• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1070647 View attachment 1070648 View attachment 1070618

Good posts here. I have a really nice Stone Island field jacket. Dark navy, almost midnight blue with Primaloft insulation and a detachable shearling piece in the collar for them arctic days.
I know most here don’t like the ostentation of S.I. but I for one like the badge.
The field jacket has the typical four front pockets— but two additional hand warmer ones below and a hidden zipped one in the left chest one.
Very warm and cozy version of a field jacket. I wear it with jeans or cords and brogues, boots, or the occasional pair of sneakers/trainers.
I suppose if I were to remove the badge, it could look OK with smarter trousers.
Of course, I probably wouldn’t take the option this fellow has pairing it with pajamas/sweatpants.

***EDITED TO ADD TWO PHOTOS OF ACTUAL JACKET***

That's a nice twist on the M65 type of jacket,Military style but without looking like an Urban Guerrilla.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cerneabbas, i only have a Barbour cap, really practical for rainy days, but i have to say - i know i am the minority here - that i don't like at all their jackets.
Personal preference...

You might not be in the minority,lots of people don't like Barbour for many reasons.
The Barbour range is so big now that there is something for most peoples tastes,I have got four Barbours in different styles and I think that people would be surprised that two of them are Barbours....possibly this is why they are putting 'branding' on their clothes now which I don't like.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Botolph , I hadn't got you down as a Stone Island fan. Living in the midst of the 'Essex Man' SI has always had certain connotations here, but I have always liked their stuff and the badge too! Looks great.

You might not be in the minority,lots of people don't like Barbour for many reasons.
The Barbour range is so big now that there is something for most peoples tastes,I have got four Barbours in different styles and I think that people would be surprised that two of them are Barbours....possibly this is why they are putting 'branding' on their clothes now which I don't like.

Barbour too, at least in Essex in'it, has now joined Stone Island, Burberrys, Armani Jeans, etc. as having a slight Chav association. But I don't care about those things and neither does the branding bother me as I was very much influenced by the 80s when logos were, of course, everywhere.

The problem I have with Barbour products is that they are designed for country life and do convey a certain old-mannish image. So, as an old man, I have to tread carefully. I have sent a few Barbour items back that I have bought online for that reason.

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that MrK has a Barbour Liddsdale and Botolph has an Aetna, does anyone else share the love of Barbour or does the image of Horsey people,farmers or Sloane rangers put you off of them ?

The social climbing aspects of Barbour are insufficient to overcome my inherent dislike of either the wax fabric of original jackets or the newer nylon garments. I find them ugly, so they do not appeal to any Hyacinth Bucket tendencies.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clouseau,I said that you might not be in a minority,I agree with some of the things that have been said and I don't like 99% of the Barbour items that I have seen but there is such a lot of it now that I can find something that I like.

MrK, Barbour here doesn't have a Chav image,mostly because the main stockist here is John Lewis,probably a place that most (I wont say self respecting) Chavs avoid.
With the ageing population, teenagers let alone Chavs are a rare sight here now,most youngsters locally are students who don't seem to wear Barbour in fact the only uniformity amongst them is Fjallraven backpacks.
Also MrK you mention that you don't mind the branding well I hate it and I try to remove it whenever I can,however a cautionary warning, one of my jackets came with an outsize locker loop type thing on the back sewn to which was a piece of leather stamped 'Barbour' it took me half an hour with a new Stanley blade to remove it only to find that the jacket had been dyed after assembly !
So now I have 2 white patches on the back of a dark Navy jacket and I will have to pay to have the inside pocket removed and made into a replica of the original locker loop !

Kingstonian,I agree with your comments about the original waxed cotton Barbour jackets,and the nylon quilted ones.
Althought the original waxed cotton jackets are practical and hard wearing there are probably better options now (Musto ?) and they never were my idea of casualwear.

