• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We have three huge solar shades on the rear covered patio. They're remote controlled but if you're going to roll them down more than a third and it's breezy I still have to walk out and use the bungees attached to stop them from luffing. They are awesome in controlling sun and heat though at certain times of the year. The main down side is I have to completely open them once a week to make sure bats have not decided to roost in them.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I installed the orbi wifi 6 system (AX6000). One plugged into fios router and one satellite per floor connected via Cat 6 drops. I staggered where each sits within the floorplan so they aren’t on top of each other from basement to top floor. Basically i imagined each device emitting a sphere of signal and placed accordingly.

My wifi coverage was always good with my previous system and i have lots of high burden stuff connected via cat 6 so i dont see a practical difference with use, but speed tests are showing roughly 8x increase in speeds and my wifi 6 enabled gear (iphone and ipads) streams are virtually instant.

Expensive upgrade for sure (especially since i would have preferred to just add another apple airport to replace what was broken) but I think going wifi 6 has reasonably future proofed my set-up. I assume in 5ish years ill need to upgrade again.

Time will tell with regard to stability, but so far so good.

oh - and set up was absurdly easy.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stupid plumbing question...

Water is leaking from the joint with the arrow. It seems like there’s nothing securing that joint. It just slides up and down on the drain pipe. What should I do to stop the leak?

08A8D891-15C2-4737-A747-182E9F116CFD.jpeg

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Water is leaking from the joint with the arrow. It seems like there’s nothing securing that joint. It just slides up and down on the drain pipe. What should I do to stop the leak?

View attachment 1401480

Just removed the entire pipe. If you throw that pipe into the trash, it will never leak again.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1401480
Take the trap (weir) off at those two slip nuts clean everything and put it back together. Works 99%. If you need a new gasket kitchen sink is 1 1/2 , lav is 1 1/4

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take the trap (weir) off at those two slip nuts clean everything and put it back together. Works 99%. If you need a new gasket kitchen sink is 1 1/2 , lav is 1 1/4
Going to have to get pliers to remove that nut. Someone must have overtightened it in the past trying to fix the leak.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to have to get pliers to remove that nut. Someone must have overtightened it in the past trying to fix the leak.
Watch out the trap is full of yuck so put something under it . Get a pair of 8" channel locks they're like the duct tape of tools.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So .. what do you guys to to prevent, abate, deter, and otherwise murder mosquitoes ?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pay someone to spray chemicals.

I understand if people have problems with this and have tried to educate myself about doing it as safely as possible. It is an imperfect solution, but it is the most effective method.

I’ve got a kid who plays in the yard and a vegetable garden, so I want to be mindful of the toxicity. I don’t spray near the garden. I also am aware of the overall environmental impact and prefer to pay people who are trained to minimize the downsides, as opposed to doing it myself.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also worth a shot if you’re in an exurban area.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pay someone to spray chemicals.

I understand if people have problems with this and have tried to educate myself about doing it as safely as possible. It is an imperfect solution, but it is the most effective method.

I’ve got a kid who plays in the yard and a vegetable garden, so I want to be mindful of the toxicity. I don’t spray near the garden. I also am aware of the overall environmental impact and prefer to pay people who are trained to minimize the downsides, as opposed to doing it myself.

I have had people spray chemicals before with very little result sadly. The company rhymes with mosquito hoe's. Do you have a suggested company? I have sprayed cutter hose attached spray before me with decent success but it genuinely seems like if my neighbors do nothing, then it doesn't matter what I do
Also worth a shot if you’re in an exurban area.

Have you tried? I am concerned about then not liking the space and I stead deciding to live in my attic or some other less attractive space. But this could be a good idea inconjunction with other things.

Thanks!

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had people spray chemicals before with very little result sadly. The company rhymes with mosquito hoe's. Do you have a suggested company? I have sprayed cutter hose attached spray before me with decent success but it genuinely seems like if my neighbors do nothing, then it doesn't matter what I do

Have you tried? I am concerned about then not liking the space and I stead deciding to live in my attic or some other less attractive space. But this could be a good idea inconjunction with other things.

Thanks!
It works. Swallows eat them as well, but they **** a lot more close to their nests.

lastly, planting a walnut tree close to your seating area keeps mosquitos away as well. They work as a natural repellent.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The propane based lures work very well if you get them located right. Mosquitos don't fly very far in their lifetime, so you can totally crash the local population.

They're kind of expensive to run, since they constantly burn propane. But they do work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads