• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

dopeman

Reaction score
It's very MH style - boxy / anti-fit . More 90's than 80's MrK . I saw them yesterday in FP store - very nice quality . Oversized neck,though collar is good, and longer, wider sleeves.
You couldn't wear with slimmer, more fitted trousers/shorts etc . Definitely a more current look a la Universal Works, Folk, YMC, Garbstore etc suited to fatigues or pleated, tapered trousers.
A look I happen to like as I did in the late 80's and 90's before the slimmer mod look came back .

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Just had a look.

What about the oversized polo shirt? More reminiscent of 1980’s style? I guess that would be the MH heritage.

I couldn’t see where the stuff is made?

Just passed by the FP shop…

FPxMH.jpg

Looks like really nice stuff...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
It's very MH style - boxy / anti-fit . More 90's than 80's MrK . I saw them yesterday in FP store - very nice quality . Oversized neck,though collar is good, and longer, wider sleeves.
You couldn't wear with slimmer, more fitted trousers/shorts etc . Definitely a more current look a la Universal Works, Folk, YMC, Garbstore etc suited to fatigues or pleated, tapered trousers.
A look I happen to like as I did in the late 80's and 90's before the slimmer mod look came back .

I would say even more late 30s than 80s or 90s.
In Margaret Howell own words : 'Photographs of Fred Perry himself in action on the tennis court were inspirational in themselves, and together with the original polo shirt from the archive, suggested light, fluid fabrics - clothes with ample ease for movement (…) The loose fitting still seemed right for today.'

I tried one in the shop. The quality/material is standard for MiPortugal FP polos. I see no difference with a couple i have.
The fit is a bit special. Not too wide in the body, but the collar is huge and the sleeves very long. Otherwise seems TTS. Here is a quick snapshot :

FPM_opt.jpg

Lovely skin girls working in the parisian shop, at least three different are working there, each time i go there a nice surprise. And The beat playing loud… hands off she's mine !

So the Fred Perry laurel leaf was originally green, now that rings a bell - Fred Perrys as actual tennis shirts.

The logo seems tonal on the white one, on the black one it could be a very dark green, but i'm not sure.
According to Margaret Howell, again : 'We kept the original Laurel Wreath logo but in our collection of black and white pieces, we kept it self-coloured instead of the original green'.
Anyway, the logo is very thin, very nice, tonal, discreet, lovely. This polo has a kind of minimalist approach that i like, and you will probably like it to Cov.
I find it expensive though, now if it's in the summer sales…
According to the skingirl, you can find the capsule collab collection in the Margaret Howell shops too.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. I’m on the road till Thursday but will think about a spring jacket entry. Loads of options but currently leaning towards a FP tennis bomber.

2. Prices are ridiculous for a polo and I prefer a more fitted cut. Love the idea of retro influence etc but I think I’ll pass on these. Never heard of MH anyway so don’t care about her hype. It’s a solid polo shirt, how complicated can it be?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say even more late 30s than 80s or 90s.
In Margaret Howell own words : 'Photographs of Fred Perry himself in action on the tennis court were inspirational in themselves, and together with the original polo shirt from the archive, suggested light, fluid fabrics - clothes with ample ease for movement (…) The loose fitting still seemed right for today.'

I tried one in the shop. The quality/material is standard for MiPortugal FP polos. I see no difference with a couple i have.
The fit is a bit special. Not too wide in the body, but the collar is huge and the sleeves very long. Otherwise seems TTS. Here is a quick snapshot :

View attachment 1179134

Lovely skin girls working in the parisian shop, at least three different are working there, each time i go there a nice surprise. And The beat playing loud… hands off she's mine !

The logo seems tonal on the white one, on the black one it could be a very dark green, but i'm not sure.
According to Margaret Howell, again : 'We kept the original Laurel Wreath logo but in our collection of black and white pieces, we kept it self-coloured instead of the original green'.
Anyway, the logo is very thin, very nice, tonal, discreet, lovely. This polo has a kind of minimalist approach that i like, and you will probably like it to Cov.
I find it expensive though, now if it's in the summer sales…
According to the skingirl, you can find the capsule collab collection in the Margaret Howell shops too.

Still hanging out in Cyprus, but may get a chance to enter the extended Challenge.

I do like the look of the MH polo on you, Inspector.

Mrs K may be persuaded to buy me one for my birthday.

In the 1980s or perhaps even late 70s Margaret Howell first came to my notice when I read an article about her approach in Vogue. How she had been inspired at an early age by simple, honest pieces of kit including her dad’s old raincoat hanging on the hook on the back door.

As I said earlier, although I have admired her work, I have never got round to buying any of her stuff but I may start now...

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just posted this on the Friday challenge, Daks Pea coat, White 501s and Marine Clarks Dessies. First time on the challenge, and looks at bit posy.

IMG_7398.JPG

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Just posted this on the Friday challenge, Daks Pea coat, White 501s and Marine Clarks Dessies. First time on the challenge, and looks at bit posy.

View attachment 1180266

Not bad mate, now like would say @Roycru, you should get out sometimes to take the pictures, so we can be sure you wear your outfits outside.

Some good entries in the FC, and a few excellent by the usual suspects...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
197DFADD-C103-40DA-AA5E-E9A5515DFF2E.jpeg Yes, we’ve had some lively discussions about that point @Clouseau !

I wish I could join in the FC but shall probably run out of time.

In the meantime I am trying to maintain some semblance of The Look here in the eastern Mediterranean. On Monday we crossed the ‘green line ‘ in Nicosia.

FP made in Italy
Nudie jeans
Diesel belt
Castaner leather espadrilles

Last edited:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bad mate, now like would say @Roycru, you should get out sometimes to take the pictures, so we can be sure you wear your outfits outside.

Some good entries in the FC, and a few excellent by the usual suspects...
Who's going to take the photo, a casual passerby?

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As noticed TWD recently, your sense of humor is very limited. :p

Probably lost in translation mate.
Unlike my style!!!
Trying walking the streets of Yorkshire looking like this, I'd probably get milkshaked.

An interesting poster. :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads