• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Men of StyleForum

Con Biz Dresser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Do you know what the wink emoticon is used for?

I don't feel that saying something rude in real life with a smile or wink makes it excusable and don't think the internet should be any different.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the OP that a big thanks is in order. My clothes have gone from sh*tty to something that would actually be considered acceptable thanks to you guys. And I finally know what the hell Sartoriale is.

Thanks again guys, I hope to remain a good poster here at the SF.

JB

Reaction score
my mother wears combat boots
plain.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Biz Dresser
I don’t feel that saying something rude in real life with a smile or wink makes it excusable and don’t think the internet should be any different.

Did you write this book?

http://www.amazon.com/Common-Things-.../dp/0375407081

If not, you should buy it. You will love it. Lots of useful material for staying in character (not that you appear to need a lot of help ...).

Con Biz Dresser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Did you write this book?

If not, you should buy it. You will love it. Lots of useful material for staying in character (not that you appear to need a lot of help ...).

Thanks for the compliment but I haven't written a book yet and don't really think that you could learn a lot about how to judge a person's character from one; in my opinion it's a matter of instinct. Although on the internet I do find it more difficult.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrpologuy
I realize now it was a bad title for a thread. Thanks for trashing what should have been a nice tribute to all of us.

Well, that's appropriate in a way, no?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
i thought that was the "stroke" emoticon, used to indicate a cerebrovascular accident
We need the other kind of "stroke" emoticon for some posts.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungFogey
That book was frickin' unreadable. Wonder what happened to him. Probably works for Skadden now.

Close. He's a law professer at Duke.

YoungFogey

Reaction score
What was so painful about the book was that he started with a good premise. The pre- 9/11 world was awash with cynical irony which was veering very close to nihilism. The problem with Purdy (other than his leaden prose) was that in his mind a rejection of irony led inevitably to the embrace of left wing politics and big government.

I like his guns better.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungFogey
What was so painful about the book was that he started with a good premise. The pre- 9/11 world was awash with cynical irony which was veering very close to nihilism. The problem with Purdy (other than his leaden prose) was that in his mind a rejection of irony led inevitably to the embrace of left wing politics and big government.

I was more put off by the fact that he found any form of joking to be not merely immoral, but just about the worst thing a person can do. Which is why I think the K-man would find the book right up his alley.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love the first Amazon review of the book:

Jedediah Purdy is something Jefferson could never have foreseen: an oligarch in peasant's clothing, the son of upper-class hippies who moved to West Virginia in 1974, just in time to give birth to Jed, whom they bred as a weapon. They knew if their boy-weapon was to be effective, it couldn't be born in their native haunts--Beacon Hill, New Haven, Martha's Vineyard--so they sped south to the deepest, most wretched corner of Appalachia as this bucolic Damien's hour approached. Jed's mother was probably barking like a seal in her tenth hour of labor when their VW van zoomed through Trenton on the Interstate, with her hirsute spouse screaming at her, "God damn it, maintain! Maintain! You want the little brat to be born in New Jersey, for Christ's sake?"
And Jed's mom, Spartan woman, clenched her teeth and legs and relaxed only when the van screeched over the river into West Virginia; then Jed came forth in a stream of long-pent folly and lies. They named the boy "Jedediah" so that it would be clear he was a son of the hard West Virginia earth, a real son of toil. Which of course he isn't. He is a poorly-constructed golem, magicked of dirtclods and coal tailings to fight his parents' lost battle. They raised the creature on a farm, no doubt purchased with the dividends of their discreet trust funds, and began pursuing their quaint, economically absurd agriculture: Ivy-League oligarchs plowing with horses and giving every goat a quaint name before they home-butchered it.

They raised Jedediah without TV, without movies, without pop music--without a single link to the glorious cascade of our culture in its finest years. And he's proud of it! He boasts about not knowing anything of the culture in which he was born, and from which his parents kept him til he was too old to help! These people should be arrested for child abuse!

Jed's own account innocently reveals his parents' gross hypocrisy. He tells us that his mother joined the local West Virginia school board, an example of grassroots political involvement he holds up as an example for us all. In the same breath, and without the least indication of embarrassment, he tells us that he did not attend the public schools his mother was serving: "Our parents taught my younger sister and me at home." And at fourteen, after this careful homeschooling, Jedediah (full name: "J. Cabot Getty-Dupont Purdy") went off to school.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads