• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The limit to suit jacket alteration?

drewinnyc

Reaction score
Hi all - i spent some time looking through the forum but couldnt find answers so starting a new thread here.

I have a fairly thick chest and fairly narrow shoulders which makes buying suits very tough. Generally the jacket that suits my chest has shoulders too narrow and sleeves too long.

BoO size 40 (3) fits me about perfect off the rack.

Just bought couple suit jackets from Bonobos. Size 38 fits me pretty well in shoulder and sleeve length - arguably a little tight but i reckon slim fit is kinda in.

The problem is waist - there is visible cinch if i button up (the top button on 2-button style). Basically, I will have to wear this jacket unbuttoned at all times.

40 just fits bigger everywhere. Shoulder definitely too wide by about 0.5-0.75' on each side. Sleeve probably need to be shortened about 1.5'. The sleeves have working button holes so I reckon they need to be taken up at shoulders. Probably could use slight waist suppression too but not a big deal.

From what i researched here taking up sleeves more than 1' if doing at shoulder is basically not possible. And seems like taking in shoulders is a pretty major job.

SO - I am wondering if size 40 is even alterable. If not, is it a good idea to keep the 38 jacket? Probably wouldnt wear this to work. Save it for evening functions or weddings. Is it weird to wear a suit jacket and leave it unbuttoned at all times? It does look tight unbottoned but not ridiculously so I think.

size 33 in pants fit me well - like to wear them a little loose.

Advices much appreciated. If alteration for size 40 is an option any suggestion for a tailor? Seems like LNC well reviewed here. How much would it run?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads