• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Wyoming is great except for all the damn gay cowboys.

I have a feeling lots of people, after spending a month or two being in their house with their families, are seeing the need for more space/this amenity/anything different than these same 4 walls

My wife is finally coming around to the idea of getting a second home.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cleaned out the garage today and found this. As I was cleaning the rest I noticed another nest-like structure only to see the hole where the little F’ers gnawed through the garage baseboard under some trim in a corner. Not really detectable under normal daily activities. Luckily, I was doing some other rodent abatement so I had some concrete ready to plug the hole.
E5A24D50-7B61-43B3-86B1-DCA85EFC9D02.jpeg

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's one. I'd love to hear if anyone has any advice or thoughts on this.

I have vinyl shutters on the exterior of my house. The other day, while relocating a bench to the front porch, I bumped into one of the shutters and broke two of the "screw" type fasteners that attached it to the brick (those plastic/polymer types that you knock into the brick with a mallet after you've drilled a hole through the shutter and the brick). They both broke off just inside the hole in the brick.

I can't get them out. For the bottom one, I tried to drill into it and then pull it out that way, didn't work. I then drilled a slightly larger pilot hole into it, then screwed a 3" screw into it and tried to pull it out via the screw with vise grips, didn't work. I then put in a larger drill bit and basically drilled the thing out as much as I could. When I started trying to do this with the top one, I guess I got a little too excited and broke the ******* drill bit off inside the hole in the brick. It's probably a good 1/8" to 1/4" inside the brick, so there's no way to reach in with pliers or anything else and pull it. I don't know what to do now to get it out so I can try to re-hang this stupid shutter.

Anyone have any ideas about how to fix this?

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleaned out the garage today and found this. As I was cleaning the rest I noticed another nest-like structure only to see the hole where the little F’ers gnawed through the garage baseboard under some trim in a corner. Not really detectable under normal daily activities. Luckily, I was doing some other rodent abatement so I had some concrete ready to plug the hole.
View attachment 1390078

Definitely this

Attachments

• bigfoot1.jpeg
    bigfoot1.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 30

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have vinyl shutters on the exterior of my house. The other day, while relocating a bench to the front porch, I bumped into one of the shutters and broke two of the "screw" type fasteners that attached it to the brick (those plastic/polymer types that you knock into the brick with a mallet after you've drilled a hole through the shutter and the brick). They both broke off just inside the hole in the brick.

I can't get them out. For the bottom one, I tried to drill into it and then pull it out that way, didn't work. I then drilled a slightly larger pilot hole into it, then screwed a 3" screw into it and tried to pull it out via the screw with vise grips, didn't work. I then put in a larger drill bit and basically drilled the thing out as much as I could. When I started trying to do this with the top one, I guess I got a little too excited and broke the ******* drill bit off inside the hole in the brick. It's probably a good 1/8" to 1/4" inside the brick, so there's no way to reach in with pliers or anything else and pull it. I don't know what to do now to get it out so I can try to re-hang this stupid shutter.

I would try to enlarge the hole enough to pull the bit out with a pair of needle nose pliars then refill the hole with machinable epoxy and redrill a new anchor.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would try to enlarge the hole enough to pull the bit out with a pair of needle nose pliars then refill the hole with machinable epoxy and redrill a new anchor.
Thanks. Yeah, I was hoping I wouldn't have to go brave the masses at Lowe's and get a masonry bit to open the hole up, but that may be the only solution at this point.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Who the **** would be dumb enough to sign a mortgage with a prepayment penalty?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, I was hoping I wouldn't have to go brave the masses at Lowe's and get a masonry bit to open the hole up, but that may be the only solution at this point.
You should be able to chip away brick with a small cold chisel or even a screwdriver but it would be useless after

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With luck like this I am not sure you should try any more projects.... :)

Seriously though, without knowing your exact set up (And struggling to envision it really), could you drill a different hole into the shutter and use a different groutline making the old hole irrelevant? That particular space seems cursed.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's not like people are born with financial literacy, my man.

The person that was pleased to find Quicken does not have them has gone to great lengths to impress upon us his business and financial acumen. I mean, he has lawyers (plural.)

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The person that was pleased to find Quicken does not have them has gone to great lengths to impress upon us his business and financial acumen. I mean, he has lawyers (plural.)
Ah, okay. iGent beef. Carry on. ?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member