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Very nice....I had a somewhat similar CP Co. jacket about 25 years ago that I wore continuously,up until a couple of years ago.Testament imo to the quality and enduring style of their output.
Conversely,I have a 20 yr old SI wool deck jacket that ,as much as I love it,rarely see daylight.I personally don’t like the badge connotation,but just can’t get myself to remove it!
It doesn’t help that I once read that Sting was an avid collector/admirer of Massimo Osti

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MrKs comments on Essex man and Chavs remind me of something that I saw on a football forum last week.
Ipswich town (not far from MrK) bought one of our players last summer and I have been following their fortunes (really should be misfortunes this season) online since.
One post that I found interesting was one of their supporters saying that he had travelled on a train full of Millwall supporters,whom he said all seemed to be wearing Peaky Blinders style caps,he then said that the rest of their attire was quite Pikey, someone then coined the term Peaky Pikey which did make me smile.

Anyway,the caps, I haven't noticed people wearing them but when I walked through M&S recently there were lots of caps in a similar style.
I don't have a TV but I was aware of the programme Peaky Blinders,having looked about online the Caps,clothes,boots and even haircuts seem to have aroused a lot of interest.
This made me think about where people get their influences and ideas for clothes now,in the past I would see people out shopping,at the seaside,in pubs and clubs at football or in films and get some inspiration,nowadays I get none of that,even a walk around the shops for and hour or so and I see nothing that I like.
In this World of scruffdom where even millionaires dress like dossers where do you get your ideas ?

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Botolph , I hadn't got you down as a Stone Island fan. Living in the midst of the 'Essex Man' SI has always had certain connotations here, but I have always liked their stuff and the badge too! Looks great.

Thank you, Mr. K. Yeah I had a quick foray into the whole “casuals” look for a couple years around 2002-03, which I now look back on with a bit of embarrassment. No matter what American “soccer” fans say or do, there isn’t an environment for true FV(thank God), and Casuals doesn’t translate over here as much as skinhead and mod did. That’s sort of the reason I went that way. Everybody was a skinhead and then went “Rockabilly-retirement-plan”— and that was NOT for me, and many of my friends in England, ex-skinheads, were Casuals. So I sort of co-opted the look(cultural appropriation??!!).
So yeah before and since then, I’ve kept it pretty suede/skin/ivy/New England/mod, with a touch of “dresser”/casual... I got rid of most of my more ostentatious Stone Island, Paul & Shark, C.P. Company, Fjallraven, etc., but I still have a couple great C.P. and Stone Island jackets/coats, as well as some select knitwear from Paul & Shark(their Bretagne range can’t be beat) and more subtle 6876 items. I mostly wear the gear to see our ice hockey team.

In the USA, Stone Island has about 5% of the stigma it has overseas, except a very small minority of those ITK, or gay clothing collectors.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MrKs comments on Essex man and Chavs remind me of something that I saw on a football forum last week.
Ipswich town (not far from MrK) bought one of our players last summer and I have been following their fortunes (really should be misfortunes this season) online since.
One post that I found interesting was one of their supporters saying that he had travelled on a train full of Millwall supporters,whom he said all seemed to be wearing Peaky Blinders style caps,he then said that the rest of their attire was quite Pikey, someone then coined the term Peaky Pikey which did make me smile.

Anyway,the caps, I haven't noticed people wearing them but when I walked through M&S recently there were lots of caps in a similar style.
I don't have a TV but I was aware of the programme Peaky Blinders,having looked about online the Caps,clothes,boots and even haircuts seem to have aroused a lot of interest.
This made me think about where people get their influences and ideas for clothes now,in the past I would see people out shopping,at the seaside,in pubs and clubs at football or in films and get some inspiration,nowadays I get none of that,even a walk around the shops for and hour or so and I see nothing that I like.
In this World of scruffdom where even millionaires dress like dossers where do you get your ideas ?

