• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hobbit (film series)

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bilbo is instrumental in saving them from the spiders in the book. In the movie, it's just a silly monster fight in which Bilbo does little more than anyone else.

I do remember that now. In the book, Bilbo had an edge about him (no pun intended) when he took on the spiders. Jackson captured a bit of it when Bilbo killed the trapdoor spider, but only in a passing head shot.

AdamsFall

Reaction score
I personally think the whole thing is going to get extended and 'rebooted' yet again when they start making movies out of the very rich vein of the Silmarillion. Tons of material, very episodic, consisting of many stories covering the creation of the universe, the earth, the species, peoples, continents, and the vast back history of Middle Earth. More Wanger Ring type stuff. Epic loves, which are missing from the other books, as well as battles, and more multi-generational empires, hatreds, etc., monsters. We even have some characters who run through it, most notably Gandalf as Mithrandir (and various other names), who, fyi, by the time of the Hobbit is about 7,000 years old. I'm thinking we'll see the first news of rights and people specing out scripts within five years.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Gandalf was not around for the First Age. He was sent, with the other four wizards, to Middle Earth early in the Third Age.

AdamsFall

Reaction score
Ooops, right. I stand corrected. Nonetheless, his age has been calculated around 6.5-7,000 years

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads