhythmic events have the multiple problems of being A) not athletic B) hugely subjective in judging. Synchronized diving is just weird but at least it's athletic. I don't see that problem for badminton and table tennis, it's just that in the US we don't view them as "serious" sports. Not the case elsewhere, so they fit as well as any of the game type events.

3. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Table tennis is great. They will never take that out. At least I hope not.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The AZN's are as serious about table tennis and badminton as we are about football and baseball

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Should I Google Image Search "german german chocolate"?

8. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

That is exactly something you should do.

9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I was VERY impressed with the Japanese Women Soccer Team and it's too bad that they had to play the U.S. because their level of play was excellent and, in my inexperienced opinion, compared to the U.S. team was better than what the final score indicated.

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Granted, I have been watching the games through the filter of U.S. coverage but I have really appreciated and enjoyed how the women winners' exhibited a quality of graciousness and joy that I just don't see as much with the men.

11. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

I feel for Uceny, but I would have liked to have seen her get up and finish the race.

The crowd at the London stadium seems pretty knowledgeable, I think she would have received a nice ovation.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Yeah, that was really tough to watch.

13. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Modern pentathlon today. my favorite weird olympic event. Watch it, because it might be the last one.

14. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    Yanks ain't the only ones geographically challenged.

From london2012.com, the official site of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

[​IMG]

15. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

My favorite too. But I'm stuck with rhythmic gymnastics. Ribbons, hula hoops, and crotch shots. The entire event is hide the camel toe.

16. edmorel

Yeah, she was right in the mix and could have caught up to the pack and finished the race. Instead the second she fell she gave up and started crying and whining. It sucked and sometimes sports have a way of punching you in the face but you just can't give up like that. Not on a worldwide stage.

17. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

18. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

If it was a first or second lap fall, maybe. Last lap in a kicker's race - I don't think she would have caught anyone. The race started slow just so everyone would have fresh legs at the end - which even then it didn't work out so well for some of them. But I think Uceny had the Win or go home mentality - and crumbled when she fell.

Not everyone can be Lasse Viren - but even then he fell in a 5,000 (iirc) and had plenty of time to reel everyone in. But he was phenomenal.

19. edmorel

To me, it wasn't about catching up to anyone, it was about simply finishing the race and honoring your commitment to the US Olympic team. The thing about sports that you're always teaching kids is never give up, went you get knocked down get back up and always be a gracious loser/winner. If she has kids and they stumble in some sporting event and give up, what does she tell them?

20. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I love her, but it's hard to call anyone but Usain Bolt the best all around sprinter right now.