I know a couple older Millwall fellows who have been wearing those scally caps(as we call them) since pre-Peaky Blinders. A good buddy of mine who is Wall wears it and a paisley Tootal or other scarf and a harrington with jeans and polished smooths. Very dapper old school Oi! boy, and the look certainly doesn’t come off to me as subcultural as, say, if a German were trying to pull the look off.
Though he did move to Essex a few years ago!:D

As far as “sartorial” inspiration, these days it’s tough. I get inspired by photos of my grandfathers from their earlier days, Ivy style advertisements of old, the Ipcress Files type spy dramas, and I guess photos of Madness, the 4-Skins, and sharper-dressed bands of tne early ‘80s. Of course there’s the occasional blog pic of country gents or old money Boston Brahmins that look elegant enough to inspire.
Not much else out there, though!!! It seems aspirational dressing involves sweatpants and hoodies these days!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More good posts above.

I don’t like field jackets or Barbours (even though their HQ is near my home town) and will never wear them. Not due to any sub cultural associations I just never liked the look, and now I don’t have a need for ancasual winter jacket.

As for inspiration - great question but hard to answer. I love looking through GQ, Esquire, The Rake etc hoping to be inspired but very rarely see anything that makes me drool, especially in the former two. And when I do the prices - if mentioned - are usually just laughable.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know a couple older Millwall fellows who have been wearing those scally caps(as we call them) since pre-Peaky Blinders. A good buddy of mine who is Wall wears it and a paisley Tootal or other scarf and a harrington with jeans and polished smooths. Very dapper old school Oi! boy, and the look certainly doesn’t come off to me as subcultural as, say, if a German were trying to pull the look off.
Though he did move to Essex a few years ago!:D

As far as “sartorial” inspiration, these days it’s tough. I get inspired by photos of my grandfathers from their earlier days, Ivy style advertisements of old, the Ipcress Files type spy dramas, and I guess photos of Madness, the 4-Skins, and sharper-dressed bands of tne early ‘80s. Of course there’s the occasional blog pic of country gents or old money Boston Brahmins that look elegant enough to inspire.
Not much else out there, though!!! It seems aspirational dressing involves sweatpants and hoodies these days!

I just had a quick look at a couple of Youtube videos of the Spurs v Millwall cup game last season (I think) various fracas outside the ground and several of those caps being worn.

I remember those type of caps being worn early/mid 70s and I think that the inspiration for them was the film 'The Sting', Oxford bags were another 20s / 30s fashion revived about then.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More good posts above.

I don’t like field jackets or Barbours (even though their HQ is near my home town) and will never wear them. Not due to any sub cultural associations I just never liked the look, and now I don’t have a need for ancasual winter jacket.

As for inspiration - great question but hard to answer. I love looking through GQ, Esquire, The Rake etc hoping to be inspired but very rarely see anything that makes me drool, especially in the former two. And when I do the prices - if mentioned - are usually just laughable.

On the Styleforum Barbour thread there seem to be plenty of American Barbour wearers,they usually wear them very fitted or over a Suit...I am guessing that they will be way to the North of you.
I have also seen pictures of M65 type jackets worn over suits.

On inspiration, recently I watched a few old episodes of Yes Minister/Prime Minister on Youtube,I had forgotten how funny this programme was and how smart Sir Humphrey looked...in various episodes he wore a couple of nice overcoats,a Blazer, various Paisley ties and a silk scarf.

Also Razor Eddy from Turtles Progress had a good smart look.

We had many well dressed people to draw inspiration from,now the youngsters have Pete Doherty.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Re: Those caps....I think we've got Beckham and as said,Peaky Blinders responsible for the latest resurgence of these "Newsboy" titfers.
Fuc88n hate them...personally.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Botolph mentions Tootal scarf in his post, mens silk scarves in Paisley pattern seem a recurring item over the years.
Apparently Tootal quality is not so good in recent years (what is ?) the scarves from Peckham Rye look good but I don't know anyone who has one.
I recently saw some Silk scarves that are hand made by a lady in Macclesfield (Macclesfield being well known for silk production in England).
However her scarves have plain ends not fringed or with silk tassels, I like the colour and the Paisley design but I am a bit put off by the plain ends.
Should the scarves have fringes or tassels ? would the ends even show under a jacket/coat ? anyone like or not like silk scarves ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads