• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official 2008 MLB Thread

mrpologuy

Reaction score
Spring training is here and it is time to start talking and thinking baseball. I am tired of the roids talk and ready to see some games. I will be at a few Tigers games this year. Tix were hard to get this season and every game is almost sold out already. 40,000 or more at every game will be a great atmosphere for the team to be around. I think we have what it takes to contend again this year. The addition of Cabrera, Willis and Renteria was nice. We have a potent lineup again this year and will score a ton of runs. Pitching is our problem. We have no bullpen at all. Joel Zumaya hurt himself moving boxes during the California fires last year and won't be rady till well into the second half. Todd Jones is a shaky closer at best. I think the Tigers beat the Bosox int he ALCS to go to the Series. I can't stand Boston now. They go 86 years without winning a title and then they win 2 and think their the best team ever. The Yankees suck as well. Hank Steinbrenner talks crap all the time even though his team tanks in the playoffs. I joined a fantasy league on MLB and have the first pick in my group and willt ake Arod with that pick. I think the Dodgers will surprise some teams this year and make the playoffs. I like Verlander as the AL Cy Young Winner. I hope Prince Fielder has a big season. I think the Rockies will disappoint a lot of fans this year as will the Phillies. I think Atlanta will be back in contention this year. The Cubs will not win it this year. i think that makes it 100 years for them with no title. These are jsut random thoughts on te season to come. Add yours and I am sure it will be a great season. This will be our MLB discussion thread.

finch

Reaction score
I guess I have the pleasure of my blue birds (Jays) attempting to sell year seven I think it is now of their five year plan to compete. Even if we stay healthy which seem to be the curse of late, Roy Halladay aside I still think we're weak on pitching. Should be interesting but Boston appears to be in the midst of a dynasty which seems unstoppable at the moment.

jeskali

Reaction score
The yankees suck? Still one of the best hitting lineups in baseball with the addition of 3 insanely good young arms and a revamped bullpen that should be killer this year. Tigers look good on paper, but as the Yanks can surely attest, that means nothing. Saying that the Yanks tank in the playoffs is like saying the Patriots are choke artists. The Tigers had a hot year a few yrs ago and then got shelled in the WS by a lousy Cardinals team because your pitching staff was tighter than SRV's E string. Net Net, Boston, Yankees, Detroit, Cleveland and Anaheim all have a good shot to win it in the AL this year. In the NL, the Mets, Diamondbacks, Rockies, and maybe the Phillies or Dodgers have a shot to be the WS loser.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about MLB, but I would like to follow the Phillies this season.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a Giants fan and am very much looking forward to participating in the official 2011 MLB thread.

brimley

Reaction score

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It should be an entertaining year to be a baseball fan in New York. There are some awful teams in our divisions, but it certainly shouldn't be a cakewalk for either the Yankees or Mets. And my Cubs make a run for a century of futility. A part of me wants them to lose. They have not been much fun lately, despite fielding some decent teams.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cubs will be better than you think, and both the Mets and Yankees are going to have more trouble in their divisions than you would think. The Phillies and Braves are going to challenge in the NL East, and only Baltimore is a free pass in the AL East. Toronto and Tampa have closed the gap, and I like the proposition that Tampa will have a winning record against either the Yankees or the Sox.

jeskali

Reaction score
L East is prob the best division in baseball with the Yanks and Bosox great as usual but the Bluejays and Devilrays or Rays as they are now called markedly better. Baltimore is all rookies, but they have some pitching so it will be an interesting year. Wud like to see Liriano rebound.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
I am a Giants fan and am very much looking forward to participating in the official 2011 MLB thread.
As a Dodgers fan, you have no idea how great it is to read that. Still, I'm curious to see what Rowand can do for them. He sure as hell didn't hurt the Phillies during his stint.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brew Crew fan here, I'm looking forward to them making a run at their division, and a return to the post season. Hopefully I can make it over to Houston in May to catch a weekend series.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
I do like the Brewers. I hope Prince has a huge year for you guys. You guys got a good shot at making the playoffs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads