• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hobbit (film series)

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also curious to hear how the new shooting speed looks after some early negative reviews.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HFR was weird. I didn't watch the entire movie in it.

I saw the regular release around 9pm thanks to a friend then snuck a peek at the HFR during the midnight release. It's different I can see where some wont like it. It also enhances the contrast between real objects and CGI.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched the entire movie in regular 2D. I watched about 15 minutes in 3D HFR. I don't think there's a 2D HFR showing.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just got back from the IMAX 3D HDR showing. First off, in this movie, 3D is worthless. Nothing really mind blowing there. Second, the HDR is very, very weird. The easiest way for me to describe it is like watching a video game movie cut scene. Everything has this super lifelike quality that makes it look like its being run through your graphics card. And the special effects and HDR show almost sort of separate, if you can visualize that. The backgrounds look super realistic and the SFX just come in at a sort of regular speed. Overall, I'd just recommend seeing it in 2D and saving your money.

aizan

Reaction score
I wish there was a 2D IMAX 24fps option. The 3D didn't really add anything, and the HFR made non-action scenes jerky and sped up. Moving figures were more distinct in the battle scenes, which were cute, so I suppose in this one case the new bit of vocabulary worked to the movie's advantage by reducing motion blur and stuttering. There were a couple minor instances where you could see a person do something from a distance, which was sort of neat.

That wouldn't fix the things that annoyed me the most, though. The open shadows, lighting, and high detail made sets and landscapes look really fake, like buildings in Disneyland and model railroad scenery.

Quatsch

Reaction score
I really liked it. I was concerned going in about whatever they added to stretch this, but so far I'm completely fine with it. I loved the opening backstory and the battle between the dwarves & orcs outside Moria, despite the liberty they took with the Thorin/Azog story. Really liked Richard Armitage as Thorin. Helps to be a Tolkien fan going into this, as there are lots of place-name references that are bound to sound cheesy if you don't know whats being talked about.

Last edited:

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw it the other day and really enjoyed. I agree that the 3d doesn´t really stand out, but other than that, It was a great experience. I realize now why it makes sense to split it into three installements. It would have felt too crammed if they had decided to tell it all in one single film.
Loved the part of: "Out of the frying pan, into the fire".

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just seen it, def not a fan... Snooze fest. The other 3 movies had more action and adventure with a better story line. I realize this is the pre Frodo but damn, I was almost asleep and YES 3D is worthless.

DBoon

Reaction score
Haven't seen this movie yet, but read the books. The Hobbit book was definitely much more boring than the LOTR trilogy.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads