• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The last person without a winter coat...help!

BigRedBike

Reaction score
I go to grad school in upstate new york, and it's finally at the point where my light ben sherman coat and tons of layering doesn't help anymore. I need a winter coat, but I'm having a hard time finding anything.

This is what I like: The cut will hopefully be fitted/modern but the material/look would be classic. If they weren't sold out, then I would have purchased a Dunderdon coat, maybe APC. As far as pricing if it's a really amazing coat, then I would spend $500, but I'd rather stay in the $200-$400 range. Any ideas would be great.

insideman

Reaction score
i know with a student discount and hopefully stumbling upon an in-store sale you can get a jcrew peacoat for sub $200

blynch

Reaction score
at $275 won't break the bank and it is fairly warm. I've received several complements on it. Available in black or grey. It is a reasonably slim silhouette, I went with medium and I'm 6' 165lbs, 40R suit and medium in most clothing. Looks considerably better with the collar down, as opposed to zipped up in the epaulet pics. http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...Zip-Car/Detail

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where in NY? I go to school in Ithaca and when it's cold there's nothing better then Primaloft. Way less bulky then down and just as warm.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigRedBike
Haha, Ithaca also. That cold snap we just had (err still having) almost killed me hah

Yea last night was cold as ****. What are you goin for?

czjl

Reaction score
Well North Face jackets keep you warm and are classic. haha. or moncler. I dont know if you are a fan of down jackets but hey they work.

You could try woolrich or schott. They've got pretty nice classic designs and should keep you pretty toasty.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, Ithaca also. That cold snap we just had (err still having) almost killed me hah

Darwinism still works.

I went to school in up state NY (Saratoga). It amazes me that you guys were smart enough to get into college yet not smart enough to assess the weather up there the first month.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once went to Montreal in mid-Feb with a north face, and i was still cold. I don't know how you did it with Sherman.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeahhh cornellians!!!! I just had to post this http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings 25th in nation!! Alright for coats. I absolutely hate paying retail for anything However, one exception TOJ offers their peacoat for $450 (http://graphr.net/toj/). Incredible craftmanship and detailing. From what I remember they make their peacoats from a manufacturer in korea that's well respected by their tailoring community. If you haven't heard about TOJ, it's a project started by a forum member. The idea (at least for now) is to cut out the retail middleman and the prices you get will be as close to manufacturing costs as humanly possible. Great stuff coming from them and they're a huge forum favorite. The only things I'd ever buy at retail would be TOJ and Michael J. Krell. For non-retail Billy Reid has huge sales going on. go here http://www.thechoosybeggar.com/. check the side tab. there'll be a list of sales. check out their websites. call them for help in sizing. troll b&s for deals. is about all. I lucked out at the dump and run and got an engineered garments duffle for $5. I've been wearing it all winter (poor student concept). You could also maybe check out salvation army and whatnot nearby. I've never found anything, but you never know.

BigRedBike

Reaction score
indesertum: hahaha, hell ya, top 25...first time in like 40+ years!

Awesome links btw, in fact that TOJ pea coat is amazing. You think it's worth the $450? I have never heard of this company. The choosybeggar links are good too. I have some browsing to do!

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'd say their products are products that are most worth their retail price. none of the costs of their products go into advertisement (possibly with the exception of the very minor ones they have to pay for official threads here and sufu), no retail store, only 3 employees, etc.

ie probably as little markup as possible in this industry.

i'm pretty sure he said he gets them made at the same place that makes his suits and the place that he makes his suits are pretty highly recommended in Korea for MTM/Bespoke clothing (although still not sure how it's bespoke and so low cost). (However I might be wrong on this matter as I recall that he switched manufacturers many times making his sample)

For reference my tailor in korea told me around $600 for a bespoke coat made with domestic fabrics and the fabrics are pretty good quality.

The TOJ coat also has a lot of details that are pretty time and labor intensive like the leather trimmed pockets, the leather collar underlining, and what not.

I think it's definitely worth it, but wait for more fit pics to come out. A friend of mine on campus also ordered the peacoat, so we'll see what it's like when it gets here.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I go to grad school in upstate new york, and it's finally at the point where my light ben sherman coat and tons of layering doesn't help anymore. I need a winter coat, but I'm having a hard time finding anything.

This is what I like: The cut will hopefully be fitted/modern but the material/look would be classic. If they weren't sold out, then I would have purchased a Dunderdon coat, maybe APC. As far as pricing if it's a really amazing coat, then I would spend $500, but I'd rather stay in the $200-$400 range. Any ideas would be great.

Answer:

Dear Mom and Dad,

Love you. Hope you're doing well. Do be good mumsy and dadsy and send me some some money for a nice winter coat. I think $500 would do the trick, but if you could spare more, well, all the better, no?

Do give sis a hug for me. See you at the alumni spring bash?

Yours,

Biff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads